Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM

25 posts, read 205,382 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to Miami in August (it's only for a year, and for a job, and I'm very open to cultural diversity -- so don't need to be lectured about the evils of the city!)

I'm planning to get a studio or 1 BR apartment in proximity to the Metrorail or University of Miami, where I'll be working. I have narrowed possible neighborhoods down to Coconut Grove, South Miami and Coral Gables. I also have a small dog so would need a pet-friendly place. I'm planning an apartment-hunting trip later this summer, but want to do a little research beforehand.

A few questions (feel free to answer any or all):

*How is South Miami as a place to live? I've heard there are restaurants, etc., within walking distance, but is it sterile and corporate?

*Is there a big price difference between Coconut Grove & South Miami apartments? (I'm assuming Coral Gables will be the most expensive of the areas I've listed.) The rents I've seen seem similar, although perhaps you can get a bigger place for the money in S. Miami?

*I've heard there are dangerous areas of Coconut Grove. What streets border these areas? Is the Metrorail stop in a safe location?

*I've also heard the commercialized part of the Grove can be noisy at night. Streets/areas to avoid?

*I've set a price limit of $1200 for a single apartment (studio or 1 BR) -- is that reasonable? (I have found listings for $1000-$1200, and some apartments in South Miami for less than that, but do want a place that's reasonably nice/safe.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,392,349 times
The S.Miami area is the area of Sunset Place Shops. There are plenty of shops, movie theaters, restaurants. It's close to the metro rail station. The main problem there is at night on the weekends where you have a bunch of teenaged hoodlums hanging out. The come from all angles including the metro rail. There is usually a lot of police partolling the area but, it doesnt eliminate the fights and other stuff that goes on. There is an area just to the southeast of there called High Pines. It's mostly expensive homes but there are a few apartments. I dont know about pets there but I use to see people walking their dogs all the time. Good Luck.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,393,446 times
*How is South Miami as a place to live? I've heard there are restaurants, etc., within walking distance, but is it sterile and corporate? It is neither sterile or corporate, people do have business lunches at the restaurants, but it is pretty much a neighborhood place, pretty cool.

*Is there a big price difference between Coconut Grove & South Miami apartments? (I'm assuming Coral Gables will be the most expensive of the areas I've listed.) The rents I've seen seem similar, although perhaps you can get a bigger place for the money in S. Miami? Not sure as we don't rent.

*I've heard there are dangerous areas of Coconut Grove. What streets border these areas? Is the Metrorail stop in a safe location? Well, IMO the area around the metrorail station is in a shady area. Ok there are a few parts that are shady, but I will try to list a few to stay away from, don't live on the next block next to these area. So Grand Ave. runs from US1 to the center of the grove. Using it as a guide, on the north side of Grand stay away from anything west of McDonald Street (also know as 32nd Ave). On the southside of Grand, stay away from McDonald St (32 ave) to US1 on the south end Kumquat Ave (which has some cute places) it backs up to the bad area, so stay south of Kumquat if you rent in that area.

*I've also heard the commercialized part of the Grove can be noisy at night. Streets/areas to avoid? I haven't heard this...

*I've set a price limit of $1200 for a single apartment (studio or 1 BR) -- is that reasonable? (I have found listings for $1000-$1200, and some apartments in South Miami for less than that, but do want a place that's reasonably nice/safe.) I don't know as we don't rent. But my sister just rented her 1000 sq. ft. townhome out in west kendall for 1300 a month.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-04-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: