Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 PM

97 posts, read 132,217 times

Advertisements

I've been down here since "05 and it was a decision i made based on culture and weather. Originally from NJ by way of Queens, NY, I had come from serving the Marine Corps via the State Department and wanted a place that I could relate to culturally. After living in 5 different countries in 7 years, I wanted a place in which the weather was nice, people friendly, an exceptional night life and an overall sense of well being.

I really like it down here in south florida and I think the weather is a huge contributing factor. However, what I miss are the "spots", mom and pop shops or local street food vendors. I miss the mountains and hills over looking the city lights. I miss the true "customer service".

Sure, people are friendly down here compared to up north but after being here for 5 years, I would much rather deal with attitude knowing that my stuff will get done rather than the friendly let me take my time, but wait, you might have to come back in two days or, why is the front desk of a financial company not picking up their phone......

Or if i ask you a direct question, can you please give me a direct response and not pond it off to someone else who is in charge of all operations but cant be found and no one else has been trained to assist that person.

Why is it when I was late on an fpl bill because I was overseas and they were able to shut off my lights by entering the gate but when I wanted it to be turned on, i missed the appointment because the fpl agent didn't have the gate access code but had not issues when it came to turning the power off........

or when i am a national food chained store and the cashier gives the amount owed on a piece of scratch paper because of the ever so "language barrier"

or how is it that road services did not forsee an increase in population and constantly have to create even more traffic to widen or connect road ways which leads to re-routing into a bunch of one ways -which will have to be upgraded sooner or later which will then be another jam.

or why do sprinklers come on at 7pm and have to spread as far as the middle of the road and get half of my car wet.

I am sure i missed of a few and just in case you were wondering, it can't all be sweet love..... There has to be something wrong somewhere.....

BUT, i have learned to live with the above and i can honestly say that i love south florida.

Although I would love to visit california and experience the asian/american culture as i fell in love with it having lived in 3 different asian countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 06:26 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I think you still like South Florida because you knew what you were getting into before you moved here. Most people are unhappy after relocating because they didn't know what to really expect after the honemoon period ended.

If people move here for the right reasons, they will be happy. If they move here uniformed, for palm trees and the allure they see on TV, they are often disappointed and outta here fast.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 AM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
I moved here for the job, better pay. I really did not think about Miami culture, or anything else. Just bottom line, I could make more money here. I miss Fall, seasons, skiing, mountians, "being home" , but here I am, probably for the rest of my life. I suppose, given the job I have, this is where I would have ended up, I never really thought about that when I was choosing my career.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 AM

317 posts, read 819,670 times
If it wasn't for the sprinklers hitting my car it would never get cleaned..lol..I can relate to the sprinkler thing. I was raised here but born in the northeast and would always visit up north every year for months at a time so I got to feel the contrast. Miami is slow. I was ordering a sub a subway the other day and the lady was going so darn slow I wanted to jump over the counter and make it myself. Also the street thing is completely true. I've been here in Miami since 2 yrs old and only in the past 5 years have they widened roads and added lanes. Also the expressway sucks, I take the side streets until I get to the noncongested part then hop on. Miami you have to hate to love it.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:22 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
15 more years and I am outta here !

Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
15 more years and I am outta here !
check your pm dade

Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 AM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
It may just be me, but I really cannot figure out how to get around here. I grew up in the west, where streets are layed out on a grid pattern, wide streets, all squared off.

And wtf is with the way streets are numbered in Homestead? I had a gps, and a laptop, and still was lost there.

I just continue to hold onto my GPS for dear life, without that thing, forget about it. Anyone with tips on how Miami is layed out, or how streets are numbered here, let me know.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 AM

317 posts, read 819,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
It may just be me, but I really cannot figure out how to get around here. I grew up in the west, where streets are layed out on a grid pattern, wide streets, all squared off.

And wtf is with the way streets are numbered in Homestead? I had a gps, and a laptop, and still was lost there.

I just continue to hold onto my GPS for dear life, without that thing, forget about it. Anyone with tips on how Miami is layed out, or how streets are numbered here, let me know.
You must live way down south or in Hialeah because its quite easy.

From Downtown Flagler St up to Aventura the numbers increase NW,NE
From Downtown Flagler St down the numbers increase SW,SE
Hialeah is a pocket of nonsense they made themselves a seperate city and some streets numbers are off the grid.
Homestead is no mans land and its so desolate how can you even get lost in the first place not to much to get lost into.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 9,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colione98 View Post

or why do sprinklers come on at 7pm and have to spread as far as the middle of the road and get half of my car wet.
I thought it rains everyday here. I hope that does not bother you too cause that will get your full car wet.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico y Suave View Post
I thought it rains everyday here. I hope that does not bother you too cause that will get your full car wet.
wish i had an answer for you but i can't think of a witty response.....

and besides, i wasn't asking for a politician....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami