Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,138,943 times

Advertisements

I live in W. Kendall and believe it or not, I still use an antenna - no cable, no satellite, just the old fashion way of doing it. Can't afford cable/satellite, and besides, if there were one more channel for my DH to change to he'd be losing that remote someplace where the sun don't shine!

Since "the switch" we've had problems maintaining good reception and we can't figure out why. The reception will be fine for a while and then we'll lose some channels for a while, they come back, while other channels are fine. We may not get some in the family room, but do get some in the kitchen - both hooked to the same antenna.

We get some channels in the kitchen (small 13" tv hooked up to box) that we can't get ever in the fr (HDTV so no box) For instance, we get 9.1 but have never been able to get it in the family room when we scan - there's a few others as well.

The picture will either lose signal or be so bad that it looks all garbled. It comes and goes on a whim and we can't figure out why - the antenna hasn't moved and then all of a sudden, as mysteriously as it goes out, it comes back.

Anyone else having this happen to them - I can't be the only one still using an antenna in Miami. Our antenna is an outdoor antenna and worked just find before we had to switch. Sometimes we try to better reception by thinking if we turn it it will get better - it helps some channels, than in the meantime, we lose others.

Will have to suffer if there's no easy fix here - any ideas??

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Typo - should have been OVER THE AIR ANTENNA USERS <duh>

Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,027,100 times
if you have internet.which you obviousely do, why not take a leap of faith and try out Direct TV ?? Its awesome. Really

Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,683,109 times
Paying for that propaganda that comes from big media is disgusting. Cable and satellite subscribers are just throwing money in the toilet along with their turds. I am also a free TV guy but have extremely limited reception here. However, I have an old C-band dish and a newer FTA reciever. My parents in Miami have over air antennas and the digital signal has been a disaster. However, I built a three-sided reflective antenna on a 30 foot tower for them and reception improved immensely. As interference varies during the day and night signals gain or lose strength.

Please, do not get direct TV, that company has a history of poor customer service and even extortion of non-customers to scam money out of them through phony lawsuits. Tune out the TV and get your news online instead.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM

No dierct TV either for us - just want the old standard to come in okay. My parents live in the Gables and they have some issues with their antenna OTA outside antenna AND with rabbit ears in another room.

I'd just like to know who has dealt with the same problem and how they've fixed it, if they have - was it getting a new OTA antenna?

It's funny to hear people complain about their bills, like a friend of mine, who have cable/satellite/directTV. They will not give up that luxury for nothing. When she tells me their bill for TV, cell phone and computer is over $400 I just want to die laughing! Don't complain about your bills and the lack of things you can't afford, if you can throw that much money to these companies, unnecessarily. No one NEEDS these services, like no one needs call waiting, caller ID, etc.

I'll stick with my outdoor antenna, even with the crappy reception. At least it's one of the last few things in life that are free.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,042,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

It's funny to hear people complain about their bills, like a friend of mine, who have cable/satellite/directTV. They will not give up that luxury for nothing. When she tells me their bill for TV, cell phone and computer is over $400 I just want to die laughing
DirectTV and DSL don't cost $400, she must have the wrong cell phone plan, time for her to switch to an unlimited minute cell phone plan.

Everyone can afford internet service. Juno has a free plan, it's 10 hours a month. If people need a cell phone they can get a prepaid plan and limit their cell phone for emergencies. T-mobile has one with no monthly fees(Pay as you go)I do not consider cable a waste of money if someone watches a lot of TV and has a basic plan that they can afford.

The cable argument is way overrated, people waste more money in food, alcohol and recreational drugs.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 51,452 times
hmm i thought that was just a virginia thing...

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,027,100 times
I don' consider it a luxury, but rather a necessity. I love being informed, always. Love to stay abreast of everything. I pity the people that have no clue what I am talking about when I bring up a serious incident that occurred in another state or the the huge Fortune 500 company that just declared bankruptcy. I can always pick out the people that do not watch cable or satellite TV. They seem to be zombies, unaware of what is going on in our great land. Sure, eventually they will realize it through word of mouth and watching NBC nightly news. But there is a certain keenness about being up to date on nearly every important and non-important news story out there. You can only get that from watching CNN, FOXnews, MSNBC, CNBC for financial stories. I hate to say it, but people that have no clue what is going on seem lazy and lack ambition in my eyes. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: