U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-21-2009, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 19,231 times
Default Have to move to Miami, help!

My husband works in Miami (Kendall area) and he's been commuting for 3 years now to Georgia and we just can't take it anymore. He hasn't been able to find a job in this economy and so it looks like I'll have to move to Miami rather than he to Georgia.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a year and hated it. So, I don't have any dreamy expectations about Miami. Can anyone advise on a safe and affordable area to look for housing? That wouldn't be too much of a commute to Kendall? We have two kids, ages 4 and 15 that we'll have to put in private school I know. The younger one will be in school in the Kendall area and the older one we haven't decided yet. I know the schools in the area well, looked at them already. So I'm aware of the scary prices and what not.

I've even considered building a houseboat and just renting a slip there. Are there any places to live on a houseboat that are a decent commute to Kendall?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I just know things have changes there drastically since the real estate pop. Not sure about the safety and affordability now days.

Thank you so much for any help AND rest assured I won't allow myself to be one of those jaded people that lives there and complains all the time! If I have to live there I'm going to make the best of it.

zev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM

6,269 posts, read 11,665,046 times
What do consider affordable in housing? Are you looking to buy or rent? The best thing is to probably rent for a year first ,some place close to your husbands work in Kendall. This way you can get to know the area better before you buy something. That said Pinecrest has some pretty good schools, so if you can afford to live in their school district you could save some money on schools. East Kendall is actually pretty nice, relatively safe and close to many things.

Unread 10-21-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks. Well, I would like to find a three bedroom for about $1500. I think Pinecrest is higher than that isn't it? We would def. rent for at least 6 months to look around properly and know the area's. In an ideal world we would prefer to eventually move into an area that we knew some friends in. When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I found that the traffic was so bad that it was hard to get together with anyone we were good friends with because of the commute, even when it was only a few miles it could take forever!

I get a physical reaction when I think about having to drive down there again! It scared the he@@ out of me how fast and reckless people drove on the interstate. Miami wins worst traffic award head and shoulders above anywhere else in the U.S.! Even worse than L.A.

That being said, what parts of Kendall do you think are affordable and, is it all fairly safe? Even west Kendall? Since he's working there I assume we'll have friends in the area. Can you rent a 3br. for about $1500 there?

Thanks so much! As for the schools, we're pretty settled on private. We love the school our 4 yr. old would be attending and it's very unique, can't really get the same thing even in the good public schools. As for the 15 yr old, he'll be in 10th grade and because of A) being able to get into a good college easier and B) the crime/gangs at some high schools we really want him in private school as well. I know that they have some of the same problems as public schools but I just feel safer with him at a small private school and he prefers this as well. He's currently in a high school that has a large focus on arts and he really likes that. There are also only about 70 kids in the whole school which would have driven me crazy as a teen-ager but he really loves it.

Thanks again!

Unread 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM

261 posts, read 376,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevpoppy View Post
Thanks. Well, I would like to find a three bedroom for about $1500. I think Pinecrest is higher than that isn't it? We would def. rent for at least 6 months to look around properly and know the area's. In an ideal world we would prefer to eventually move into an area that we knew some friends in. When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I found that the traffic was so bad that it was hard to get together with anyone we were good friends with because of the commute, even when it was only a few miles it could take forever!

I get a physical reaction when I think about having to drive down there again! It scared the he@@ out of me how fast and reckless people drove on the interstate. Miami wins worst traffic award head and shoulders above anywhere else in the U.S.! Even worse than L.A.

That being said, what parts of Kendall do you think are affordable and, is it all fairly safe? Even west Kendall? Since he's working there I assume we'll have friends in the area. Can you rent a 3br. for about $1500 there?

Thanks so much! As for the schools, we're pretty settled on private. We love the school our 4 yr. old would be attending and it's very unique, can't really get the same thing even in the good public schools. As for the 15 yr old, he'll be in 10th grade and because of A) being able to get into a good college easier and B) the crime/gangs at some high schools we really want him in private school as well. I know that they have some of the same problems as public schools but I just feel safer with him at a small private school and he prefers this as well. He's currently in a high school that has a large focus on arts and he really likes that. There are also only about 70 kids in the whole school which would have driven me crazy as a teen-ager but he really loves it.

Thanks again!
First of all, I'm glad you've decided to make the best of your situation! I've met people who live in shacks and are happy because of their outlook on life. It's the most important thing...

Now, renting is an excellent idea. It'll let you "try before you buy," if you will.

As far as traffic, start getting yourself used to it. It's going to take longer, and people are going to drive crazier. Find a decent radio show, or invest in satellite radio (local radio isn't that great). Don't let bad traffic keep you from friends! Having good friends and spending quality time with them will keep you more sane than bad traffic will make you insane. If you'd like, take a defensive driving course, but in order to avoid drawing the ire of the locals, I would invest in some good tires for a car that you really feel comfortable driving, and pick up the pace a little bit; you don't want to be that person doing 55mph in the fast lane.

Kendall is probably the most family-oriented 'large' area in Miami-Dade. If you live in East Kendall, or Pinecrest, your husband will have the added benefit of going AGAINST traffic to get to West Kendall in the morning, which is huge! Pinecrest is very nice, and yes the schools are good there. However a 3 bedroom house for $1500/mo. is going to be very hard to come by, especially in Pinecrest.

Start doing some craiglist searching and explore neighborhoods with the Google Map Street Viewer!

Unread 10-21-2009, 09:51 PM

The defensive driving tip is great. I never thought about that before. I don't consider myself a grandma driver or anything, I just thought the drivers in South Florida were insane! Thanks for the tip, I'll sign up for one for sure when I get there!

Unread 10-21-2009, 10:36 PM

3,371 posts, read 6,913,923 times
East Kendall is generally the nicest part of Kendall, but there are some areas of West Kendall that are very nice, safe, and family-friendly as well. I would personally recommend that you check out the Crossings/Devon Aire/Calusa Country Club area south of Kendall drive and between the Turnpike and SW 137th Avenue. The primary schools around there (Calusa, Devon Aire) are very well-regarded. The high school (Sunset) is fine as well; it isn't one of the "best" ones but it has all different kinds of kids and classes offered, so your kid would probably do fine there. You might be able to find a three bedroom home or townhome for around $1500. This is how the area looks:

kendall fl - Google Maps

kendall fl - Google Maps

kendall fl - Google Maps

kendall fl - Google Maps

Unread 10-22-2009, 10:09 AM

523 posts, read 641,109 times
I live in the hammocks area in a 3/2 small/medium apartement and rent is $1,300. For a house for that price it's going to be really hard to find. Schools here are not that great and private schools are very very very expensive. Traffic is horrendous as drivers are. Try to get out of the house more than an hour before so you don't make it late to work.

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 22,012 times
hllo zevpoppy. i am also looking into moving to miami area and have kids 7 and 14. i am still totally in the dark when it comes to the schools. you seem to have figured out a good plan. would you mind sharing with me the names of the schools you chose. my 14 year old would really benefit from attending a super small artsy school. here the high school is great but has 7000 kids and is full of spoiled rich party kids and i hate it. totally unruly and crazy. thanks and good luck too... i am in the process myself.

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,209,461 times
It will be just about impossible to find a house for $1,500 a month. That is an unheard of price.
As for traffic it really is not that bad espcially if you live near your work. Traffic in Miami is no where near as bad as DC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta. If you live near your job there should not be much of a problem.
Pincrest is a nice area but homes there will be a little bit expensive. Kendall is not a bad area and one of the better areas to raise a family. But it is a major suburbia place but I imagine that is something you wont mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami