Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times

Advertisements

If there were someone saying how great this place was, I'd call them exaggerated. By the same token, most of these bashers are grossly exaggerated. They are either miserable, depressed, racist, some of the above, or all of the above. Some of them will never be happy no matter where they live. Again, it's not easy to pick up and move away, but if my life consisted of bashing an area and/or an ethnic group of people on a daily basis, I would take my losses and go live somewhere else. Nothing is ever going to change Miami. The latins aren't going to go anywhere. The congestion will only get worse and the rest of the country will soon follow. I don't like this place, especially to raise a family. I will be leaving once I retire. I make the best of it. I enjoy the weather, my family and friends. I try not to go out during rush hour and I avoid areas with high crime rates.

Some of you Moderator cut: personal/off topic

Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM

279 posts, read 471,649 times
i think there is a difference between giving honest negative opinions about miami and making a life of it...averaging 7.35 posts per day. I'm a regular poster here and i only average .75 posts per day.
And to say that someone is telling it like it is, is different from someone saying "newcomers have ruined my childhood home, i wish a Cat 5 hurricane would wipe the place out"...be careful what you wish for...if he thinks his taxes are high now, wait till his city/county is bankrupted by the requests for social services. Think FEMA is gonna foot the bill?, not all of it.

I was born and raised in atlanta...lived there 39 years...it was once a small, clean, safe, and beautiful place. Now it is a huge, dirty, dangerous and ugly place with smog. Those 2 lane highways that were empty at 11pm are now 16 lanes and full of cars at 11pm. That is life. The population is growing...i do not harbor any hate for people moving to atlanta. I hate the place now and i moved. It is not our world and we are not entitled to dictate where people can or cannot live...sprawl is part of life...you can accept it or just be angry and bitter all the time.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
good points...I've said before that I think a lot of people on City Data are looking for some kind of elusive promised land in this country, when in fact there are fewer and fewer places in the US that left that aren't overcrowded. There was just a study that came out and they said that by 2030 there will be 11 more US cities that have the same level of traffic that LA has now. Face we have 300 million people now. And there is no mythic "white America" that some of you seem so desperate to recapture, and there never has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1963 View Post
i think there is a difference between giving honest negative opinions about miami and making a life of it...averaging 7.35 posts per day. I'm a regular poster here and i only average .75 posts per day.
And to say that someone is telling it like it is, is different from someone saying "newcomers have ruined my childhood home, i wish a Cat 5 hurricane would wipe the place out"...be careful what you wish for...if he thinks his taxes are high now, wait till his city/county is bankrupted by the requests for social services. Think FEMA is gonna foot the bill?, not all of it.

I was born and raised in atlanta...lived there 39 years...it was once a small, clean, safe, and beautiful place. Now it is a huge, dirty, dangerous and ugly place with smog. Those 2 lane highways that were empty at 11pm are now 16 lanes and full of cars at 11pm. That is life. The population is growing...i do not harbor any hate for people moving to atlanta. I hate the place now and i moved. It is not our world and we are not entitled to dictate where people can or cannot live...sprawl is part of life...you can accept it or just be angry and bitter all the time.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
If you want to move to Miami, just read the posts that you want to read (postive ones), ignore all the other posts. But if you really truely want to now Miami's issues you need to read all the posts. There are people on here that label others as bashers for telling the ugly secrets of Miami or say they exaggerate everything (I wish this was the truth). But the bashers are the ones that are telling it like it is. If you want an accurate view of Miami the negative posts for the most parts are the ugly truths about Miami. It's your choice in how much you want to know about Miami.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-19-2007 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: added

Old 05-19-2007, 10:57 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
A major hurricane changes the face of the community. Many people move away (and that would be a good thing considering the high percentage of trash gangster wannabe ghettoids in Miami). No one is wishing for personal destruction of property...just the chance for Miami to start somewhat anew and do things right and have a chance to build bigger and better. All of these positive posters aka real estate agents, investors and newbies or the people just detatched from realty will be the first to go...but all of us "negative" posters will be happy that the market will then correct and come back in line...wheras the people who like status quo are benefiting financially currently. It is really that simple...

Moderator cut: off topic

Hurricanes are a fact of life here...and a strong one will someday come and make us start from scratch again. Mindlessly repeating how great it is here will not keep the inevitable from happening.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:04 PM

158 posts, read 647,032 times
So because you like living here youre all of a sudden dillusional, a real esate agent, or a newbie!?!?
I know plenty of people that like living here, and theyre not just newbies or all those other stuff you people say, theyre newbies,people living here for years or people that have lived here theyre whole life. And also most of you arent lying, there is crime, poverty, traffic, spanish, but you make it out to be like hell or close to it.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Moderator cut: personal/off topic

I want to see the "little guy" get the same chance my parents had. I want people to have the same chance I had. And as for being racist, get real. I don't care where someone is from, what language they speak, what does it matter. All I ask is that immigrants come here LEGALLY and then assimilate into the local culture. It really bothers me to see people grouped into an "undeclass", low paid and here to serve others, that's just wrong. Having affordable housing and commercial space goes a long way to help an economy like Florida's. face it, we have a very shaky foundation for economic progress. Lately it's all based on real estate, when it crashes look out! One major hurricane would push over the house of cards we have and a domino effect would wipe out many other industries. Face it, Florida is just a money pit unless we get some REAL industry.

Florida facts, we have no metals, or mineral deposits other than limestone, we have very little petroleum production, and our agricultural industry has been in decline. High-Tech companies aren't flocking to Florida. Most of our jobs are in low-paying industries. We have high energy demand for the homes and businesses due to our oppressive climate.There's simply no reason Florida should be so expensive except for speculators. And once they get burned the party is over. Give us locals a chance, you'll be amazed at what we can do!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Hey Tallrick

I was agreeing with you....not attacking your post. Hope it didn't come off that way.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,503 times
Default sooo overrated....I'm ready to explore outside of CA

I love beauty. I love living in a beautiful beachie place, even when I don't have a lot of money to spend..... I'm from good old L.A., well actually.....the valley. That's like the New Jersey of LA. It's still LA but more suburban. I'm like 5 to 10 minutes away from the "glitz and the glam" of Hollywood; As you can see, I don't like it out here. I'm sick and tired of living here. I've lived here for 16 years and I'm ready to move. So why is it that I don't like LA as much as others here may? Well, where can I start? It's over priced, over crowded, over exaggerated, way too much hype, competition, etc., etc. Way too many starving, struggling actors who are so snobby, egotistical, narcissistic sociopaths! Everyone here is extremely narcissistic and snobby, even if they're starving to death and butt ugly! I guess mostly because EVERYONE HERE IS AN ACTOR!! I mean when you look at them, they're so mediocre and plain, with no talent or that special spark but, they insist on acting way bigger than they are with their big nose up in the air! I mean, why can't they just get a clue, grow up and get a real job? In short, actors in LA are con artists waiting to be discovered! So if you're new to LA, stay away from actors or most LA people, who seem too good to be true because you might be another victim of a con. Also, if you're an "actor" moving out here to be "discovered" Well, be prepared to suck a lot of dick..... The more dick you suck, the better your chances of being "discovered" but then again, there's like a million other people standing in line to suck that same dick you were hoping and praying to suck.... And if you're thinking "well I"m a straight guy, sucking dick ain't my thing" you've got another thing coming. I think you'll be sucking more dick then memorizing those pathetic lines.

I also don't think LA is prettier than Miami. I think Miami is gorgeous, well at least from the pictures I've seen. I haven't been there actually but I'm eager to go this summer. That's why I'd actually like to read more about life in Miami from fellow Miamians.... OK back to LA. Well, there are ghetto areas and nice areas. It's a huge city but, it's just not that pretty. Hollywood is not how people picture it. Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, West Hollywood even good old Studio City is over rated! I've lived in most of those areas and I think there's way too much hype. It's not that gorgeous....well maybe the hills....but way too expensive to live up in the hills! Plus, I'm not much of a "hills" person, more of a beach girl. I'm a beachaholic but I refuse to go to the beach...it's just plane nasty!!!! You know it's filthy when you look at how green the ocean is! It's just too polluted for me. That's another reason why I'd love to live in Miami. I hear the beaches are amazingly gorgeous! Also, I'm big on living by the beach, but unless you're a glitzy movie star or a real estate icon, forget about finding affordable beach front property in LA. A beachfront broken down shack is like a million dollars! Plus, if you're thinking about living here in LA, get a hybrid car, you'll need it bad. You're going to spend most of your life trying to get to a destination, because of how spread out the city is. So you're going to do a lot of driving, whether you like it or not. Forget about public transportation....you'll never get where you're trying to go.....

OK so in short.....unless you love celebs, fake people, snobs, con artists, superficials and such.....don't move out here. This does not include struggling actors. I think the only people who should live here are the "actors" The rest of the normal people should all go live in all the other beautiful destinations this Country has to offer.....one of them being Miami. Plus I'm not racist or anything but I think Cubans are hotter than Mexicans.....but that's just me.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
its not too hard to find good people who arent 'actors' in LA. the problem is you lived too close to hollywood. try the beach cities. lots of hippie-ish types and surfer types, lots of down to earth people too.
those sad pathetic wannabe-actors are what i stayed away from and everyone seems to talk about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami