Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 AM

261 posts, read 703,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
No I disagree, Crisp did a very good job in the area, he does have some yellow on it. I disagree with some of the dark greens but I'm not sure about the exact boundaries (parts of Cutler Bay close to Whispering Pines or East Perrine and the South falls area by 152 st, and some parts of East Kendall by Dadeland should be light green, but it's hard since things can change from block to block
I know he has some yellow on it. It's how much yellow that I disagree with...

Not to disparage his work, I'm still highly impressed overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Agreed. Winston Park I would also consider an above-average area. The housing is nice and not cheap, they've got a well-regarded school and park in the center, and low crime.

I definitely don't think all areas of West Kendall are light green material, but I would take any area in Winston Park, Lakes of the Meadows, or the Hammocks over the area South of Country walk, between 137th ave and 167th ave south of Coral Reef Drive, which is shaded light green.

I had a good friend growing up who lived in that area, and I remember the neighborhood as being full of kids up to no good. Not a true ghetto area, but lots of weed selling and smoking, tagging, breaking into cars, fights in the streets...and eventually my friend ended up getting shot and killed in this neighborhood as well.

Perhaps I'm jaded by personal experience, but I've never had a high opinion of the place, especially versus the above.
CJS,

After taking a Street View tour through several streets, I've decided to go with your recommendation of changing Winston Park to light green. I always thought of it as a non-upscale, average area, but it turns out there are some very nice streets there. Regarding the area south of Country Walk, check out what I have done. I have kept the older, nicer section north of SW 168th St. as light green and have changed the newer area south of it to yellow. Thanks for your comments. As it turns out, I am not a walking atlas, so I can use input like this to make my map even better.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
No I disagree, Crisp did a very good job in the area, he does have some yellow on it. I disagree with some of the dark greens but I'm not sure about the exact boundaries (parts of Cutler Bay close to Whispering Pines or East Perrine and the South falls area by 152 st, and some parts of East Kendall by Dadeland should be light green, but it's hard since things can change from block to block
The southern Falls area is easily a "5", but the other side of the canal (Richmond Heights) is a "2" (with some "3" streets mixed in, but I can't literally be going block by block to rate). It's not a matter of on what side of Coral Reef Drive you are (and besides, all of the Falls area is above it), it's a matter of on what side of the canal you are.

There are some small areas of East Kendall that should be rated "4" instead of "5", but again, that would require me to start breaking down the map into even smaller areas.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times
So,keep improving your map.day by day,after all a city is a living creature,it changes every day...

Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
You left out part of Miami Lakes.

The area north of 924 and between NW 87th Ave and 826 is part of the original Miami Lakes - it should be shaded dark green.

Very impressive effort - kudos to you!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times
I propose a few improvements...

1) Introduction of the black colour,for super rich areas/spots,with 2m+ homes,
millionaire's rows,blocks,GC,etc...
2) Intro of gray for rich areas,1m+
3) Intro of orange ,between light green & yellow,
That will be the "average",
thus pushing the yellow areas into negative perception,like the yellow traffic light.

Yellow,red,purple will be the below average areas.
Orange is the new average.
Light green,dark green,grey,black is the above average areas...

So,
black= super rich
grey= simply rich
dark green = upper middle class
light green = middle middle class

orange= lower middle class,the average Miamian,by national statistics...

yellow = working class & poor,but "relatively "clean
red= poor to ghetto,bad reputation
purple= full ghetto,Dodge City...

8 categories in total,for refinement...

Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I'm working on a Broward map that is based on crisp's system. So far, I have all of Hallandale, Pembroke Park, West Park, Hollywood and Miramar, and some of Pembroke Pines. I worked my way up from the county line. I'll post what I have soon.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Here is what I have so far Untitled - Google Maps

Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Here is what I have so far Untitled - Google Maps
This is great! And even better, I agree with most of your ratings

Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm working on a Broward map that is based on crisp's system. So far, I have all of Hallandale, Pembroke Park, West Park, Hollywood and Miramar, and some of Pembroke Pines. I worked my way up from the county line. I'll post what I have soon.
You're going to get to mapping this area fairly soon but I have a question about it: what are the demographics (race/ethnicity, income, age) of the area right behind South Plantation High School? Also, same question for the area directly to the east (part of Fort Lauderdale?) that is south of Davie Boulevard and north of 595. On the map the area is labeled as Riverland Village/Lauderdale Isles/Chula Vista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami