Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
I hear that Miami is crazy expensive to live in, and some friends of mine told me that it's not even worth it because the weather is too hot and job market is really bad and even if you do graduate from college, you'd have to live with your parents for who knows how long before even getting an apartment of your own...

What is the minimum salary would your need to get by in Miami on your own? I think my friend makes high 20s and she's not really living the high life, ya know?
Just got back from a Cuban Pig BBQ near Coral Way. Do you know what that is? They buy an entire pig (eyes, mouth, etc, included), and then put garlic, orange spray, and other spices and cook it outside on a huge grill. It's a similar cooking style to how they do it in Argentina, except that it takes up less space, and is more efficient (in my opinion) and has the same high quality taste.

At the Pig BBQ, we were all talking about Gringos/Anglos who move to Miami, and we all agreed - they tend to stay an average of 3 years, and 95% leave before 5 years. A large % (40-50%) don't even make it past year 2.

Is it overrated? Yes, I think for those from the North it is, because they have such different expectations than the reality - and the reality for them is mostly less pleasant than the dream. Seeing that most of everybody leaves before year 5, I would say that if it's not "overrated" on their part, it's most certainly "over-appraised" by them. Many think that they can make it easier in Broward or PB, but they end up leaving there as well.

In any case, if Miami is over-rated, the responsibility falls on those who have over-rated it, not for those of us who live here and work.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You're right. Also folks from the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Colombia move to Miami. I could see why they'd like Miami, it's the closest thing they got to where they came from originally.
Have you been to those places? How do you know what they look like?

For someone that complains about rude people, your behavior in this forum is not necessarily the most polite as you don't live in this city and your posts are never helpful.

You have used screen name after screen name, guitar gyro, trusses, scientific madness, and the other one million screen names I can't recall at this time. All come here to put down Miamians, hispanics more specifically. What do you get with all this negativity? What is your purpose? Do you feel better belittling other people? You don't know us and you have no right to tell us what we are. My family and I are first generation immigrants, the type you love to make negative generalizations about and your comments are very insulting to us. Some of us in this forum might have a higher standard of living than your family, maybe 2 times or 10 times, maybe 20 times better, again you don't know us, and some of us don't go around bragging about things we might or we might not have. Use your energy more wisely and sell that home in Orlando already.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Miami is overrated? I dont know anyone that thinks much of it in the first place. I know there are a lot of people from Cuba and Haiti that live there and enjoy Miami.
Thanks for your insightful , informative and thought provoking post about Miami .

Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Miami is a great place if you are wealthy ,because there is plenty to do morning ,noon and night. I for one love to visit here because it has beautiful scenery and different than any other big cities,but I doubt I would want to live here as more than likely the novelty would wear off and the hustle and bustle would be too much.

People that bash this place it is because they are jealous of this city, I wish Jacksonville had the beauty Miami had ,but that doesn't make me envy the place, just glad that Florida has a city like Miami.

I wouldn't say Miami is overrated just over-priced.
Good post and you sum up the feelings on many of our friends amnd family ... ..... cool place to visit , vacation and party in ... but it leaves a lot as far as a place to live , raise a family and frankly make ends meet .. .... you are correct many areas of Miami Dade County have a unique feel and beauty .... it is many of the people that live in Miami Dade which make it somewhat undesirable to live in . I love the Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra areas myself but could see coming down to Miami a couple of times a year to get my "fix " of the oceans , palm trees , Cuban food and Spanish style stucco architecture .

Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Are you American by chance? It seems like many Americans are/have already left and others who enjoy Miami are from other countries where Miami may actually seem like paradise.
That does not matter ..... I know many Americans of Hispanic origen who also hate Miami and have left .... it is not an ethnicity thing . I met a Cuban American guy last time I was in Gainesville , who had moved with his entire family to North Florida because he disliked Miami ... also have friends from Argentina and Colombia who have moved to Atlanta and Palm Beach Gardens respectively after having lived in Miami ... both disliked Miami inmensely ... again to each his own and it is just a matter of personal tastes .

Old 11-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Have you been to those places? How do you know what they look like?

For someone that complains about rude people, your behavior in this forum is not necessarily the most polite as you don't live in this city and your posts are never helpful.

You have used screen name after screen name, guitar gyro, trusses, scientific madness, and the other one million screen names I can't recall at this time. All come here to put down Miamians, hispanics more specifically. What do you get with all this negativity? What is your purpose? Do you feel better belittling other people? You don't know us and you have no right to tell us what we are. My family and I are first generation immigrants, the type you love to make negative generalizations about and your comments are very insulting to us. Some of us in this forum might have a higher standard of living than your family, maybe 2 times or 10 times, maybe 20 times better, again you don't know us, and some of us don't go around bragging about things we might or we might not have. Use your energy more wisely and sell that home in Orlando already.

Superb post

Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
If I were Cuban, I think I'd like Miami too! That's all I'm saying. A lot of people like being around folks that remind them of home, there's no reason to bash my post about people from Cuba and Haiti loving Miami.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Superb post
Agreed.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Just got back from a Cuban Pig BBQ near Coral Way. Do you know what that is? They buy an entire pig (eyes, mouth, etc, included), and then put garlic, orange spray, and other spices and cook it outside on a huge grill. It's a similar cooking style to how they do it in Argentina, except that it takes up less space, and is more efficient (in my opinion) and has the same high quality taste.

At the Pig BBQ, we were all talking about Gringos/Anglos who move to Miami, and we all agreed - they tend to stay an average of 3 years, and 95% leave before 5 years. A large % (40-50%) don't even make it past year 2.

Is it overrated? Yes, I think for those from the North it is, because they have such different expectations than the reality - and the reality for them is mostly less pleasant than the dream. Seeing that most of everybody leaves before year 5, I would say that if it's not "overrated" on their part, it's most certainly "over-appraised" by them. Many think that they can make it easier in Broward or PB, but they end up leaving there as well.

In any case, if Miami is over-rated, the responsibility falls on those who have over-rated it, not for those of us who live here and work.
There isn't anything falsified about what Miami is, I've told poeople this befor and I'll say it again. If you go to New York City, expecting it ALL to look like Manhatten then you're an idiot. If you come to Miami, expecting it all to look like South Beach then you're an idiot. The South Beach hype is all real all there. So get over it, if you lived in Miami you'd know, Miami is simply popular because of its location AND South Beach. Not Little Haiti, not Aventura, Not Brickell, not NMB, Not Miami Shores.. Just South Beach.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
If I were Cuban, I think I'd like Miami too! That's all I'm saying. A lot of people like being around folks that remind them of home, there's no reason to bash my post about people from Cuba and Haiti loving Miami.

You are sugar coating it now and playing the "what did I do victim role " because you know her post is accurate and right on ... I personally find it very odd that some one who does not even live down here would spend so much time bashing a place and taking backhanded shots at other ethnic groups ... also changing your screen names after being banned by the moderator is very weird . Please move to NC and stop posting ... please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami