U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,527,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabone41 View Post
Also, what about the public transit system. I'm pretty confident in the pgh bus system; I ride it everyday. Would the fl public bus be an option?
Here's a link for information on bus routes: Transit (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes1.asp - broken link)

Though the MetroRail is pretty reliable, I have heard mixed things about the bus. I don't think there's a bus route that goes between St. Thomas and Miami Lakes, but check the map; I could be wrong. NW Miami-Dade isn't very transit friendly and most people get around by car. You'll find that it's pretty inconvenient to not use a car for most of your daily activities in Miami-Dade unless you live Downtown, in South Beach, or along one of the MetroRail lines. Unfortunately, Miami Lakes isn't near any of those, so your best bet is to just move down there with a car. Perhaps you can carpool with a fellow student who also lives in Miami Lakes.

If you have any other questions about moving to the Miami area or about starting law school, let me know. I'm a 3L here in NYC and grew up in South Florida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,527,371 times
Quote:
Ok. I appreciate the info.
So Its ok if I ride my bike to class, as long as I'm headed there during the day?
If you ride along NW 167th street, I don't think anyone will mess with you, but again, it's not the best route for a bike rider. There really aren't any good alternatives to that route because Miami Lakes is isolated from the "bad areas" to the east due to a "buffer zone" of the Opa Locka airport and some industrial zones between it and where you'll be going to school. Feel free to ride your bike or walk around Miami Lakes at all hours, though; it's a pretty safe place.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 15,150 times
I'd prefer to get around car, but, having a 2003 PT crusier, I'll honestly be surprised if she makes it from PA to FL. So I suppose what you all are saying is, I'm going to need to drive to class? I'd really, really, prefer to bike it. So if anyone knows of a safe route, I'd really appreciate it. Any sort of public transit or really anything besides my very unreliable car would be awesome.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 PM

787 posts, read 1,082,802 times
Quote:
Ok. I appreciate the info.
So Its ok if I ride my bike to class, as long as I'm headed there during the day?
I went to grad school there. You'll be ok with your bike on campus, but I would definitely get a car. Miami isn't big on public transporation and you might not want to be on the buses after dark in that part of town

Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 PM

49 posts, read 109,588 times
Quote:
Hey,
I'm headed to law school in January at St. Thomas University. Its at 16401 NW 37th Ave, Miami Gardens, FL.

I'll be living in Miami Lakes, 4 miles east.

Since I'm from Pittsburgh, I was wondering if I'd be ok in that area to bike to class, or even be safe.

Thanks!
A woman was actually killed in that area last night by a high-powered rifle.
Police seek tips in Miami Gardens deadly shooting - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1367417.html - broken link)
I agree with the other posters, try not to wander away from the university. Better safe than sorry.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 PM

3,633 posts, read 2,767,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Miami Lakes is a fine area. The St. Thomas campus is not bad, but don't step outside of it.
It is NOT in a good area. Being a 22 y.o. in good shape male means nothing around there so just drive a car to and from school. Ride your bike in Miami Lakes.

this is true because there are not really too many gangs in Miami but in the poorer sections like around St. Thomas there is a get money anyway you can mentality..and lots of young dudes packin heat in those neighborhoods looking to make some money by stealing a bike a pair of shoes or whatever if they sense u don't know where youre at or if you seem like an outsider....one thing about Miami when coming from somewhere that looks more like a city up north is that the palm trees outside of the tropical looking architecture doesn't make things any safer when it comes to people with the mindsets of getting money to eat or pay thier bills by selling drugs or robbing people....and there are plenty of those kind of people around those neighborhoods in the St. Thomas area

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 AM

6 posts, read 15,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
I went to grad school there. You'll be ok with your bike on campus, but I would definitely get a car. Miami isn't big on public transporation and you might not want to be on the buses after dark in that part of town
Did you have any problems with safety getting to and from campus or while on it?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM

5 posts, read 5,727 times
Not a real good idea. If you a watched and it is assumed that you are not really from around there the not so nice people will take advantage of you and it may cost more than the money they want out of your pockets or bank account. please take this advice if not a car a really fast scooter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami