Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 AM

17 posts, read 30,556 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to Miami this June from Orlando.And i am bringing my son with me and I wondering what do you all consider to be the best Elementry school in NORTH Miami?I went to Martin Luther King but if i can remember correct that school wasn't very good. He will be entering 4th grade in August.I am trying my best to make this move as easy as possible on him. I want to have everything in order by the time we arrive which for me means doing my reasearch.I will be moving back to Little Haiti. Please do waste your time bashing this post.I am seeking helpfull advice.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM

140 posts, read 506,226 times
Public schools (except for magnet/special ed schools) are assigned by geographical boundaries. So if you know where you are going to live, then search for the assigned school here:

Dadeschools.net

Then check the schools "grades" here:

School Accountability Report...

Alternatively, if you haven't determined where you're going to live, then start with the grades first. Choose the school you want for your son, then get a home/apt within that school's boundaries.

There are also certain caveats with the rankings, since they are weighted to demonstrate the school's IMPROVEMENT over it's ACHIEVEMENT. But you're in Orlando so you're prolly already familiar with all the FCAT controversies. In general, I think the rankings are the best way to compare public schools.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Thank You for the help.I have alot of family in Little Haiti thats why I am strongly considering moving back there but I am not opposed to looking into living else-where so that my son can recive a better education. And boy oh boy FCAT is quite a hot topic here in Orlando! This will be his first year taking it...

Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
You can do better than Little Haiti schools, and to be honest not much worse. How far would you be willing to stray in distance and budget?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 AM

I honsestly don't know how far I would be willing to go! Budget well im making roughly 38,000 after taxes. I just grauduated from school and owe quite a bit of money from student loans...At that Im a single mother and having family nearby would be quite helpfull with raising him.Distance idk I would just like to stay in Miami.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,031,450 times
I think Miami Shores or Miami Springs are the closest good areas, but I don't know anything about their schools but for sure they have to be better than Little Haiti's. I would probably recommend an apartment in Miami Springs.

That link that feelquiet posted Dadeschools.net is great, use it.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Ill look into that area. Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami