Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 AM

177 posts, read 570,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Yeah, except for In-N-Out and Trader Joe's.
I would kill for both those places in South Florida, being a ex california native.

As for pollo campero, it's a pretty crappy substitute for Pollo Tropical. But any competition is welcomed as sometimes my local Pollo tropical gets complacent and the food/service isnt always consistently good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 PM

38 posts, read 342,915 times
Like their food, just think it's too expensive...

Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Horchata? Is that like avena? I didn't really like Pollo Tropical, but I guess I was comparing it to Pollos Mario from here in NY. Has anyone here had Pio Pio or Pollos? Their chicken is very yummy. I didn't love Tropical, but I didn't hate it either.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
No it's not avena, avena is better(I love Avena, maybe I'm biased). Avena is made with oats and it has a richer texture. Horchata I believe is mainly from Mexico and its made with rice and it's more watery.

You can make avena just by grinding Quaker Oats and mixing them with milk, sugar and maybe cinnamon. It's very healthy actually. I grind them in a small coffee grinder.

The best thing to try here is Cuban Cafe con Leche.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I love Avena too - I make my kids drink it too. Truthfully, I have never heard of Horchata. Doesn't sound very appealing. Have you been to NY? Do you know Pollos Mario (Colombiano) or PIO PIO (Peruano) - best chicken ever! Is there anything like that over there? I wasn't a fan of Tropical.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM

199 posts, read 475,722 times
Actually Horchata is very tasty and better than avena. It is not the mexican version. They sell the Central American version which is made by grinding the seeds of the Jicaro plant (looks like a gourd), rice and spices. It is stirred into cold milk and sugar is added. The taste is unique, kind of a like a mild chocolate milk with cinnamon.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 21,280 times
Don't know about here in the states but best fried chicken I've eaten was Pollo Campero in Guat City.

Also don't know whether still open/of same quantity and quality but small eatery next to U.S. embassy had great filet mignon at excellent price.

Last, former Brit gov's mansion in Belize City had superb lobster stew though it [also?] may have changed over last 30 years.

There are excellent prep/product in most all these cities/nations [unlike a few things I've eaten in E Asia although when ordering jellyfish tentacles a surprise is in waiting - contrarywise, rat in Central Malasia tastes like you think it might].

Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
I would kill for both those places in South Florida, being a ex california native.

As for pollo campero, it's a pretty crappy substitute for Pollo Tropical. But any competition is welcomed as sometimes my local Pollo tropical gets complacent and the food/service isnt always consistently good.
Native Miamian here and I'm right there with you - dying for Trader Joe's and In and Out. I can see why we don't have In and Out's since they're pretty regional, but come on Trader Joe's! We need you down here.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Native Miamian here and I'm right there with you - dying for Trader Joe's and In and Out. I can see why we don't have In and Out's since they're pretty regional, but come on Trader Joe's! We need you down here.

the pollo campero in cutler ridge just shut down. lame.

trader joes youll never see here short of maybe west palm beach. they locate branches in areas based on the percentage of the population with masters degrees. in and out you may see here eventually. the heir of the franchise couldnt give a crap less about the franchise itself and wants to see it expanded as far and wide as possible sacrificing quality. it was all over the papers in socal about a year or so ago.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
the pollo campero in cutler ridge just shut down. lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami