U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-28-2009, 09:17 PM

5,231 posts, read 8,634,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Yeah, wasn't the Jackie Gleason show broadcast from MB?
Yes it was. My high school buddy and I used to be vendors at the Orange Bowl Stadium. He sold coke and I sold programs. Jackie used to come to some of the games and would say hello if you greeted him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,545,028 times
I love the history of Miami. I've been reading up a lot on the various decades. Miami's history seems to be like a roller-coaster. It has gone through tremendous ups and downs. The 1920's seemed to be a remarkable period for Miami before the hurricane destroyed the city and the Great Depression kicked in. The city was depressed for so long until WW2 when all of the military families moved down. Then the area prospered in the 50's and 60's and grew tremendously. Then the 70's brought in tough economic times. Then the Cocaine Cowboy era in the late 70's and early 80's brought in tons of wealth to the city, but the times were marred by crime, racial tensions, and riots. The white flight during the 80's, Miami Vice, and the glorification of the drug culture here. Then the area exploded in growth from about 1982-2005.

I think it is a mis-characterization to say Miami is "ruined". It is just way different than in the 50's. It is a great city IMO. Lots of interesting things to see and architecture. The city gets a bad rap for the crime problem, but is drastically overblown by people who do not live here but have opinions. The crime seems to have been a lot worse back in the early 80's during the drug wars. Today, Miami's crime isn't much worse than L.A., Atlanta, Baltimore, or Detroit. There are some really bad areas in Miami, but if you stay in the good areas you are just as safe as anywhere else in the U.S.

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:44 AM

177 posts, read 329,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The old animated neon was legislated out of existence.
Why? those old signs were so cool looking, I especially love the pepsi bottle cap one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami