Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times

Advertisements

Anglos aren't leaving Miami because of minorities they are leaving Miami because of the traffic, rude people, weather, crime, hearing spanish all the time, etc.

Its funny but the Anglo community isn't the only community that has issues with people different than themselves as we have discussed. For instance I had two black people knock on my door once. I never open my door to anyone, I mean even a white police officer, I will not open the door. And when they saw that I wasn't going to open to the door, they automatically pulled out the race card, "why because we are black". Wow were did this come I said to myself and I explained I don't open the door to people that I don't know. Well they walked away, all awhile saying I was a racist. To me they obviously had some racist issues that they personally have to deal with, if the first thing that comes to mind when someone doesn't open the door to you, is their skin color. Not maybe this homeowner doesn't know us and isn't expecting us?

My point is that there is racism in each community, black, asian, hispanic, etc. that need to be dealt with inside each community before you can even think about tackling racism with people outside ones race. I was raised not seeing color if that makes sense, I see Mr Smith not as a black man or a white man, he is just Mr. Smith. But many in this community see Mr. Smith as, the hispanic/black/white/haitian man Mr. Smith. As long as people see skin color/race first when they see someone they will continue to pass racism down to the next generation. Its a known fact that many things like racism are learned and if we don't teach racism it can stop (maybe not totally). Calling people by their names and not using their skin color or heritage to describe them is a good way to stop racism. Meaning leave out the racial parts when introducing/talking about someone, like that hispanic guy down at the market, or that white girl in the bar, the black bus driver and instead just say the bus driver, the girl, that guy down the block. Because its not putting an emphasis on what the background of the individual is, rather the person themselves.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-11-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Anglo-Americans in Miami do not have a problem with Cuban-Americans or even with many Cubans. Some Anglo-Americans have a problem with the minority of Cubans (as in, this doesn't apply to most Cubans) who don't seem to be interested in assimilating to mainstream American culture and learning to speak English well. Adding to this problem, especially in the last 10-20 years is the fact that immigration from several other Spanish-speaking countries has rapidly increased. Many Americans in Miami (including many Americans of Latin heritage) feel that Miami is becoming dominated by immigrants that aren't as inclined to assimilate as earlier immigrant groups have been. Though I do believe that most immigrants do make efforts to assimilate, I think the aforementioned concern is a legitimate one.

Since you are from the Mediterranean, I will give you an example from there. Along Spain's Costa del Sol there are thousands upon thousands of British expatriates living in gated communities there. Many of the Brits make nearly no effort whatsoever to learn Castilian and seem very uninterested in the Spanish culture. This is upsetting to the Spanish locals. When I used to live in Madrid, I discussed the issue with a couple of people who vacationed on the coast and even read a few negative opinions regarding the issue in a newspaper. In short, this is the issue many Americans, both Anglo and Latin, have with the newer immigrants to Miami. Again, I disagree to an extent because I believe that most immigrants to Miami do make efforts to assimilate, but I can certainly see their point. The concern isn't with people of Latin origin and it certainly isn't with Cubans; it's of a perceived lack of effort to assimilate to mainstream American culture and learn (and use/practice) English. People in Pennsylvania in the mid-to-late 1800's voiced the exact same issue with the stream of immigrants coming from Germany.
Superb post Crisp

Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I just had a neighbor who is anglo just yesterday say to me he wants to leave Miami. I asked him why, he said he was tired of going into stores and all you hear is Spanish, he said a few other things too he was tired of Miami. And he wants to move back to California if that tells you anything. He said Miami isn't Multi Cultural its 60% hispanic and growing. I just ran into an old friend today who is not anglo and he too has had it with Miami and wants to move. I asked him why, and he mentioned the spanish thing too, along and wanting to start a family, he said he wouldn't raise a family here in Miami and he grew up in Miami if that tells you something. He said the last 10-15 years Miami has changed so much and not for the good. From what I have seen its not Anglos alone that stereotype Cubans people from other countries do stereotype Cubans too. What I have learned is usually the people in the minority will have issues with the people in the majority. An example the blacks in the south have had issue with the white majority. So the minority here the white and blacks will have problems with the majority hispanic Miami population.

I will say this, I know many anglos that have left Miami already, and many that would love to leave but haven't yet. But just the same I know a few non anglos that want to leave Miami too. Are anglo numbers going to continue to decrease or increase. I probably would lean to a decrease, just for the fact many anglos that are still here are older and they will probably die here. Many of the anglos I grew up with didn't return to Miami after college, and will never return.
I got back from California just after Thanksgiving ( los Angeles ) .. you better warn your friend that he will be hearing about as much Spanish in LA as he has been in Miami ... I was in Santa Monica at the Promenade near the pier and I was shocked at how much Spanish I heard and how many people of Hispanic and especially Mexican background I saw . Even in Beverly Hills and off Wilshire I heard a ton of Spanish in the stores and shops .... your friend better move to Oregon or Washington state if hearing Spanish is an issue .

Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM

^^^He's looking at San Fran not LA.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Quote:
Well he will need to learn chinese, almost half of the population in there is asian. Of course, I am being facetious, but thepoint is that this is a nation of immigrants and people can't escape minority groups, especially in large cities/populated areas.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Yes great post Crispy..I second that!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Oh my God even worse. The things I have seen in San Francisco are not even close to what I have seen in Miami.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Ok I think we need to get back on the topic of Miami culture.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Well he will need to learn chinese, almost half of the population in there is asian. Of course, I am being facetious, but thepoint is that this is a nation of immigrants and people can't escape minority groups, especially in large cities/populated areas.
That is why he wants to move to California for more diversity, some anglos aren't running away from hispanic population here in Miami. They are looking for more diversity, that Miami doesn't really have. Miami isn't very diverse when 60% plus of people are hispanic. He wants to see other cultures than just one.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Very good post Crisp! You see things very objectively! It is a breath of fresh air. I think every person has their own prejudices against cultures/ethnicities/nationalities/races. That unfortunately is not going to change. At least I don't think so.

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 01-12-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami