U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM

340 posts, read 603,468 times

Advertisements

I'm born and raised in Chicago and currently working at a Walmart (yes, I know- trust me, it sucks) in New Orleans. My mother lives in the South Florida area and has unfortunately fallen terribly ill (we think possibly swine flu), so I'm looking to transfer to a Walmart branch in the Miami area to be closer to my mother.

Due to the small pay Walmart gives its employees (here I'm making 9.30 an hour) I'm going to be looking to get a cheap apartment. I don't need to live in areas like Brickell, Miami Beach or Coral Gables. I don't care about the neighborhood too much, I can carry myself well in tougher areas. A little rough around the edges is fine, but at the same time, I'm not looking to live in bombed out Baghdad either. Studio's are good with me, 1 BR's would be great too though, if possible. I'm looking in a possible range of ~$400-$550.

New Orleans apartments were way more expensive than I thought (about 500-600, not even including utilities, for a studio), even more expensive than the studio I had in Chicago (520 including everything but electricity). So if I can transfer to Miami, the cost of New Orleans (usually peoples biggest arguement for New Orleans) is not really worth staying here for me, since it's basically almost equal price for a crappier quality lifestyle. What's the point, you know?

Anyways what areas do you recommend for a range of around $400-$550/$600? A little ghetto or not, does not really matter, just as long as it's not absolutely in despair. I've been to Miami plenty of times, but how would you compare it's lifestyle with that of New Orleans (expense, quality of living, etc.)?

Really appreciate the help, thanks alot everybody.

EDIT: If it is ABSOLUTELY impossible to find a studio, anywhere in that price range, please recommend what you would think would be the cheapest possible studio apartment price in the Miami/Dade area, and what neighborhood(s) it might be located in. It is very important that I get to Miami somehow. Thanks again.

Last edited by HumboldtParkShiner; 01-22-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 PM

3,773 posts, read 7,008,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
I'm born and raised in Chicago and currently working at a Walmart (yes, I know- trust me, it sucks) in New Orleans. My mother lives in the South Florida area and has unfortunately fallen terribly ill (we think possibly swine flu), so I'm looking to transfer to a Walmart branch in the Miami area to be closer to my mother.

Due to the small pay Walmart gives its employees (here I'm making 9.30 an hour) I'm going to be looking to get a cheap apartment. I don't need to live in areas like Brickell, Miami Beach or Coral Gables. I don't care about the neighborhood too much, I can carry myself well in tougher areas. A little rough around the edges is fine, but at the same time, I'm not looking to live in bombed out Baghdad either. Studio's are good with me, 1 BR's would be great too though, if possible. I'm looking in a possible range of ~$400-$550.

New Orleans apartments were way more expensive than I thought (about 500-600, not even including utilities, for a studio), even more expensive than the studio I had in Chicago (520 including everything but electricity). So if I can transfer to Miami, the cost of New Orleans (usually peoples biggest arguement for New Orleans) is not really worth staying here for me, since it's basically almost equal price for a crappier quality lifestyle. What's the point, you know?

Anyways what areas do you recommend for a range of around $400-$550/$600? A little ghetto or not, does not really matter, just as long as it's not absolutely in despair. I've been to Miami plenty of times, but how would you compare it's lifestyle with that of New Orleans (expense, quality of living, etc.)?

Really appreciate the help, thanks alot everybody.

EDIT: If it is ABSOLUTELY impossible to find a studio, anywhere in that price range, please recommend what you would think would be the cheapest possible studio apartment price in the Miami/Dade area, and what neighborhood(s) it might be located in. It is very important that I get to Miami somehow. Thanks again.
You'll be lucky to find a room for that price range.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,585,530 times
For 600-700 a month, you could get something "a little ghetto" in North Miami.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM

3,773 posts, read 7,008,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
For 600-700 a month, you could get something "a little ghetto" in North Miami.
A little ghetto? hmmm

Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 11,107,227 times
Where is your mother located? Do you want to be relatively close to her? Do you have a car?
Check out Craigslist and TheFlyer.com.
You can find plenty of "efficiencies" that are $500-$600 and even lower and they always include utilities and even your own parking space.
More than likely it will be in a heavy hispanic area but not a bad area.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Status: "It's almost Christmas (and Christmas break)!" (set 21 days ago)

794 posts, read 1,101,701 times
Keep in mind that a lot of efficiencies allow only 1 person in the unit. It won't be easy to find a rental in your price range, even in a sketchy neighborhood. Rents are not cheap here...plus a lot of rental homes with (and without)efficiencies) are in foreclosure so do a public records search at the property appraisers/clerk of court websites before you give anyone a deposit...good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 AM

6,488 posts, read 13,194,739 times
OP - In the $400 range you are pretty much looking at renting a room with a roommate. I saw a sign from the turnpike in Cutler Bay that had rent for $650 a month, probably a one bedroom.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 PM

523 posts, read 748,673 times
You may find something in the Homestead area, which is 15 miles away from Miami.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 PM

47 posts, read 109,655 times
You re gonna be miserable if you make 10$/ hour in Miami.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,821,801 times
First of all, getting a job at Wal Mart here would be like getting in as a cook at the White House. There are only so many Wal Marts, and there are literally sooooo many unskilled people here vying for that job...and that know the manager or slept with someone that knows the manager or that are willing to sleep with someone to get that job lol....and on top of that, people that are bilingual, know the local customer base etc...
So unfortunately your experience may not be important to the person who does hiring.

Next I would say that you cannot live on a Wal Mart wage alone in Miami....and you would be spending lots of money on driving to Wal Mart from wherever the whole in the wall efficiency that you could afford is located...and even then, I think an efficiency will be closer to 700 a month. A room in a house will be cheaper, but that is literally a room that is rented out and there are privacy issues there, and that may not be what you are looking for if you enjoy having guests over every now and then.

In essence, don't move to Miami if you are going to be working at Wal Mart. Try somewhere else and visit Miami when you can or see if your mom can move closer to you or you both move to a more affordable area.

You final option (and most likely one) is to find a roommate. You could probably share a 2 bedroom for around 500 a month...but like I said, I highly doubt you will be able to get hired at a Wal Mart in Dade County, so make sure you have that or an alternate job lined up before you move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami