Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 PM

57 posts, read 172,884 times

Advertisements

Is this a trick question? Basically the author says:

"Why don't people live in a crappy city somewhere with no money, so at least they can't complain they can't afford to do anything, because there's nothing worth doing, then move somewhere where there is stuff to do, but you can't afford it?"

Nice way to look at life.

First of all, the weather is free. Tell me, whats the difference between a $300 gas bill and a $300 electric bill? Which is more fun - spending your saturday at the free beach, or spending your saturday digging out from under 2ft of snow?

Also, resourceful people will still be able to take advantage of things in miami that do not exist anywhere else. My wife and i just had our wedding in miami - you know why? Cause it was the cheapest place we could have a nice wedding! Imagine that! We had our pick of ANYWHERE in the world to have our wedding, and after studying place after place, miami came out on top, when balancing how much it would cost vs. how amazing it would be. It cost more to have a reception up here in pittsburgh than it cost to have a wedding and reception in miami - and the miami one was MUCH nicer! You don't HAVE to have your wedding in a ballroom at the loews (although that's where we stayed - for $150 a night!), you can use the BEAUTIFUL surroundings to your advantage. You don't have that in buffalo, pittsburgh, etc.

There were days down there where we spent very little money, and still had a good time. You just have to be able to enjoy life around work. Today i spent 4 hours shoveling 2 feet of snow. Gas bill is $300 a month. Have to buy crap like winter tires, 2 sets of clothing (summer and winter), etc. Wears your car out. It rains or snows more than 50% of the days. There is very little to do. Half the year you don't even want to leave your house. Tell me, how is miami worse than this?

If the only thing that'll make you happy is getting $500 bottle service in miami beach, then yes, you're not going to be very happy down there on a 15k salary. But if that's what it takes to make you happy, you have bigger problems than where you live. That said, i don't know how anyone can be happy living in buffalo...or pittsburgh...on ANY salary...go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,900 times
pghsebring

You came to Miami as a tourist, you have no idea how people struggle here! Most individuals here make betwen $15k-$20k a year with kids and/or dependents! Most people in Miami don't even have high school and they don't speak English... If you want to progress and look for opportunities, this is not the place for you. If you don't care to live in Little Havana with loud neigbors and party 4 days a week (using your credit card ) under a $15k salary, this is the place for you! Also, you get sick of the weather fast, it's not funny to have 90 F and 90% humidity year round and working 60 hours a week just for surviving! Can't wait to leave this crappy and filthy city called Miami...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:30 PM

353 posts, read 814,194 times
Agree with most of what marina said,people kill themselves in miami just to keep up with the lifestyle,and most are broke as hell and put up a big front like they are rich

Old 02-06-2010, 02:49 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,900 times
Exactly

Most scene you see in Miami (the big SUV, brand clothes, dining at fancy restaurants) is plastic money...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Well I agree 100% with pghsebring and thinkin about it. The OP asked, and these guys gave exactly the answer. I did exactly the same thing. Went to MIA for all the reasons they stated - out of the cold, things to do, the beach etc. I worked at day labor usually 3 days a week making slightly above minimum wage. I lived 2 blocks from the beach, ate cheap food, drank Genesee for 2 bucks at six pack and bought 2 for a dollar cigarettes. We didn't give a crap about the posers on Ocean Drive. All the expensive crap on MB is utterly worthless compared to just the natural amenities. You could plow under every hotel restaurant and waiter leaving only the beach and the ocean and it would still be paradise.

And as PPs mentioned, sure most people who flee the tundra for the Miami sun aren't doing so trying to raise a gaggle of kids. It's a great place to go as young adults, singles, couples w/o kids, etc. If ya don't got money, you can live for the beach, the sunset on the pier at South Pointe, and just the general partying that goes on everywhere. See, Marina complains about the nonstop partying. But the ones who are doing the partying aren't unhappy about it! And Marina, I have to tell you, Miami is often rated as the cleanest city in America. The spectacular green white and blue natural colors accented by the pastel styles is fabulous.

Sure, MIA is not easy to live in, but most of the problems are nothing Giuliani couldn't solve in a couple months.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 PM

353 posts, read 814,194 times
The pictures mean nothing to me,beauty is still in the eye of the beholder,i never said miami is evil,or the worst place on earth,and happiness is a state of mind,whether stuck in snow,or in days that are hot ass hell,but regardless,no matter where you are at in the world,what good is it with no money?unless you want to live like some tribe people that you see on the discovery channel. places like miami,and califronia,are expensive for a reason,cuz these cites attract alot of visitors,thats how they make most of their money,so a city like miami does not need to pay its workers much,when they make money off tourist...

Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
pghsebring

You came to Miami as a tourist, you have no idea how people struggle here! Most individuals here make betwen $15k-$20k a year with kids and/or dependents! Most people in Miami don't even have high school and they don't speak English... If you want to progress and look for opportunities, this is not the place for you. If you don't care to live in Little Havana with loud neigbors and party 4 days a week (using your credit card ) under a $15k salary, this is the place for you! Also, you get sick of the weather fast, it's not funny to have 90 F and 90% humidity year round and working 60 hours a week just for surviving! Can't wait to leave this crappy and filthy city called Miami...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Exactly

Most scene you see in Miami (the big SUV, brand clothes, dining at fancy restaurants) is plastic money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Agree with most of what marina said,people kill themselves in miami just to keep up with the lifestyle,and most are broke as hell and put up a big front like they are rich
If you need those things to be happy, your problem is not with miami, its a lot larger than that...

You all assume the only way someone can be happy in miami is if they drive a fancy car (like everyone else supposedly) and go to fancy clubs (like everyone else supposedly) and run up your credit cards to live some sort of "fake" lifestyle (like everyone else supposedly).

As for "filthy" - i take it you've never been to nyc. And there are lots of things to do in miami that don't require you to be "seen" or whatever the hell people's preoccupation is with...how about worrying about what you're doing and what makes you happy instead of how other people are judging you and your possessions?

I got married in a full suit on august 31st outside in key biscayne - i can handle a little heat. Maybe some people can't. Up here i freeze to death with my heat set at 72 and in the summer my AC is almost never on (set on 78-80). When we were down there for an entire week, the last week of august, one of the hottest of the year, we had no problem with the heat. We walked around outside all day and night. Didn't bother us in the least.

Maybe if you put aside your desires to be "big and rich" and "be seen" and think those things will make you happy, you could actually live a happier life...there are tons of things around you down there that you could be doing right now. I can't. I've been stuck in my house for an entire day because they won't plow the road.

We plan on driving something like a toyota yaris and not going to clubs even once a week, maybe a couple times a month at most. We're almost 30, crap like that doesn't impress me anymore...can't you people just be happy with the weather and the nice parts of miami? I'll make another post and tell you about our wedding...which anyone could have down there...show you what you're missing...

Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I know one family, they live down there, the wife cleans condos on fisher island, and the husband resells industrial equipment (can work from anyone in the country). They have two kids. They don't need to drive mercedes and go to clubs. They choose to live there, when they can live anywhere they want in the entire nation, and they like it.

I have a couple of friends that moved down there (actually, the same week of my wedding) and after living north of miami, they moved to coconut grove. They like it. She took a bike ride over to key biscayne the other week. Didn't cost her a fortune. They don't drive any bmws or whatnot. He actually got a better job down there that pays better. They live in a nicer place than up here. Lots to do besides acting fake and impressing others...

Now, our wedding. We scouted around for outside locations for a monday evening - and found one, which was free. It was a marina on key biscayne, there was a little grassy area next to it. I found the "harbor master" and asked him if it was ok if we had a wedding there - he said sure. That was on sunday. On monday when i went to pick up palms, etc, from the area, he had already sent a guy over with a truck and a lawnmower, cleaning the area for us. We called around and rented chairs for LESS than the SAME EXACT CHAIRS cost us up here in pittsburgh for our second reception - we drove to a warehouse by the airport, picked em up, drove em back down to the ceremony area. Had a friend set them up. Found an officiant online that was actually from PA and lives down there now (by choice) for a great deal. Found musicians from UM for a good deal. Found our photographer on craigslist (we got 40 replies in 8 hours, plently to pick from). Got the license from courthouse we walked to in miami beach, waited less than an hour. After the wedding we went to a place that served dinner under the miami spice menu, paid for dinner for 20 people and drinks for all of them. Restaurant turns into a night club, we stayed til 4am. They gave us a deal on a bottle for the people that wanted to stay that late and free champaign. During the week when we wanted dinner everywhere was willing to give us a great deal due to economy.

None of that is possible in pittsburgh. And it has nothing to do with us living one place or the other. We could not find anywhere as beautiful as down there, the weather is not as nice, no way we find a restaurant that turns into a club that people actually go to on a MONDAY, and the crap actually cost MORE up here! How the hell is that possible?

Listen, if you think there is some magical place that is PERFECT in this country, you're not going to be happy. Sure its easier being on vacation everyday down there, but that doesn't mean you can't do things on your days off. Would you prefer living in a place thats cold and there is little to do at all on your days off? There's a reason there are 5 million people there and not in pittsburgh.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM

112 posts, read 282,426 times
dont move here without a job please the palm trees aint gonna pay your rent you have to make 40k mininum to live here

Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM

107 posts, read 338,500 times
I have to agree with Boston and Pittsburgh. You can have a great life in Miami. Even if you make little money. If you are willing to live small. The pursuit of material posessions is the problem. There are so many cheap and free things to do in Miami. I take my daughter to the beach nearly every weekend that im in town. We swim and build sand castles. All FREE ! We pick up a sandwich and soda and take it to the park some weekends. Total, $6. Stop measuring your life by the car you drive or the sq. footage of your house. And you will have a much better life. I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami