U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM
 
248 posts, read 295,862 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Good luck with your work and school Gixx.
Thanks Chelsa, and good luck to you with your move.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
 
248 posts, read 295,862 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Troll alert: Do NOT feel the troll like I just did.
I present a detailed argument why I think college is necessary and your response is to make another disparaging ad hominem attack. Classy lady.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
 
327 posts, read 548,517 times
Reputation: 192
This thread is stupid. Try making 15k, even LESS, in New Orleans and I guarantee you, you will be crawling on your hands and knees back to Miami, where I plan to relocate myself. I just moved to New Orleans from Chicago for the job market, and now that I have my foot in the door, I plan on relocating under the company to the Miami-Dade county area ASAP.

Let me paint a picture of my workplace in the Jefferson Parish area. You have two groups of co-workers: the ghetto ones who all have rap sheets- teenage pregnancies, dealing crack, dropping out of high school, fighting with customers, packing heat, OR you have the ignorant, stupid, uptight and prejudiced "southern" redneck types who do nothing but thump bibles, rat you out to management for no good reason, and won't even give you the time of day just for being a "yankee". That is it. Oh and say goodbye to your little no income tax privelege you all are blessed with over there in Florida. Add that to the cost of living here, which is nearly identical to Miami, and you will be taking home absolutely NOTHING for a lifestyle that consists of absolutely NOTHING. When I tell people down here that I moved from Chicago they just ask "why?", and when I explain that there are no jobs in Chicago they are STILL confused as to why I came down to New Olreans. They'd literally almost rather be broke and homeless in freezing Chicago then be financially stable down here. It really is sad how miserable people are down here. It is no wonder they base their whole life and feelings off of a football team, putting their houses into mortgage just to see the Superbowl.

This place sucks so bad, I will take Overtown/Liberty City/Little Haiti/Havana ANY day over New Orleans or Jefferson Parish, Superbowl or not. This place is pure evil. There is something extremely unsettling, an off vibe or something, about this swamp city. Something in the air you can't put your finger on. Maybe it's because either you're slanging crack in section 8 housing projects or you're getting lectured at about why you'll go to hell if you use curse words. If that sounds appealing to a broke person in Miami, I will gladly switch places with you. PM me.

Oh- and did I mention- the best part is, EVERYTHING COSTS THE SAME AS MIAMI!

Last edited by HumboldtParkShiner; 02-11-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Cooper City, by way of NYC
2,756 posts, read 3,976,127 times
Reputation: 459
I think the correct term would actually be cuss not curse, at least for that part of town - I'm trying to make you smile - your life seems kind of bleek right now - sorry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
This thread is stupid. Try making 15k, even LESS, in New Orleans and I guarantee you, you will be crawling on your hands and knees back to Miami, where I plan to relocate myself. I just moved to New Orleans from Chicago for the job market, and now that I have my foot in the door, I plan on relocating under the company to the Miami-Dade county area ASAP.

Let me paint a picture of my workplace in the Jefferson Parish area. You have two groups of co-workers: the ghetto ones who all have rap sheets- teenage pregnancies, dealing crack, dropping out of high school, fighting with customers, packing heat, OR you have the ignorant, stupid, uptight and prejudiced "southern" redneck types who do nothing but thump bibles, rat you out to management for no good reason, and won't even give you the time of day just for being a "yankee". That is it. Oh and say goodbye to your little no income tax privelege you all are blessed with over there in Florida. Add that to the cost of living here, which is nearly identical to Miami, and you will be taking home absolutely NOTHING for a lifestyle that consists of absolutely NOTHING. When I tell people down here that I moved from Chicago they just ask "why?", and when I explain that there are no jobs in Chicago they are STILL confused as to why I came down to New Olreans. They'd literally almost rather be broke and homeless in freezing Chicago then be financially stable down here. It really is sad how miserable people are down here. It is no wonder they base their whole life and feelings off of a football team, putting their houses into mortgage just to see the Superbowl.

This place sucks so bad, I will take Overtown/Liberty City/Little Haiti/Havana ANY day over New Orleans or Jefferson Parish, Superbowl or not. This place is pure evil. There is something extremely unsettling, an off vibe or something, about this swamp city. Something in the air you can't put your finger on. Maybe it's because either you're slanging crack in section 8 housing projects or you're getting lectured at about why you'll go to hell if you use curse words. If that sounds appealing to a broke person in Miami, I will gladly switch places with you. PM me.

Oh- and did I mention- the best part is, EVERYTHING COSTS THE SAME AS MIAMI!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM
 
116 posts, read 12,211 times
Reputation: 84
Unless your ambition is to become a doctor or lawyer, college is a joke. It's just a means to get you into debt and a result, lead to you being "controlled" in the sense of having tens of thousands of dollars to pay back. In a sense, college is a lie. Most people would benefit far more from more vocational training, unless they wish to become doctors or lawyers (for example). Too much emphasis is put on going to college and many extremely intelligent people are looked down on for not having degrees, just because classroom style learning is not for them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
 
327 posts, read 548,517 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Unless your ambition is to become a doctor or lawyer, college is a joke. It's just a means to get you into debt and a result, lead to you being "controlled" in the sense of having tens of thousands of dollars to pay back. In a sense, college is a lie. Most people would benefit far more from more vocational training, unless they wish to become doctors or lawyers (for example). Too much emphasis is put on going to college and many extremely intelligent people are looked down on for not having degrees, just because classroom style learning is not for them.
This. 100%. College is the greatest pyramid scheme in the world. The second biggest scam after Religion. There are much better ways to go about earning a career (unless, like stated, something specific, like a doctor or lawyer) than going into debt to be brainwashed. I am twenty years old, and a proud DePaul University drop out. That "reputable" school was the biggest joke in the world. I have already got so much of a better grip of the real world than most of these college kids at the age of 21 or 22 can even begin to fathom. Most of the kids at college seemed lost, they would just kinda shrug their sholders and say "well, I guess I'm gonna be a history teacher/accountant/human resources manager/ etc etc. I don't know why, but oh well". It was like being with a bunch of robots. A really sorry bunch of miserable, almost lost, kids. They wer so computer-like, it was eerie. Then you got the loser frat types, who only go to college to run up an anual $40,000 bar tab.

There was a funny story I had heard about two friends who had graduated high school. One went to college, and one went to work at McDonald's. Four years later, the kid who went to college graduated and got his pretty little piece of paper. When he couldn't find work anywhere for a while after his graduation, he had no choice but to end up working at McDonald's. When he got there, he recognized his friend who didn't go to college. What's the twist? His "uneducated" friend was now his manager and boss.

Dropping out of college was the smartest thing I ever did while at college. I've been toying with the idea of maybe going back, but I really just don't think it's likely. Every ounce of fiber in my body is telling me no.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
 
129 posts, read 97,544 times
Reputation: 181
how can agreeing with someone be trolling?

there seem to be some overzealous mods here..what is the point of the forum?

I didn't finish college, and I don't see myself going back in the traditional setting either. I could finish up my degree by going to an online school. i have researched a few and Thomas Edison State College seems to be a genuine accredited school. I am not taking out another 50k loan to get what is now the equivalent of a high school diploma.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Cooper City, by way of NYC
2,756 posts, read 3,976,127 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Unless your ambition is to become a doctor or lawyer, college is a joke. It's just a means to get you into debt and a result, lead to you being "controlled" in the sense of having tens of thousands of dollars to pay back. In a sense, college is a lie. Most people would benefit far more from more vocational training, unless they wish to become doctors or lawyers (for example). Too much emphasis is put on going to college and many extremely intelligent people are looked down on for not having degrees, just because classroom style learning is not for them.
Wow, I didn't want to say it that way, but I am somewhat in that boat of thinking. While I am encouraging my boys to go to school because I don't think college hurts and I think the experience is great, my life experience has taught me that you don't always need that paper to succeed and a person that is driven and intelligent will do okay just about anywhere. I know there are tons who disagree, but as I said these are my life experiences - not everyone will be the same.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
 
248 posts, read 295,862 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Unless your ambition is to become a doctor or lawyer, college is a joke. It's just a means to get you into debt and a result, lead to you being "controlled" in the sense of having tens of thousands of dollars to pay back. In a sense, college is a lie. Most people would benefit far more from more vocational training, unless they wish to become doctors or lawyers (for example). Too much emphasis is put on going to college and many extremely intelligent people are looked down on for not having degrees, just because classroom style learning is not for them.
If these same "extremely intelligent" people dropped out of high school because "classroom style learning in not for them" would you look at them differently.

Your argument on why college is a lie could be used to say high school is a lie.

We teach more in middle school today than people were taught their entire life 100 years ago. We are constantly progressing and the bar is always moving higher. I respect anyone right to not go to college just as I respect anyone's right to drop out of high school. So as long as they know the average college graduate makes $20k more a year than the average high school graduate. If your perfectly happy making less money fine.

And I hate to tell you but vocational training is a lot like college.

"However, as the labor market becomes more specialized and economies demand higher levels of skill, governments and businesses are increasingly investing in the future of vocational education through publicly funded training organizations and subsidized apprenticeship or traineeship initiatives for businesses. At the post-secondary level vocational education is typically provided by an institute of technology, or by a local community college."

You learn in a classroom with actual books. If classroom learning is not for you then vocational training is not for you.

Factory jobs, manufacturing jobs, etc. are the types of jobs you're going to get without "classroom training". And these type of jobs are disappearing from America. I started out as an electrician and there was a lot of classroom training involved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM
 
248 posts, read 295,862 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
There was a funny story I had heard about two friends who had graduated high school. One went to college, and one went to work at McDonald's. Four years later, the kid who went to college graduated and got his pretty little piece of paper. When he couldn't find work anywhere for a while after his graduation, he had no choice but to end up working at McDonald's. When he got there, he recognized his friend who didn't go to college. What's the twist? His "uneducated" friend was now his manager and boss.
Why would anyone make life decisions based on the exception and not the rule. I was watching E! the other day and they were showing the stories of a lot of people who were poor but played the lottery and won. It seemed to be a lot of them. Most of them worked really crappy jobs and had problems with alcohol. Maybe you should get a crappy job, drink all day and maybe you'll hit the lottery like them.

But since you like stories here is another funny one. When I graduate with my associated degree I got my first job as a project engineer with a construction company. I was working in the field making $16.50. I had to do the payroll for all the workers on my project. I remember handing paychecks out to the laborers and seeing that brand new laborers made $18.90 an hour because they were in a union. I though to myself I should have skipped college and just got a job as a laborer. The funny twist, 5 years later that laborer now makes about $21 an hour and is laid off half of the year because laborers like him come a dime a dozen, so he only takes home about $22,000 a year while I on the other hand take home quadruple that. Added to that he has to bust his @ss in the summer heat and the winter cold to make less than a quarter of what I make while I sit in the office and conduct meetings with the owner.

I try to help him out by giving him side jobs when I need work on my rental property. He told me he just wasn't cut out for "classroom work". But when I explained to him the stuff I learned getting an associated degree in construction management it was all stuff he felt comfortable with. He was under the impression he would have to go and learn about physics and other advanced issues. I explained how I hated calculus which is why I switch from engineering to construction management. I had classes that taught me about supervising workers, labor productivity, planning, scheduling, etc. All stuff he could easily pick up. I did go on to get a bachelors in business for the exposure but the Associate would have been enough to get him out of the field. He doesn't want to go back now because he feels like its too late (although I don't). But you can bet that his son will at least be in community college. Because of the cost, associated degree actually give you the biggest bang for your buck.


By the way here is a management trainee position that pays only $23,600 and it says it takes 2-3 years to actually become a manager.

McDonald's Jobs: Find a Career @ McDonald's

And once your a manager you'll only make $28,500

McDonald's Jobs: Find a Career @ McDonald's

And look at this, Mcdonalds is actually encouraging their managers to get a degree to compete:

McDonald's is currently the only restaurant organization to be recognized by the American Council on Education, (ACE), for our restaurant management curriculum. Your participation in our training programs can earn you up to 46 college credits towards your 2-year or 4-year degree programs.

Colleges are actually offering RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT CURRICULUM. How long do you think it will be before they require all their managers to have this????

Try and think with common sense. If if the college graduate took the job at McDonalds to hold him over until he finds a better job, he will eventually find one. The other guy at McDonald's is stuck there because he has no other real skills or qualifications.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top