Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:40 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,740,787 times

Advertisements

NYC accents are so different from upstate ny and Boston - new englanders are very different as well - I find Miami to be most like NYC - even more than upstate - the video on here that shows the differences between Miami and buffalo is very accurate and with the exception of calling all soda coke I woud say that those are all the things nyers would say - the buffalo sayings are much more similar to southern sayings even being way up north - the only thing is the people upstate say it with an almost Canadian type of accent. Midwesterers accents to me are not very distiguishable accept through their sayings. My friend from Michigan said she was from the stix - meaning country - but other than the sayings that I found strange in comparison to things I always hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,367,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I used to say I had a "neutral" accent until I finally figured out that everyone has an accent. Midwesterners aren't "neutral" to my ears just as I am not "neutral" to their ears. What are some of the features of your speech when compared to the speech of Southerners, Northeasterners, Midtwesterners? I find that most Miami-born-and-raised white people lean towards a Northeastern accent, if any, and many - especially people who grow up with a lot of Spanish spoken around them or in the home - import some Spanish pronunciations on English sounds. Blacks are an entirely different ballgame, as the African-American accent is very heavily Southern-influenced.
Well I'm talking full-blown accent. Certainly, my parents being from the Northeast (albeit they don't have full blown accents) causes me to enunciate certain words with a Northeastern bent. At the same time, going to school in Tallahassee caused me to develop a Southern bent with some words. Even so, there's no consistency to it and it sometimes will come out on certain words. I guess you could say that a "neutral accent" has a range to it.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM

248 posts, read 613,073 times
Well, I guess that NY accent is a clash between Italian and English, for example, "Brooklinese", a clash between Yiddish and English and the end product is similar to Miamiam accent. Just wild speculation...

Old 02-14-2010, 04:43 PM

176 posts, read 644,331 times
My spin:

NY- get me the friggin papuhhh...will ya?
Miami- Oye, couuuld you bring me in deh Heralld outside

NY- ****ing-a is this good!!
Miami- Broo!! This **** is so good....ur abuela made it?

NY- Don't rub it in my friggin face
Miami- Yo don't be puttin focking words in my mouth

NY- Don't tip that Stoonad jack****!
Miami- Hey, shoullld I like tip him right or stiff him becuz I think he focking sucked

Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 AM

46 posts, read 179,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegal1075 View Post
You are so right. Most people tell me I don't have an accent they can place, but I lived in MD for some time and they think they are Northerners but they aren't (in my eyse) and I still say Ya'll - something i never got rid of. I find that NYers in particular anunciate a lot. I know that I tend to say every syllable of a word.

I was in the Hard Rock in December and I hadn't heard a southern accent the whole time I was in florida, but then we went out to eat and the waitor (black/african american) had the most southern accent and I looked at him like he had 4 heads - he most have known and told me he was born and raised in Davie but never did shake the accent - it really was almost unbelievable to me LOL.
If he is black and was born and raised in Davie, the accent would have been the least of his troubles.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM

233 posts, read 446,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east215 View Post
If he is black and was born and raised in Davie, the accent would have been the least of his troubles.

Yes, klan country.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM

169 posts, read 308,613 times
Aye yall funny as **** on hea.
nann one uh yall from miami an don't know what yall boys talkin bout.
Yuh ass prolly talkn bout dade county NOT miami.
Aw accents is different dependin on ethnicity, then wat part uh dade yu from.
DEN dependin on what part of the REAL miami yu from.
A lot uh da old folk and people from my mama an uncle dem time talk mo suddern den my generation. Dat because miami didn't have as much spanish people back den an was still da south.
Nowadays liberty city and down blacks talk wit dat suddern influence.
Spanish people talk wit dey accents mixed wit tryna soun' like white people.
An white people pronounce evrthang hard. Especially that word "black".

Put my post in quotation cuz dat up dea ^ how we really talk.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,768,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Aye yall funny as **** on hea.
nann one uh yall from miami an don't know what yall boys talkin bout.
Yuh ass prolly talkn bout dade county NOT miami.
Aw accents is different dependin on ethnicity, then wat part uh dade yu from.
DEN dependin on what part of the REAL miami yu from.
A lot uh da old folk and people from my mama an uncle dem time talk mo suddern den my generation. Dat because miami didn't have as much spanish people back den an was still da south.
Nowadays liberty city and down blacks talk wit dat suddern influence.
Spanish people talk wit dey accents mixed wit tryna soun' like white people.
An white people pronounce evrthang hard. Especially that word "black".

Put my post in quotation cuz dat up dea ^ how we really talk.
I have a serious question for you. Why do you type most of your words with inncorrect spelling? Is it to prove that this is the way you speak in real life, so people will know how you sound in real life? Is it because you really don't know how to spell certain words out? I understand how lots of people get online and spend time writting in slang form, but when you read my post, do you pronounce my words as if I was from a specific race? For instance, when I type the word 'they', do you say it as they or 'dey' in real life? Do you think people won't understand where you came from if you type words out like 'they'? What I'm saying is reading and saying words is different. I don't see the need to purposley write words a certain way to prove anything. I can pronounce my own post vocally just the same as you intended for your post to be heard, so what's the point?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,307,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrosa1990 View Post
How would one best describe the "Miami Accent" (heard in talking with people that were born & raised here, or least lived here the better part of their lives)...,

There are three types of accents that I can notice in Miami.

1. Is that Cuban American accent. I can't explain it but Rick Sanchez and Andy Garcia both have it.
2. The black South Floridian accent. Which is VERY nasal sounding to me. They almost sound congested. I have noticed this one from Palm Beach all the way to Miami.
3. Is the white South Floridian. This is of two types. Some of them sound a bit country and others have a general american accent, with some words being pronounced like southerners.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,813,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
There are three types of accents that I can notice in Miami.

1. Is that Cuban American accent. I can't explain it but Rick Sanchez and Andy Garcia both have it.
2. The black South Floridian accent. Which is VERY nasal sounding to me. They almost sound congested. I have noticed this one from Palm Beach all the way to Miami.
3. Is the white South Floridian. This is of two types. Some of them sound a bit country and others have a general american accent, with some words being pronounced like southerners.
The Black SoFla accent sounds nasally? It sounds Southern, but nasally? And you're on point about the Garcia accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami