Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM

13 posts, read 42,235 times

Advertisements

people are tellin me i'm not gonna be able to ride but this place is a jungle, baby. i think i can hang. i found the peeps from miami critical mass so i'm good. ride on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:12 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Eric best of luck, please wear a helmet...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 PM

326 posts, read 470,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I knew someone who got hit by a car while biking in Miami.
couldn't one just ride on the sidewalk or in the alley?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
Hahahaha.... Something tells me Eric can handle the mean streets of Miami. Go for it.

I have seen what appear to be serious cyclists on the streets of Miami; they seem to do just fine. Moderator cut: cut
Just remember Miami / SoFla has been referred to as a hit-and-run capital. Sometimes it seems every week a pedestrian/jogger/skateboarder/cyclist is hit by a car, and that car just keeps right on going. One time, on Miami Beach last year, the driver did actually stop. To remove the victim from the hood of his car. Then he kept going. Ride defensively.

I agree with a previous poster, Miami Shores sounds like a good place for you. You should check that out.

Last edited by mbmouse; 06-01-2007 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: cut link

Old 06-01-2007, 05:29 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
Miami Shores is nice and El Portal is worth a look as well. There are pockets of homes off Biscayne Blvd just north and south of 36th Street towards the bay that are nice. Hope a condo wasn't built there, because they are going up all over. About west of Miami Ave, unfortunately, it's still pretty unsafe especially if you are a pedestrian or bicyclist. But you shouldn't have any problems going to and from work, heading north and south, other than there are no bike lanes. FYI...Churchills Hideaway is a great place to catch good music. Just north of the design district. Hopefully still a no-frills kind of place.

Welcome!!!

Laura

Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
Sorry, Eric, for my frankness.... Eleven years ago, straight from studies in madison WI, where I used to ride even on snow, I got my bike out on my first Florida day and rode down Las Olas (Fort Lauderdale). I was honked a few times without really understing the reason, since I kept quite close to the walkway. Then a car honked and actually tried to make me fall. I took my bike home, locked it in the garage and threw it away two years ago (FL humidity works its way....) They say it is better in west Broward, but we are still talking of parks and gated communities.... I have reasons to think it is not better in Miami Dade.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 PM

58 posts, read 193,686 times
Default Back to the posters original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ71 View Post
My job will be in the Design District and I'd like to be able to ride in each day. I'd like to ride from the beaches if possible. Are the areas between SoBe and the Design District a war zone or are they passable? I'm ethnically friendly, experienced in hispanic culture (I've dated mostly latinas) y yo hablo espanol. I'm willing to live in an area that's not predominantly white, but the folks have to be non-ghetto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ71 View Post
people are tellin me i'm not gonna be able to ride but this place is a jungle, baby. i think i can hang. i found the peeps from miami critical mass so i'm good. ride on.
Tell us if you "ride on" from SoBe to the Design District?
And not in a race with police protection.
The religious amongst us will surely pray.

I noticed that other than myself none replied to the above point blank.(Though you did ask for areas close by and that was answered)

Geez, and I like Fl. Surprised that those that trash this place didn't jump in on the thread. But, this time what they usually say actually has merit: you were warned.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Eric, this is sort of off-topic, but I am moving to Juno
on the 18 of June. I am a bicycle commuter and am going to
try to ruff it. Coming form Vermont I know it will be a culture
shock but Im still gonna try
Anyway, if you are looking for alternative bicycle activities google
'freak bike militia'. They have some crazy, themed chopper bike
rides every month or so. Its up in WPB though.
I wish I had your attitude....Im terrified of FLA. Only coming here
because I have to.

PS..Are you a fixie ? Is so, feel free to pass on any
fixie related shops or sources in the S-FLA area !

Be safe !

Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM

106 posts, read 380,390 times
If you are talking about a bike with pedals and no motor you stand a good chance of getting run over by a car. People in Miami dont know how to drive and the one that do drive like idiots. A tank with two canons on the front would be the best way to get around this city.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM

13 posts, read 42,235 times
Default All Your Info Was Useless and Wrong

I just got back from MIA and everything that everyone said about traffic and dangerous drivers and the impossibility of safely bicycling was plain old BS. You jokers don't know traffic OR dangerous when it comes to riding in traffic.

Your traffic is a joke.
There are plenty of bike lanes.
The drivers aren't as bad as LA or as aggressive.

THE PLACE IS FREAKIN EMPTY, I CAN RIDE ANYWHERE AND NOT GET HIT.

I was right- those of you who gave the 'Be afraid, it's crazy' advice need to get out from under your rocks and live a little.

what a bunch of babies, whaaa, whaaa!!! I will EAT miami and come back for more. then i'll move to NYC again next summer, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami