Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 PM

115 posts, read 337,385 times

Advertisements

I agree better mass transit is important. But does it really work in weather like Miami's? I remember back when I was a grad student going to UM, the walk from my apartment to the Metrorail station was 5 minutes tops. 50% of the time I had to take that walk to get to the train to get to school, there was a torrential rain outside (yes, that would last only maybe 10 minutes). And I am one of those people who likes to dress decently, I would be wearing these nice shoes!!! After a couple of months of going through that I said forget it, and I got a car! And then yes, it took me 30 minutes to drive 3 miles, but I stayed dry!!

I'm just saying, are people really going to ride the extended metrorail? Or buses, or streetcars etc?

Of course, we could drive to the station and park there, but then there is still that car dependence, right?

Out here in CA it makes much more sense, it barely rains, when it does, it's forecast way in advance, nothing unexpected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^Nice post. The weather is a big factor, that keeps most people from using public transit. Also people are so used to using their cars to run errands after work or during lunch. If you had to depend on the metrorail or the bus system the way it is now, it would take you double the time to run those errands, sense Miami is so spread out. I would love to see Miami has a transit system like NYC. But people will not use it half the year as its just way to hot, humid and rainy to stand outside in the environment.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:56 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Miami-Dade County has the 13th most rode bus network in the United States. Metrorail carries over 60,000 people a day, and that's on the limited route it runs now.

I don't think the weather is that big of a deal. NYers have to contend with rain and snow and freezing temps which, at least IMO, is equally as bad.

What if the Metrorail stations were all air conditioned? Would that make it more appealing?

As far as the errands part, if development around stations (or expansion of the system) grows, more goods and services will be there, thus creating an easier way to do your errands.

Another point on the errands is just changing your style/habits. If you work downtown you could easily run and do what you need to do during lunch time, provided economic growth continues. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM

In a way I agree with Coconut. Take the North Dadeland metrorail station for example. There's a plethora of shopping to do there, with Target, Best Buy, BedBath&Beyond, Michaels, and other small businesses and restaurants, easily accessible from the station, I believe there is a covered walkway area from the station to the stores, pretty much a place where you don't need an umbrella or galoshes! More of these mass transit stations should be built like this; and on the residential end of the spectrum, in Downtown for instance the Metromover stops smack in the midlle of a condo building. Small changes that are well thought can make a huge difference.

Oh, and one more thing, and I'm sure parents with small kids out there will agree with me, how about someone suggest to city planners that ALL playgrounds in Miami be covered, some nice sort of canopies for shade. How expensive can they be? There is this beautiful playground downtown, in front of the Intercontinental hotel, desperately needing some shade (at least last time I was there there wasn't one), otherwise ideal place for little ones to run around in the breeze. And remove the homeless, and you might even attract young professional families to that area. Then you'll see more life after 5pm. In big cities in Europe the downtown area is one of the most coveted places to be, and the most expensive.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 PM

I know you'll get the complaint about carrying things you buy, to which I always say, "get a shopping cart!" who cares if you look like a little old lady? Those collapsible shopping carts are cheap and tremendously useful.

I've looked at Axis in Brickell for the simple fact that the Metromover is right across from it. (Not sure if that's the building you're referring to) I really like how close it is to it. I can see why they didn't build a way to get to it from the building, though. Who knows who would coming walking off the train and who might let them in the building by mistake. It is a security concern.

I think adding shade over the playgrounds (and in parks) is a good idea. Plant trees as well so eventually the trees will take over the shading and then the canopies could eventually be removed.

I foresee a great future for downtown Miami and am hoping the Metros get somebody with a strong drive behind them in charge.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
If I reply,I will be off topic,therefore I just say that ...in Mia 2020,I 'd like to see many all electric vehicles...

Also,let's not forget a ...wintersports complex...

I wonder why it has not been constructed yet...

Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM

I was actually referring to Loft Downtown II, check out the pictures: Loft Downtown II Condos For Sale

I don't think security is a problem though. I know for sure noise isn't, I stayed there once for a few days.

As for shopping carts, I bet that if the trend takes off, you'll even be able to get Gucci or Prada shopping carts, no one will look like a little old lady!!

But again it's a matter of what people are used to, there will be a lot of inertia, even when everything becomes very accessible. Electric cars will eliminate pollution and fuel costs, but the rush hour traffic will still be there.

Yes, a wintersports complex would be nice in Miami, it's not going to happen with the recent budget hole, although I personally would rather learn to ski than watch a baseball game! (I'm talking about the new stadium!)

Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware MM actually ran through the building! That's certainly something for me to look at.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
if the Metrorail stations were all air conditioned? Would that make it more appealing?

As far as the errands part, if development around stations (or expansion of the system) grows, more goods and services will be there, thus creating an easier way to do your errands.

Another point on the errands is just changing your style/habits. If you work downtown you could easily run and do what you need to do during lunch time, provided economic growth continues. Where there's a will, there's a way!
It would help if the stations were air conditioned. But people will still have to walk from the station to their work, store, or home. So then you still have to deal with the elements. It's going to be really hard to get Miamians to give up their cars and use the transit system, especially woman.

We would have to have a bus or a rail station of some kind every few blocks to get the masses to use public transit. And from what I know people have always fought the introduction of new rail. As most people like the idea of public transit, but just don't build it near me concern comes to mind. I would love to give up my car, but I don't see it happening here in Miami.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM

16 posts, read 60,200 times
Desires? Meh, well if we're going there, allow me to be overly-idealistic.

I want some improvement in education, real improvements in actually reaching students and not just throwing money. North Miami Senior High is getting a new building, yet my cousin got hit in the head during a some riot and ended up transferring. I'm probably asking for a miracle, but I want something to inspire more people to better themselves rather than to keep perpetuating ignorance and violence.

Try to improve areas rather than merely taxing the undesirables out.

Keep offering and expanding options to return to school.

Increase scholarships, not decrease.

Expand the Metrorail. (and don't forget the neighborhoods that aren't quite affluent either!)

Solar panels! Harness that unforgiving sun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami