U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-06-2007, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 16,680,979 times
Reputation: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
For 1/2 a second I contemplated moving to the Miami area based on what I knew of it 10 years ago. Apparently it has changed so much in this past decade, that i have permanently crossed it off the list of possibilities.

My problem in no way has to do with Miami's ethnic make-up. My husband and therefor my daughter are part Korean. If anyone tries to pick on my little girl because of her racial background, the Momma Bear in me will come out and I may have to kill them! O.K. you know what I mean.

What color or culture people are has never really made a big impact on me. However,...I do not want to live somewhere where English is not the spoken language. You went to 3 stores and no one spoke English? That's crazy.

I wish there was a way to make a certain degree of proficiency in the English language a requirement to immigration. I'm sure that a lot of the racial tension would dissapate if people were speaking the same language.

Go to NYC, LA, Chicago, Vegas, Atlanta, Orlando Seattle, San Francisco and any other large metro area and you run the chance of not finding an english speaking person... If the mayority of the community is of one cultural background most of the jobs at gas stations will be from the ethnic group. part of life I don't think this is going to change ....

 
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
 
1,596 posts, read 1,666,445 times
Reputation: 669
I know that all major cities are basically melting pots. I grew up in NJ and spent a lot of time in NY. Even there, a lot of people spoke broken English but to walk into 3 stores and no one spoke enough English to assist you? I can't say that ever happened to me. Hope I don't sound totally intolerant, but the language barrier in S. FLA is just a bit too much for me.
 
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 16,680,979 times
Reputation: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I know that all major cities are basically melting pots. I grew up in NJ and spent a lot of time in NY. Even there, a lot of people spoke broken English but to walk into 3 stores and no one spoke enough English to assist you? I can't say that ever happened to me. Hope I don't sound totally intolerant, but the language barrier in S. FLA is just a bit too much for me.
We can't change the culture, but we can educate the individual. Maybe a coallision to get the owners (english speaking) to promote the american way of life. The bad thing is that the spanish speaking works for the english speaking owner. They allow it, they must fix it....
 
Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 PM
 
1,596 posts, read 1,666,445 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
We can't change the culture, but we can educate the individual. Maybe a coallision to get the owners (english speaking) to promote the american way of life. The bad thing is that the spanish speaking works for the english speaking owner. They allow it, they must fix it....
I couldn't agree more. Just as it is next to impossible to get a job in S FLA without speaking Spanish, shouldn't English be a requirement?? This still amazes me.

I also lived in California and literally was the only caucasian (oh yeah there was one other lady) where I worked. We all spoke English so it was totally fine with me.
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Status: "Can't wait till its December." (set 11 days ago)
 
6,313 posts, read 12,200,045 times
Reputation: 2366
I can see how many hispanic owned mom and pop companies could do their transaction is spanish. If that is how they want to run their company so be it they are entittled too it is their company.

But when big national companies hire people who do no know english that starts to boggle my mind. I had this happen to me, and I wrote a letter to the headquarters. And guess what with in a month the staff changed...

I agree every person that becomes a citizen of the United States of America should be fluent speaking in the English language at the very least. I think that we should do away with different language forms, it should all be done in English. If you are a citizen of the US you should know English. And if you are learning English and can't fill out the forms then you need to find someone to help you till fill out the forms.

I am a citizen of another country, and when I go to their consulates they don't speak english there, the paper work isn't in english. It is all done in the language of that country. I don't expect things to be done in English, like the people of Miami expect spanish or creole to be on forms here.
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago
152 posts, read 390,262 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Go to NYC, LA, Chicago, Vegas, Atlanta, Orlando Seattle, San Francisco and any other large metro area and you run the chance of not finding an english speaking person... If the mayority of the community is of one cultural background most of the jobs at gas stations will be from the ethnic group. part of life I don't think this is going to change ....
BS!! I live in Chicago and everybody speaks english!! There are hundreds of ethnic groups in Chicago and they all speak english if they own a store!! Miami is the only city in the US where English is not widely spoken!!!
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Status: "Can't wait till its December." (set 11 days ago)
 
6,313 posts, read 12,200,045 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
BS!! I live in Chicago and everybody speaks english!! There are hundreds of ethnic groups in Chicago and they all speak english if they own a store!! Miami is the only city in the US where English is not widely spoken!!!
I agree!!!!
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 16,680,979 times
Reputation: 2843

Yep.....
 
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
930 posts, read 9,592 times
Reputation: 66
you often see signs like that where tourists are. i saw stuff like that by disneyland in orlando.
 
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 AM
 
Location: United States of America
90 posts, read 236,728 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
For 1/2 a second I contemplated moving to the Miami area based on what I knew of it 10 years ago. Apparently it has changed so much in this past decade, that i have permanently crossed it off the list of possibilities.

My problem in no way has to do with Miami's ethnic make-up. My husband and therefor my daughter are part Korean. If anyone tries to pick on my little girl because of her racial background, the Momma Bear in me will come out and I may have to kill them! O.K. you know what I mean.

What color or culture people are has never really made a big impact on me. However,...I do not want to live somewhere where English is not the spoken language. You went to 3 stores and no one spoke English? That's crazy.

I wish there was a way to make a certain degree of proficiency in the English language a requirement to immigration. I'm sure that a lot of the racial tension would dissipate if people were speaking the same language.
Songgirl,

The whole point of us coming to this forum and warning people was just validated by you. I am glad that the people who come here and tell us to stop being negative allowed us to warn you about the mess Miami has become so you could make the educated and correct decision not to move there. There are many places that are much nicer, cleaner and with nicer people than down there. And yes, Spanish is a must in Miami. Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top