Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 PM

204 posts, read 761,517 times

Advertisements

I tell you what, Im not a huge hater of Miami but I can see what a lot of these people are saying. Im from Chicago and we are very diverse. I love diversity but Miami is not diverse at all because its like 70 percent hispanic. I went to three gas stations in a row once when visiting and asked for cigarettes. All three "No speak english". I was shocked. Didnt even attempt to understand me. I speak some spanish but didnt do it because I wanted to see how long it would take. These people are rude. They know what I am talking about. I have been throughout Latin America and I could say cigarettes and they know what I would be talking about. They are so nice in Latin America. They come to Miami and get all rude and americanized. They think white americans and african americans owe them something I guess.

Another thing I noticed, where in Miami can lower middle class white people live?There is no housing at all unless you want to live in Little Havana or Little Haiti. Its pathetic. Its a rich mans city. That being said. It is a beautiful city. I love the latin culture it offers even though some are very rude to you. The weather is great too. I wouldnt say Miami is very dangerous. But the people there can make you feel very uncomfortable. I was looking at moving but decided against it after my friend decided to leave.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
I tell you what, Im not a huge hater of Miami but I can see what a lot of these people are saying. Im from Chicago and we are very diverse. I love diversity but Miami is not diverse at all because its like 70 percent hispanic. I went to three gas stations in a row once when visiting and asked for cigarettes. All three "No speak english". I was shocked. Didnt even attempt to understand me. I speak some spanish but didnt do it because I wanted to see how long it would take. These people are rude. They know what I am talking about. I have been throughout Latin America and I could say cigarettes and they know what I would be talking about. They are so nice in Latin America. They come to Miami and get all rude and americanized. They think white americans and african americans owe them something I guess.

Another thing I noticed, where in Miami can lower middle class white people live?There is no housing at all unless you want to live in Little Havana or Little Haiti. Its pathetic. Its a rich mans city. That being said. It is a beautiful city. I love the latin culture it offers even though some are very rude to you. The weather is great too. I wouldnt say Miami is very dangerous. But the people there can make you feel very uncomfortable. I was looking at moving but decided against it after my friend decided to leave.

I'm glad that you decided against it. People of all races are rude. I doubt that all whites and all blacks in Chicago or anywhere else are friendly. Lower/middle class white people could probably afford to live in Opa-Locka, Liberty City, Homestead, and maybe Hialeah. I wouldn't recommend any of these places. I can understand your frustration with people not being able to speak english. Some of them haven't been here long and haven't had a chance to learn. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I'm glad that you decided against it. People of all races are rude. I doubt that all whites and all blacks in Chicago or anywhere else are friendly. Lower/middle class white people could probably afford to live in Opa-Locka, Liberty City, Homestead, and maybe Hialeah. I wouldn't recommend any of these places. I can understand your frustration with people not being able to speak english. Some of them haven't been here long and haven't had a chance to learn. Good luck.
Miami Vice,

Love you to death BUT although there is rudness in all races, I find the people in Chicago alot friendlier than here. Ok, I might be biased, I was born there.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 PM

There's no doubt that there are places where more people are friendly. My thing is that I have encountered rude people of all races in every place that I have traveled. This thread..... AH, nevermind. I just won't look at it anymore. Not worth it.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
It may seem like on these forums that the hispanics are the only rude people, of course not. There are just as many rude blacks, white, asians, etc in this world. But the fact that 65% of this county is hispanic, makes it a higher chance that there are more rude hispanics than any other background. So yes the hispanics are the rudest people in Miami-Dade just for the fact they are the majority of people living in this county. Like I have sad before, if Blacks/Whites/Asians were the majority they would be targeted just like the hispanics are being targeted. But Miami is 65% hispanics, 20.5% Black, 18.6% White and .1% Asian. This is why people say hispanics are the issue, because they are the majority.

Scott you made the right choice, best of luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM

34 posts, read 164,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
It may seem like on these forums that the hispanics are the only rude people, of course not. There are just as many rude blacks, white, asians, etc in this world. But the fact that 65% of this county is hispanic, makes it a higher chance that there are more rude hispanics than any other background. So yes the hispanics are the rudest people in Miami-Dade just for the fact they are the majority of people living in this county. Like I have sad before, if Blacks/Whites/Asians were the majority they would be targeted just like the hispanics are being targeted. But Miami is 65% hispanics, 20.5% Black, 18.6% White and .1% Asian. This is why people say hispanics are the issue, because they are the majority.

Scott you made the right choice, best of luck!
I guess if you look at it that way it makes the Asians the least rude people in Miami. I agree with you because if you ever go to Queens NY where there are alot of Asians and Indians and since there are alot of them there you encounter quite a few rude ones too. Whenever a group gets large enough to have its own community, things like learning English and American customs are not prioritized anymore since people within that group can function as long as they stay within their own communities. I have a friend whose mother has been here in NYC for over 35 years and she still can not speak any English.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2BGI View Post
I guess if you look at it that way it makes the Asians the least rude people in Miami. I agree with you because if you ever go to Queens NY where there are alot of Asians and Indians and since there are alot of them there you encounter quite a few rude ones too. Whenever a group gets large enough to have its own community, things like learning English and American customs are not prioritized anymore since people within that group can function as long as they stay within their own communities. I have a friend whose mother has been here in NYC for over 35 years and she still can not speak any English.

It's harder for older people to learn a language. I'd bet that during the first part of you friend's mother's 35 years here, she worked 12 hour days and cared for the house and kids. There are many people who are born and raised here who don't even work and haven't amounted to anything, so I'm a little sympathetic towards people who have immigrated here legally, worked very hard and become successful or have raised successful kids.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 PM

85 posts, read 587,069 times
As a latina I can tell you from my experience that us the latinos are very friendly.
What's happening in Miami is the following: too sad to say this but most of the people that come to the United States are not exactly the best representation of our countries, usually are people without any education, they don't know the language, so this is reflected in trash in the streets.. rudness since we come from cities in which driving is a matter of surviving basically!
No I don't excuse the latino community for this, but just be patient, most of the latinos that come here are good people, some of them pick up "the rules" really fast and in a few months they learn to be more american.
Yes too bad it is happening and as soon as someone can fly here to the US they pick up Miami since most of our countries don't have winter and people in Miami speak Spanish so this place is a serious attraction to the new comers.
Again rudness is found in all the regions, Boston has some snobbyness and rudness as well, but once you get to know all the people you make friends easy.
My advice to anyone will be that try to hang around places where you feel safe and confortable, I'm latina my husband is American, but we don't feel confortable where all the latinos hang out, we belong more into Weston type of envirnonment.
There is place for all of us in this world, but the Mami chat needs more tolerance, honestly I've been in various chats in this city data this one is the most rough and rude..
Guys you complain about rudness, this postings from you all reflect exactly what you are complaining about.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
One thing that we must kept present at all times regarless of race or group is that the largest the groups are and the greater the cultural customs are. Many people will be less open to others untill they get to know you. Agree, there is no reason why to be rude.

Last Feb I visited my parents in NYC and Dad introduced me to this middle east person that I could not place in any country. He seem very rude with the clients. As my Dad approach him, he stop was he was doing and approached my Dad and ask how can he help us. My Dad knows this individuals for 20 plus years and offer him a free refreshment and was very friendly.

Lesson learned, don't except for someone to be friendly all the time. I was asked to go to the office to be introduced to his family. Again, is a cultural barrier....

Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
For 1/2 a second I contemplated moving to the Miami area based on what I knew of it 10 years ago. Apparently it has changed so much in this past decade, that i have permanently crossed it off the list of possibilities.

My problem in no way has to do with Miami's ethnic make-up. My husband and therefor my daughter are part Korean. If anyone tries to pick on my little girl because of her racial background, the Momma Bear in me will come out and I may have to kill them! O.K. you know what I mean.

What color or culture people are has never really made a big impact on me. However,...I do not want to live somewhere where English is not the spoken language. You went to 3 stores and no one spoke English? That's crazy.

I wish there was a way to make a certain degree of proficiency in the English language a requirement to immigration. I'm sure that a lot of the racial tension would dissipate if people were speaking the same language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami