Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 AM

66 posts, read 202,385 times

Advertisements

which city do immigrants prefer best between New York and Miami? Or somewhere in Florida?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
Cubans, Haitians - Miami
Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, everything else, NY.
Of course there are many different cultures in both cities - this is just a generalization...
And I hope you're talkin LEGAL ones!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
What is the purpose of your question, Matts?

Normally immigrants go where there are other immigrants, usually family, to help them find housing and jobs. This is also reflected in US immigration laws (though this may change, according to the current draft law being debated in Congress), but even illegals usually follow this pattern.

Over the years, the NYC area has been a mecca for jobs and making a basic living, and it is still a magnet for many.

Miami has played this role only relatively recently, mostly for Cubans and Haitians, as elfyum has already mentioned.

Again, what is the purpose of your otherwise vague question?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 AM

172 posts, read 856,882 times
depends.

immigrants from where?

carribean immigrants are real strong in both cities.

theres a huge hispanic (non-caribbean) population in nyc aswell but obviously nowhere near miami.

the poster above me broke it down pretty well, miami is very cuban/haitian NYC very dominican/puerto rican.
although there is a growing population of ex-new yorker dominicans and puerto ricans in the south florida area

european immigrants are also in both places pretty strongly.probably moreso in NYC

in NYC you would find a stronger asian,arabic and african community than in miami.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 AM

34 posts, read 164,186 times
NYC has immigrants from every country in the world. Since our city has over 8 million people and the whole metro area has many millions more it is hard to compare NYC to Miami. NYC is more diverse than Miami and has many communities that you can find cultures from around the world that you can not find anywhere else in the USA in large numbers. It really depends what you like Matts. Anyone is welcome here in New York.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2BGI View Post
Anyone is welcome here in New York.
That is a lovely sentiment and so true .

Old 06-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Default I've already booked a flight

ok, I'm just looking for info about because I want to go to USA for work and study. The matter is only to decide between NYC and Miami. I'm talking about europeans especially italians. I've already been in NYC and I saw how many immigrants there but what I want are advices from immigrants who already live and work in America.

elyfum don't worry I really want to stay in the US as legal, no one can sponsor me for Visa. Nobody trough internet! Can you advice me something? I'm realizing I gotta go directly and see in person. This means spendng time around there and this means I need work. That's why I need advices because I want to do things as legals as possible. I'm honest, I'm real I support USA so...

I booked a ticket flight to NYC departing at the end of the summer but not confirmed yet.

let me know please...

Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
ok, I'm just looking for info about because I want to go to USA for work and study. The matter is only to decide between NYC and Miami. I'm talking about Europeans especially Italians.
Matts, Italian emigration to NYC is historical by now, as you well know, concentrated in the 1890s-1920s period. Many descendants of these people retired to Florida in the 1960s or thereabouts. There was a second wave of Italian emigration in the 1960s.

Today's Italians who come to the US are usually professional and many are moneyed. The Italian population in today's Miami is about 40,000 strong, many working in the yachting and luxury goods business. There is an association that you can look up on the internet; it appears to be dominated by milanesi.

I suppose that most Italian's today who come to NY are in the banking and finance business. But obviously you will find all kinds.

You do well to start off in New York because you will find more professional opportunities, unless you have some real good connections, in the yachting business, for example, in Miami to start off with.

In bocca al lupo!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,378 times
I know that Puerto Ricans aren't immigrants, but aren't a lot of them leaving NYC and moving to Florida now?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:25 PM

very nice,

I love yachting I love sailing but I don't have connections with them. I think I'll start in NYC. Then Florida as I like the sunshine!

ok grazie bale002 parli italiano?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami