Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,491 times

Advertisements

I already thought I posted. Guess not - I am new to this. Anyway, I am moving shortly from Houston to Miami and I am starting to get scared after reading everything on here. I have accepted a job and now it seems that I may be a total fool for leaving Houston for such a God awful place. Any ideas? I have children - so, that makes this even more disconcerting. Maybe I need to re-think this. thanks. I have been told Cooper City or Weston is the best for schools and standard of living as far as raising kids is concerned. Any thoughts? I will be working in downtown Miami - in Houston it takes me about 1 hour to get to work and it is only about 15 miles away - is that about right for that area as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
I know someone who lives in the Dade-Broward area all his life, speaks no Spanish, lives in Cooper City with wife and children and commutes everyday downtown for a good-paying job in the real estate law sector; he claims it takes about 40 minutes, but in any case the time you mention is about consistent.

Consider this view.

If you leaving Houston behind with no family and friends and are going to at least nearly double your income in downtown Miami and live in Cooper City or Weston near family and friends, then maybe it's worth it.

If you are leaving Houston behind with family and friends and are not going to substantially increase your income in downtown Miami and have no family and friends in Cooper City or Weston, then probably not.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
In 2006 a friend of mine moved her 10 year old child to Ft. Worth to raise him in a place that she feels is a better place to raise her child. I would think long and hard before moving to South Florida with a child. IMO, South Florida isn't a great place anymore to raise kids, to many bad things to get involved in for them today. If you are a very involved parent in your childs life and your kids will not be latch key kids, then your kids will be fine most likely. But if you are going to work 9-5 in Miami and commute then to western Broward, sounds like you child will not be involved in your child life as much. I would be worried raising a child in South Florida then. I am just being honest...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
I think you would enjoy living in the Cooper City or Weston areas. My kids go to Griffin Elementary and it is an excellent school. There is before care and after care available until 6 pm. A very family oriented community. Miami is older and there is a hugh infusion of Spanish people who live there, with billboards in Spanish, some may feel out of place. There are pockets of beautiful communities in Miami as well. But Broward County is literally worlds away from Miami, and only over the county line.

You'll have a friend in Cooper City. Me.

Laura

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
broward becomes more and more like miami every day, most people are trying to find a way out....those that have to stay build it up and say its great until they hit their breaking point and lose it...broward is plain nasty minus a few areas holding on

Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
broward becomes more and more like miami every day, most people are trying to find a way out....those that have to stay build it up and say its great until they hit their breaking point and lose it...broward is plain nasty minus a few areas holding on

Not true regarding your above statements.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
Not true regarding your above statements.
thats my honest assessment of broward county after living there for 5 yrs . like ive said u can have a good life there but its still mostly a very nasty place. i am in in tampa now and its like night and day comparing the two areas. i feel like i am back in the united states again.

Last edited by JSnFla; 06-07-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
broward is still 100x better than south dade

Old 06-07-2007, 12:24 PM

113 posts, read 468,911 times
I've visited Houston MANY times, and having lived in Sunny Isles Beach / Aventura area for a long time, I would seriously consider NOT moving to Miami.

If you living in one of the nice suburbs of Houston like Sugarland, Katy, Kingwood, Woodlands......you quality of life will plummet moving to Miami.

You most probably will have to downsize in house, and I don't think I need to re-hash the complete real estate FUBAR that is South Florida (HOI, Property Taxes, avg home price).

Like others have said...unless you are making a SERIOUS bump in salary, it just aint worth it.

Good luck either way.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
You know yes there are after school programs. But what happens when the kids get to the age that they don't want to go to an after school program. Or they are not involved in afterschool sports programs. They become latch key kids and that is when the problems start. And in South Florida, I wouldn't do that, kids here have to many things they can easily get involved in you don't want them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami