U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 15,431 times
To those recommending Brickell: Do you have any comments on how easy/difficult it is to get to know people in the area? What's the local bar scene like? What are the dining options--is it all higher class stuff, or are there other options too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM

14,455 posts, read 12,249,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charekus View Post
To those recommending Brickell: Do you have any comments on how easy/difficult it is to get to know people in the area? What's the local bar scene like? What are the dining options--is it all higher class stuff, or are there other options too?
I don't really go out of my way to meet neighbors like that, plus im below the typical age of people living there (22). Food is great you can find a dinner anywhere from 7-70 dollars

Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM

218 posts, read 201,683 times
Quote:

I have met a few ppl in my apartment complex at the gym/pool.

I moved here knowing a few ppl already so im not exactly actively seeking new friends.

Honestly, anywhere you live, you will meet people, it all depends on your personality!

I haven't hit the bar scene in Brickell much since my friends live in other areas (sobe, kendall, etc) but there are more than a few spots that seem to be nice, and not necessarily upper class stuck up $ people.

Bottom line is, Brickell is in the middle of sobe, the grove, the gables and the rest of downtown...LOCATION LOCATION.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,242 times
Default south beach

At your age, south beach obviously. It is not as hipster scene like hollywood, CA only latin.

and at night a sizable amount of black american/hatian/jamaicans come in to town from 11pm onward thurs to sunday as south beach is where all the clubs and bars for miami are located-its either this or ft lauderdale for people in their 20's.

Going to work is easy from here. By the Court and medical buildings you are looking at 30 minutes worse case scenario if traffic jam hit.

Truth is it usually takes about 10 minutes and is about 5 miles drive over a small causeway. Miami (downtown) to its neighbor south beach isn't hardly a commute or thought of as one-some even bike ride the causeway, etc. Not suggesting that but my point is its close. If i was in LA i would say "just be there in 5 minutes"-its close!

Brickell, a good idea if you are interested in meeting other people late 20's on up who are more preppy and conservative than south beach. Brickell is the suit and tie crowd of miami which attended college; not into the social scene of the "beach" .

and would be like being in a conservative professional part of los angeles like santa monica- which is quite preppy now-south beach would be the west hollywood; more ethnically diverse/open minded and is for all ages. Brickell is primarily for people late 20's and older who want more quiet and to be around people more like them.

just someone like them working from 8am to 5pm living in brickell. If you are truly a preppy i do think brickell is good for you-its right on the money for that.

oh in miami english is spoken a lot. I live in south beach; I am 31. I would not live in another place in miami; it is a run-down city for the most part but south beach to north beach (this beautiful man made barrier to the atlantic or mainland miami) is very pretty.

the black areas of miami are almost forgotten and super rotten-the hispanics have sort of left them out of the miami equation. there's a few hundred blacks in miami (mostly african american) from downtown to broward (north miami basically and east coconut grove) that all live like 2nd class miamians-a lot move to broward where english is first language.

hope some of this stuff helps. South beach is very pleasant in the day and its pretty; brickell although it suits your criteria is just office buildings with nothing to look at. I suggest living on the beach but partying in brickell when you go out-why live there when a cab is less than 15 bucks and you don't have to.

-good luck

Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM

2,517 posts, read 6,972,663 times
Quote:

Novecento !!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 34,030 times
it depends..do you want the beach area or a city view. I live midtown, my rent is 1200 for a 1 bedroom. In Miami it is hard to find a nice place for under 1000.00. Dont move to Design Place. I live there for a year and they have roaches every where! Try Miami Bay Club, the rent is around 950.00 and it is located in a nice area. Hope this helps

Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,728 times
Does anyone know how safe cocostyle condo area is
it is at 3250 grand ave and is a new building
seems to be on border of bad neighborhood from what everyone says?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,992,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenRH View Post
Does anyone know how safe cocostyle condo area is
it is at 3250 grand ave and is a new building
seems to be on border of bad neighborhood from what everyone says?
You are on the cusp of a bad area, but nothing to where you should fear your safety, IMO.

With that being said, I think it's probably overpriced, although I'm not a big Coconut Grove fan anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami