Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Chicken Fried Steak is sooooo good. If you are ever in the Dallas area go to Furr's they have the best Chicken Fried Steak.
Furr's Cafeteria

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Chicken Fried Steak is sooooo good. If you are ever in the Dallas area go to Furr's they have the best Chicken Fried Steak.
Every time we in Dallas; my momma wanna go to furrs.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Every time we in Dallas; my momma wanna go to furrs.
Furr's is off the chain.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
I know right, the most common complaint about the food here in Atlanta from people from other places in the south is our lack of good "soul food". Yeah we have a few good places, like Busy Bee, The Beautifal, Q-Time and This is It, but we really are not as big on it here as other places in the South. Sh*t, Sylvias from Harlem does brisk business up in NYC and has been for some time, she opened up one down here and it was dead after a few years. And quite honestly Ive found DC to have better soul food spots than Atlanta. So anyone that thinks chicken fried steak is an Atlanta staple has not really been here.

And C/S about wings being king here, when I think back on a traditional Atlanta meal from my childhood I dont think about Fried Chicken and colllard greens, I think about a 5 piece wing and fry combo from American Deli, with a tall Fruit Punch, no ice.....
Every street especially in the black neighborhoods has at least one American Deli, Yasins, Boston Fish, Home Box, or a combination of all 4. Not to mention that every Chinese spot in Atlanta probably sells more hot and lemon pepper wings than they do actual Chinese Food
^This

I don't know about all this "Southern food" stuff in Atlanta. Like you said, there is like maybe a dozen or so quality Soul/Southern food restaurants in all of Atlanta out of like 5000 restaurants. LOL.

To me, the city food that reigns supreme:

Hot wings from American Deli (but any hot wings will do)
Fish from Yasins
Dairy Queen
Zestos
Oasis
Waffle House
Bionic chicken wings from Churchs
Shrimp or Pork Fried rice (I don't mess with that swine though)
Gyros (Greek style Schawarma)
bean pies (Hmmm, I might need to take a trip down to Lee Street)
and in north dekalb Pho and Taquerias
and of course Coke and Sweet tea

In Atlanta, most people eat soul food made at home. They way it should be.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
^This

I don't know about all this "Southern food" stuff in Atlanta. Like you said, there is like maybe a dozen or so quality Soul/Southern food restaurants in all of Atlanta out of like 5000 restaurants. LOL.

Hot wings from American Deli (for those not in the know, almost all of them are run exclusively by Koreans, Viets or Thais)
Fish from Yasins
Dairy Queen
and in northeast dekalb Pho and Taquerias

Dairy Queen is very good, in Texas the slogan is "That's what I like about Texas"

Here is the video.

YouTube - Texas Dairy Queen commercial

Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Ok, now I want American Deli.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Ok, now I want American Deli.
What is American Deli?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM

364 posts, read 717,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
^This

Hot wings from American Deli (but any hot wings will do)
Fish from Yasins
Dairy Queen
Zestos
and in northeast dekalb Pho and Taquerias

Good List, Zestos, AD, and Yasins are my three favorite's. And Pho isnt just for the people in NE, Ive been known to drive over to Buford & Clairmont just to go to Pho #1, and while Pho # 96 up towards Chamblee isnt as good IMO, it has some nice Veitnamese cuties I must say . And that chile sauce with the Rooster on the label that they have at Pho, I dont know what you call it, but I found some at the Dekalb Farmers Market and I put that sauce on everything, that stuff makes Ramen noodles taste like a deilcacy...lol

Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM

364 posts, read 717,557 times
Quote:
What is American Deli?

The best fast food spot known to man that will probably kill you if you eat it everyday...lol

Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
And Pho isnt just for the people in NE, Ive been known to drive over to Buford & Clairmont just to go to Pho #1, and while Pho # 96 up towards Chamblee isnt as good IMO, it has some nice Veitnamese cuties I must say .
That's true, there's just not that many quality Pho places on the southside. Except for Hot Cafe on Riverdale Road (and their wings OMFG!). On Buford though, the best place for Pho hands down is Dai Loi #2

Quote:
And that chile sauce with the Rooster on the label that they have at Pho, I dont know what you call it, but I found some at the Dekalb Farmers Market and I put that sauce on everything, that stuff makes Ramen noodles taste like a deilcacy...lol
That's Sriracha Sauce. I have like 4 bottle in my house to compliment my variety of hot sauces. LOL. You can get it YDFM like you said and Buford Higway Farmers Market, and pretty much every other market on Buford Highway, Granny Kroger in Brookhaven, a couple Publix. I know I've seen it a few other places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami