Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 24,884 times

Advertisements

I love miami, but honestly i think that people who post here are fort lauderdale types, and you couldn't pay me to live there.

Miami is great for a number of reasons. Diversity obviously. Miami is truly a multicultural place, not meaning there's ethnic enclaves but multiple intermingling cultural practices. At work we seemlessly use kreyol spanish and english in the same sentences. Miami is really a carribean city distinct from any other place in the US.

Miami is also surrounded by wilderness and unparalleled natural beauty, it reminds me of the west coast in that way. The everglades, keys, biscayne bay, coral reefs, fishing, amazing natural city parks, big cypress, etc., are all within an hour give or take.

Miami is very affordable relative to other major cities if you live in the right areas. That's the thing everyone demonizes miami, but it's a working class city. There's the glamour but that's maybe 5% of the city. Overall its an international city of working people, which is where the best and the worst of miami comes from.

Seriously, where else can you grow mangos, coconuts, jackfruit, guava, etc... hawaii PR and the virgin islands. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM

470 posts, read 1,190,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
mass transit, adoption of new urbanism concepts
Miami21!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booey View Post
I love miami, but honestly i think that people who post here are fort lauderdale types, and you couldn't pay me to live there.

Miami is great for a number of reasons. Diversity obviously. Miami is truly a multicultural place, not meaning there's ethnic enclaves but multiple intermingling cultural practices. At work we seemlessly use kreyol spanish and english in the same sentences. Miami is really a carribean city distinct from any other place in the US.

Miami is also surrounded by wilderness and unparalleled natural beauty, it reminds me of the west coast in that way. The everglades, keys, biscayne bay, coral reefs, fishing, amazing natural city parks, big cypress, etc., are all within an hour give or take.

Miami is very affordable relative to other major cities if you live in the right areas. That's the thing everyone demonizes miami, but it's a working class city. There's the glamour but that's maybe 5% of the city. Overall its an international city of working people, which is where the best and the worst of miami comes from.

Seriously, where else can you grow mangos, coconuts, jackfruit, guava, etc... hawaii PR and the virgin islands. That's it.
Exactly. Some people that post here don't even live in Dade County. Some live elsewhere in Broward and Palm Beach. Some claim to live in Dade, but really don't. And obviously, the people that bash Miami/Dade are the Broward, Palm Beach types. You can't say certain things that people here say about Miami being a universal, in general type person like a NYC, Chicago, San Francisco or Miami person. You COULD kind of complain about weather but not to the extreme that people here do. Even if you hate hot, it's not that serious. Crime, well, it's a major city, you should have thought about that before moving here. And besides, stay in the nice areas, what are you doing wondering around ghettos. Suburban, no good enough mass transit, hello, Miami21 and you will get it. Annoying commission, yeah, I give you that one . More middle class, there's plenty here, a LOT.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Less crime, nicer and more educated people, less ghettos, 4 season weather, more efficient freeways, less people, higher wages, more diversity and of course lower cost of living!!!
"Less crime:" Major city

"nicer and more educated people:" It's a major city, both nice and mean. Education, both smart and not so smart.

"less ghettos:" Major city

"less people:" ...LOL! Hello! hahaha, it's a major city, and has a small amount of people compared to NYC and other major cities.

"more diversity:" ??? really? Miami is one of the most diverse cities in the nation.

"lower cost of living:" again, where are you trying to live? Star Island? Miami is really, REALLY cheap.

I'm not even going to mention the weather part because somebody already answered that for me, but...everything you mention seems to fall under a tiny, suburban place. Why don't you leave the major city that is Miami and go to a suburban place? Everything you mention falls under suburban except for diversity.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM

796 posts, read 1,837,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booey View Post

I'll be moving out of Miami in less than a month....besides my parents and friends, this is what I will miss the most...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM

409 posts, read 643,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
More middle class, there's plenty here, a LOT.
I have to disagree with you here. The statistics clearly show that Miami is severely lacking in the middle class department. Which is probably why so many people here post how much they hate it. When you look at the upper middle class and up ($100k+) Miami has about the same number of households as most similar cities. But when you get the lower middle class Miami really falls behind and also has a lot of working class families.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of options for for someone to make a decent living without a degree and 80% of the population here doesn't have one. So I think Miami would be better if more people were college educated and there was a smaller gap between the have's and have not's.

Households by income

$0k - $50k = 78% (working poor,working class, lower middle class)
$50k - $75k = 9% (lower middle class)
$75 - $100k = 5% (lower middle class, upper middle class)
$100k - $200k = 5% (upper middle class)
$200k+ = 3% (upper class)

Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I have to disagree with you here. The statistics clearly show that Miami is severely lacking in the middle class department. Which is probably why so many people here post how much they hate it. When you look at the upper middle class and up ($100k+) Miami has about the same number of households as most similar cities. But when you get the lower middle class Miami really falls behind and also has a lot of working class families.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of options for for someone to make a decent living without a degree and 80% of the population here doesn't have one. So I think Miami would be better if more people were college educated and there was a smaller gap between the have's and have not's.

Households by income

$0k - $50k = 78% (working poor,working class, lower middle class)
$50k - $75k = 9% (lower middle class)
$75 - $100k = 5% (lower middle class, upper middle class)
$100k - $200k = 5% (upper middle class)
$200k+ = 3% (upper class)
Well, I was talking about middle class as a whole, but your right about lower middle class. That's an issue Miami needs to fix.

But on that whole without a degree thing, well if you're talking about college degrees and such, I can't speak on that. But I saw somewhere that it said something about Miami having a high number of people with a high school diploma, but I know plenty of people with high diplomas and degrees, but I think since there's a lot of older people here that just come here to live their last few years in a better place, that that's why the number of people with a diploma is so high. Well, one large contribution (the ghettos with high populations are another) There's a lot of people here that just come here to live the rest of their days in a nice area. And most of those are grandparents, that just live in their kids house. I don't know, I just feel that those facts contribute to certain things. Just my two cents.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,319,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Exactly. Some people that post here don't even live in Dade County. Some live elsewhere in Broward and Palm Beach. Some claim to live in Dade, but really don't. And obviously, the people that bash Miami/Dade are the Broward, Palm Beach types. You can't say certain things that people here say about Miami being a universal, in general type person like a NYC, Chicago, San Francisco or Miami person. You COULD kind of complain about weather but not to the extreme that people here do. Even if you hate hot, it's not that serious. Crime, well, it's a major city, you should have thought about that before moving here. And besides, stay in the nice areas, what are you doing wondering around ghettos. Suburban, no good enough mass transit, hello, Miami21 and you will get it. Annoying commission, yeah, I give you that one . More middle class, there's plenty here, a LOT.
that part is a matter of opinion, i think the weather here sucks.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM

119 posts, read 248,017 times
Nicer people.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,319,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
Nicer people.
when encountering rude people here are they generally when driving or face to face? I ask because I have noticed that in cars the people turn into utter retards. But face to face people in Miami seem to be anywhere from indifferent to nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami