Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
You mean blue state vs. red state? And who would annex Florida?
We in north Florida could go to Georgia - and Cuba - Haiti - maybe Venezuela - could have south Florida . Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM

51 posts, read 80,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well we didn't actually advocate Spanish signs for the zoo. We just paid half the cost (we came up with the idea - got together with the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana - and let them do most of the legwork - although we did get involved personally in a political/PR sense after the thing had dragged out for years). At the time - a lot of our clients/business contacts were people who came from Cuba - my husband and I spoke Spanish - we thought that tourism from Spanish speaking countries was important in Dade County - we loved zoos - still do (and they're more attractive to tourists than riots) - and we were (still are) pretty conservative politically (like a lot of the Cuban community - not anything like the Goode family - I saw a couple of episodes of that show on TV - it was lame - not funny at all IMO - and this is from an over 60 woman who watches shows like the Simpsons and South Park on a regular basis). The only thing I regret about the project is that Hurricane Andrew quite literally ripped it to pieces. Robyn

P.S. My husband's a WASP - and I'm Jewish - but we are both politically conservative.
I see.

Cheers, then!

Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
No one's going to fault you for moving to Florida - and getting involved in community activities to try to change things for the better. I welcome your youthful enthusiasm (I now devote most of what is left of mine to improving my golf game ). But it's easier to talk than actually accomplish anything in my experience. And - IMO - Chicago is a city with financial problems in a state that has some of the worst finances of any state in the country. I happen to like Chicago - and visit there a fair amount. But calling it an "alpha" city is like saying a guy with a great six-pack is an alpha male even if he has to ask his girlfriend to pay for dinner when they go out.

BTW - the greatest contribution my husband and I made to Dade County was joining with the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana to provide all the money to post bilingual signs at Metrozoo when the anti-bilingual ordinance was in effect. Only took us 2-3 years to cut through all the governmental bureaucratic red tape to do that. And then - a few years later - Hurricane Andrew blew away a lot of the zoo - and all of our signs. Kind of demoralizing.
lol, good post. i happen to agree with you about chicago and its alhpa city status. despite chicago's huge transformation, i do not think it is worthy of the status as a world alpha city. the city is corrupt beyond belief and is far from perfect in terms of our crime and ghetto's, especially as long as that scumbag King Dick Daley continues to hold power. that being said GaWC studies from the UK has thrown Chicago in the groupings of Alpha World City's, probably cause it met some sort of linear criteria or something or other. I know what I'm saying is all talk for now, but there is no reason a plan like Miami 21 can't, at the very least, get the ball rolling in the right direction. At the very least, stir up some talk among those who are living there about moving Miami in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about your bilingual efforts going to waste. It would be terrible if Miami lost its Hispanic identity and I am glad people took action. but I think the last thing Miami needs to worry about these days is loosing the Spanish language

Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Less crime, nicer and more educated people, less ghettos, 4 season weather, more efficient freeways, less people, higher wages, more diversity and of course lower cost of living!!!
You described Raleigh.
I live in both Raleigh and Miami Beach.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Let's please talk about Miami, this is the OP's topic (see below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
What changes you would like to see to make Miami desirable place to live. Please share yours!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
Robyn 55

As a long term resident of South Florida I empathize with your feelings about Miami.

There are some nice parts of Miami and some great people.

That being said I now feel like a stranger in Miami and feel like a visit once a year is sufficient.

Harrymiafla----where are you. You shill shamelously on all Miami blogs----are you paid by the chamber of commerce. I await your blissful direction.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
[quote=JohnLee1;14135902]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Are you crazy? A 1/1 for $900.00 , a 3/2 house for $2,000.00 in a middle class neighborhood it's not cheap at all, you need a mega big check to enjoy the good Miami has to offer, just be real!! most people out there don't make more than $400.00 a week, and do you still thinking Miami is cheap? gimmie a break! check stats, they r really sad, people make little money and pay big bucks for a mortgage!

if 1/1 for 900 actually exists in Miami than that is just ONE place. There are many others. MANY OTHERS. My cousins and a few friends pay anywhere from as low as around 500/550 to 800 for a one bedroom, two bedroom, and three. And none of them are in ghettos. I guess you have to know how to shop. OR just not think that the only places to live are perfect lawn, gated, BMW's in every gargage places.
I'm talking about the Kendall area, which is not a big deal, just a middle class neigborhood... Probably your cousins are in the Affordable Housing program

Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 AM

452 posts, read 1,345,805 times
Moderator cut: Personal AttackI lived in Miami 30 years...Saw A-Z...Lived the good life life the bad life...Lived the South beach life, lived the Grove life when it was HOT......And now relocated to Charlotte....I love Miami....but in one simple term im going to tell you what Miami is filled with....It is filled with "pretenders" and "wannabe"...Typically you'd find a joeblow driving a Mercedez C-Class living in a duplex with his parents...working at Office Max....Everyone wants to be noticed, everyone wants to be on stage....And thanks to Facebook...its even worse now

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-27-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Personal Attack - Watch it!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM

78 posts, read 72,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany;14359018[mod
Personal Attack[/mod] I lived in Miami 30 years...Saw A-Z...Lived the good life life the bad life...Lived the South beach life, lived the Grove life when it was HOT......And now relocated to Charlotte....I love Miami....but in one simple term im going to tell you what Miami is filled with....It is filled with "pretenders" and "wannabe"...Typically you'd find a joeblow driving a Mercedez C-Class living in a duplex with his parents...working at Office Max....Everyone wants to be noticed, everyone wants to be on stage....And thanks to Facebook...its even worse now
Good post. Miami is ful of wannabes and posers and people living well beyond their means. It's a sorry state of affairs when the general populace becomes so obsessed with image and little else. Why do you think Miami has (by far) the highest ratio of credit card debt in relation to annual income? Of course, "it's the same everywhere" LOL.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-27-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I agree that Miami is a vain city-----a collection of wannabes and self worshippers.

I know every city has its vanity level----yet Miamis level is enoromously high.

This is strictly a big event city-----during the regular season the Marlins and the Panthers draw flies. When the Marlins went to the series twice everybody climbed on the bandwagon and went to be seen.

Every city has its good and bad points. Miami has some fine restaurants, south beach, and some good shopping areas. For a once or twice a year destination its fine. As a place to reside or constantly visit no thanks.

Miami, and for that matter, South Florida is definitely not for everybody. It is different universe down here and unless you are prepared to adust totally to different culture and foundation, it will be difficult for you.

When I moved to South Florida 26 years ago I found Miami initially to be unique with the major Hispanic influences and diversity via Hispanic and Creole culture. After a couple of years, it just wears you down. There is a definite arrrogance and rudeness aura in Miami. The amount of disdain for professional service and competence, the unbelievable corruption level, and the utter lack of effort of a large part of Miamis populace to attemp to ammalgamate to American standards is enough to keep most South Floridians away from Miami.

There are some great folks in Miami----If I have offended I am sorry. I know a lot of you are proud to live in Miami and in Dade County----sorry, just my many and varied experiences with Miami lead me to my conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami