Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 02:02 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,605 times

Advertisements

So anybody know what the deal is with this thing? I know now Miami International University of Art and Design occupies what used to be the Jordan Marsh store front, but the rest of this huge mall is more or less completely empty. I heard the mall declined in the early 90's when the neighborhood deteriorated. The area looks nice now though, how bad did the neighborhood get? Anyways, anybody got any dirt on what the city plans to do with this mall? I'd like to see them revitalize the place, it's comes off as an attractive building that could be great for many different types of venues or shops, theater's, restaurants, anything. So, what's the word these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 04:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
Did some quick reading....looks like a Publix was approved a few weeks ago Plans for a Publix boost onetime `ghost town' - Real Estate News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/27/1601412/plans-for-a-publix-boost-onetime.html - broken link) . Other than that there have been a few proposals out there (like the Omni Shops and Omni Offices), but none of them have really got off the ground.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:45 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
The Omni, in the late 90s, was a ghost town. It has a semi functional food court and a shoe and a wig store. That is ALL that was in the two story mall. The mall also served as a bus station transfer point at the same time so you can imagine the kind of people that were lurking around the empty corridors, it was spooky.

The area around the Omni wasn't so bad as it was deserted (ghost town). Just unpopulated and by night prostitution and adjacent Overtown didn't help.

It seems like things have made a full change and the Omni now has a promising future.

The thing is, the Omni was cool until Sobe took off. Then it went down hill. Same with the Grove (but to a much less extent). One area is the hot spot for a time, then a new area is "discovered." That is a cycle that repeats itself over and over in South Florida.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,047,410 times
remember that old deli in the Omni ? Anyone remember the name ? I have fond memories of it

I also saw the musical show "peter pan" at the omni when I was a kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami