U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 29,744 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I'll be moving to the MIA June 30 as I've gotten a job at Jackson Memorial Hospital / Univ. of Miami School of Medicine, downtown Miami.

Someone at the University emailed me the following about Key Biscayne:

"You have beach, shops, places of worship, golfing, tennis and it’s an exclusive little island. You pay a toll, but people who live on the island get a special rate card. It’s 10 minutes from the University (by this I'm assuming she means the Univ. of Miami [Cedars] Hospital) driving. You could also park the car at the Vizcaya metrorail station and 5 stations later you are at work.

This area is 5 minutes from downtown, 10 minutes from Coral Gables, 5 minutes from Coconut Grove. It really is an awesome place for a young guy to live. You don’t have the clubs/nightlife of Miami Beach. What you have here are lots of people that like to enjoy the beach, ocean and family."

As far as the travel times that are quoted- are they realistic???

Are her other comments somewhat accurate?

While you're here reading this, any guesstimates on what rents would be for a 2 bed / 2 bath in Key Biscayne?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,648,735 times
The email is pretty good. I don't think the 5 minutes to Coconut Grove is right, as I think it would take you at least 5 minutes just to get of the Key. Then at least another 5 minutes to get the Grove and that is being generous. Its probably more like 15 minutes with all the traffic and traffic lights. And a little more to Coral Gables.

I like the Key a lot, as a young person you may also want to look at Brickell and South Beach.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 AM

14,628 posts, read 19,142,281 times
We lived on Key Biscayne for over 10 years - liked it a lot - and the commute is very easy (we worked downtown) with one big exception. The beach traffic on weekends/holidays (to Crandon and Cape Florida parks) - especially in the summer - is AWFUL. You kind of have to plan your day around it. Definitely take a look at it before you decide to move there. Robyn

Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The email is pretty good. I don't think the 5 minutes to Coconut Grove is right, as I think it would take you at least 5 minutes just to get of the Key. Then at least another 5 minutes to get the Grove and that is being generous. Its probably more like 15 minutes with all the traffic and traffic lights. And a little more to Coral Gables.

I like the Key a lot, as a young person you may also want to look at Brickell and South Beach.
Thanks Doggiebus for your input. I'm not at all into the drinking/clubbing/bar scene so I thought South Beach wouldn't be for me. I also didn't want to stay in an urban jungle-type high-rise, so that pretty much eliminated Brickell.

I'm seeking a more serene setting, safe neighborhood, easy access to stuff that any nature enthusiast would enjoy, and a not-so-horrible commute to the hospital (as one would find if commuting from Sunny Isles I've been told.)

Last edited by cookiemonster1; 05-20-2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM

3,757 posts, read 7,913,813 times
Key Biscayne is perfect. I think the travel to and from is really good - you will love it. I think you may be able to find reasonable housing as far as rentals but cant really speak to that - it should be easy enough for you to find out. I would live on the Key in a hearbeat if I were you.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We lived on Key Biscayne for over 10 years - liked it a lot - and the commute is very easy (we worked downtown) with one big exception. The beach traffic on weekends/holidays (to Crandon and Cape Florida parks) - especially in the summer - is AWFUL. You kind of have to plan your day around it. Definitely take a look at it before you decide to move there. Robyn
Thanks for the tip Robyn. As bad as the traffic can get in the summer as you say, overall however, would you say the average traffic year-round, taking into consideration rush-hour traffic, is relatively easier to deal with when living in Key Biscayne as compared to mid-beach (around 41st ave.)?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Key Biscayne is perfect. I think the travel to and from is really good - you will love it. I think you may be able to find reasonable housing as far as rentals but cant really speak to that - it should be easy enough for you to find out. I would live on the Key in a hearbeat if I were you.
Thanks StilltheSame, I myself am curious about the rents. The realtor I am in touch with has not yet gotten back to me with specific rentals. I've been told however that rents in a non-super-luxury building for a 2 bed / 2 bath could range from $1800 to $2500 per month.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM

14,628 posts, read 19,142,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster1 View Post
Thanks for the tip Robyn. As bad as the traffic can get in the summer as you say, overall however, would you say the average traffic year-round, taking into consideration rush-hour traffic, is relatively easier to deal with when living in Key Biscayne as compared to mid-beach (around 41st ave.)?
I assume you mean 41st Street on Miami Beach. Have never lived in that area - so I don't know what the commute is like. Another place you might look at is the north Grove and the condos/rentals in that area. I also lived at Grove Isle (in the north Grove) - and the commute from there was really easy. Robyn

Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 AM

140 posts, read 462,601 times
Be aware that Jackson Memorial Hospital's main campus is not in Downtown. JMH is so large that I call the area the Medical Center area (on our Metrorail system it's called Civic Center because of the courthouse/jail nearby). If you look on Google satellite map, you will see it's a fair distance away from Downtown, on the other side of I-95

You have to drive on a causeway to get from the residential parts of Key Biscayne to the mainland (minimum 5 minutes).

Depending on the time you go to work and whether you're going against or with traffic, your commute from residential parts of Key Biscayne to the JMH campus can range from 15 minutes to 35 minutes. If you work in the morning, you would be going against traffic. Key Biscayne is great if you enjoy bicycling and nature, and is very safe.

The residential parts of Brickell are not as congested as you think and you can get a 2/2 with parking in a newer bldg for $1700-$2,000, and $1,500+ for an older bldg with mature oaks and banyan trees (it's not all concete jungle on brickell; portions are quite lush). Brickell is kind of long and stretched out. I live in the southern portion, and it takes me 10 minutes to go from my unit to the 836 exit on I-95, so I figure 15 minutes to JMH itself. Also, from many buildings you can walk to Metrorail instead of having to drive and park. There are a few JMH staff members renting in my bldg.

I prefer Brickell to Key Biscayne because I don't have to to deal with a causeway/toll booth for my everyday commute, and there are a lot more dining and entertainment options. Also since you don't like highrises, be aware that many SFHs in Key Biscayne flood during tropical storms and the like. Ask before you rent, and look for a watermark in the paint, coz you may end up periodically putting your furniture on cinder blocks during Hurricane season.

For around $1,600/mo, you can get a newer 2/2 in the "Midtown" area, which is more gritty than Brickell, but a straight shot to the JMH main campus (I-395 to 836), probably only 10 minutes.

Coconut Grove is a nice option for trees, nature and quality of life. However, you will have to deal with rush hour traffic no matter when you go to work. If you go to work in the mornings, from the Grove to I-95 will be solid traffic on the main roads. If you work in the evening, you will hit the traffic on I-95 from folks coming from downtown going north. Either way, you're looking at a 30+ minute commute.

The rental market is still soft, although concessions are going away and rates have been inching up the last 6 months. My point is that there are lots of options, there is no shortage of rental units, and you should take your time and make your decision after inspecting in person. You may wish to take a short term lease in a furnished unit, so that you can get a feel for different neighborhoods before committing to one.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelquiet View Post
The rental market is still soft, although concessions are going away and rates have been inching up the last 6 months. My point is that there are lots of options, there is no shortage of rental units, and you should take your time and make your decision after inspecting in person. You may wish to take a short term lease in a furnished unit, so that you can get a feel for different neighborhoods before committing to one.
Feelquiet- thanks so very much for taking the time to write out your thoughts, they're very helpful! Should anything else cross your mind I do hope you'll share.

Cheers :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami