U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,524,066 times

Advertisements

Oh fine, I will respond. Broward wasa 49.9 non hispanic White, making it minority-majority. In general PBC is worse then it looks and Broward looks worse than it is! I seldom feel unsafe anywhere here except a few chunks of Lauderdale and Pompano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Most of Palm Beach County is not really "white", Broward County probably has a larger anglo population than Palm Beach County. Go to any of the main cities like Lake Worth, Boynton Beach, West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, etc. and you will see anglos are the minority. And the funny thing is, if you look at the crime the shootings have been coming from people that are not "white", and if you look at the most dangerous areas they are not the "White" ones.
Whites are the minority in MOST Broward cities, both nice ones and not that nice ones, but I think the population is less segregated and more consistently diverse. I have noticed that much of the crime element in Fort Lauderdale is in the "Anglo" community though. Like when I stopped for gas in the Northridge area and had some white guy walk up and try to sell me stolen Dolce and Gabanna sunglasses (Certainly were autentic, I have an eye for designer versus fake goods!). Many blacks were at the gas station and I could see them mumbling to themselves how rediculous that is when the guy left for another location.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:22 PM

184 posts, read 423,938 times
Quote:
I don't need to "wake up". I am well aware it happens in other places in the country, I have traveled all over the U.S. However I don't like seeing my communities go downhill. You need to wake up and see things are changing for the worse. And this does not happen "everywhere", I have been to middle sized cities up north were people keep their doors unlocked and they feel safe.

And I've been to poor anglo areas and felt safe in them, and met many friendly people.If you went to a poor non-anglo area however you would see bars on windows, etc. I am not being racist, this is from my experience. However I think blaming all the problems on "hispanics" on this forum is way overstated. They are not the cause of every problem in South Florida like some members make them out to be.

*******s come in many shapes, sizes, and colors.
Nobody likes seeing their county go downhill .... but what good does constant posting about it on this forum do for anyone ... we all read the papers and know what is going on , this is obviously not the South Florida of our parents ... but again what does constant griping and moaning do to help can you explain that to me ?

I am from Jacksonville and go home twice a year to see relatives , don't you think it pains me to see that the crime rate has shot up there and it is now as dangerous as anywhere in South Florida .... but I do not go on the Jacksonville forum and post the same crap over and over again . Please tell me what "middle size " cities up North exist where people keep there doors unlocked ... I would like to know as Providence , Rhode Island where I was last week surely is not one of them . There is no large metro area in this great country where you do not have a crime problem .... and South Florida is no exception . I can bet I am older than you ( 45 ) have a family and have lived in four major cities and they all have similar problems ... my job takes me all over the country and most of Latin America ... I am not on this forum to BS anyone , I simply do not think and never will think that South Florida is the hell hole many of you guys make it out to be . Yes , many of the posters on here express either implicit or veiled racism mainly towards Hispanics which I sometimes take personally as my wife is Hispanic and you cannot generalize all for some bad apples ... I do agree with you on that one .

By the way the bars on windows thing is common in any neighborhood in Latin America , especially the Hispanic Caribbean ... Dominican Republic , Panama , Puerto Rico and Cuba it is a very "Spanish " tradition and at least in Latin America is a very common sight even in neighborhoods that are not crime ridden . I think they are quite ugly myself ... but again it is just as much a tradition as it is a safety precaution .

Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
The bars on the windows, is totally a hispanic culture thing. There are only like 3 homes in my neighborhood with bars and they are owned by a hispanic individual. I agree they are so ugly...

Old 06-17-2007, 09:03 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,692,270 times
I have seen bars on windows in non-hispanic neighborhoods though, like in Lauderhill, Opa Locka, Boynton Beach, West Palm Beach, Pompano Beach, etc.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The bars on the windows, is totally a hispanic culture thing. There are only like 3 homes in my neighborhood with bars and they are owned by a hispanic individual. I agree they are so ugly...

Not only that , they are also a "fire trap " I was in Santo Domingo late last year and a two young kids died in a blaze from a burning Christmas tree ... of course they were alone and could not get out of their house due to the frickin burglar bars ... it is a very "Caribbean Hispanic " thing as you will not see these in South American countries such as Colombia , Chile , Argentina or Brazil . Totally agree they are so nasty and so outdated with the advent of burglar alarms and other security options .

Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I have seen bars on windows in non-hispanic neighborhoods though, like in Lauderhill, Opa Locka, Boynton Beach, West Palm Beach, Pompano Beach, etc.
They are usually there strictly for security in these locations. Lauderhill, Opa Locka, Boynton Beach, and those other communities are communities with high and soaring crime rates. I think in some of those places it may have to do with the Haitian infulence though because I have knwon people who lived in Haiti and they have informed me they are popular in Haiti.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-17-2007 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: clarify my knowledge on the security bars

Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
Not only that , they are also a "fire trap " I was in Santo Domingo late last year and a two young kids died in a blaze from a burning Christmas tree ... of course they were alone and could not get out of their house due to the frickin burglar bars ... it is a very "Caribbean Hispanic " thing as you will not see these in South American countries such as Colombia , Chile , Argentina or Brazil . Totally agree they are so nasty and so outdated with the advent of burglar alarms and other security options .
They did a story on that on the local news a few years back about security bars in Miami Dade and fire departments.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Do many Jamaicans or Haitians live in these areas .... maybe it is not simply a
"Caribbean Hispanic " thing but a "Caribbean" thing ?

Strange as I also travel to Jamaica and have never seen these there and areas such as Kingston have terrible crime rates ?

Old 06-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
Do many Jamaicans or Haitians live in these areas .... maybe it is not simply a
"Caribbean Hispanic " thing but a "Caribbean" thing ?

Strange as I also travel to Jamaica and have never seen these there and areas such as Kingston have terrible crime rates ?
They nickname Lauderhill "Jamacia Hill", so that i think answers the question! Many hatians are living there as well as in Boynton Beach and Pompano Beach. I think maybe it has more to do with poverty, but who knows , since i have no clue how much those bars cost versus modern security systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami