Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 AM

94 posts, read 134,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i wonder if its like how i heard it is in detroit where apparently the blacks there would rather vote for a corrupt black official than a white person. theyd prefer to be screwed by one of their own than have a white person in power. geez.

I find Floridians to be loyal to a party way more than in NY . NY Reps/Dems even Independents are voted in or replaced with a different party thats the way it should be if someone stinks.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Did you see this WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Two teenagers were accused of gang raping a woman and forcing her 12-year-old son to join in the attack, then beating him and pouring cleaning solution into his eyes. Police: Boy forced into sex with mom - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I live in a middle class neighborhood in West Palm Beach and the crime is very high here, there are drug dealers and there were even three shootings within a short radius of where I live. Once I was sitting in my back yard and a man ran through it (a police officer shortly after asked me if I saw anything "suspicious"), and we've had 4 break ins this week alone.
South Florida votes liek people in detroit do, by race not by merritt or competence. So if you are hispanic and running for in office against anyone from other races you will win because of your hispanic heritage. This is one of the reasons Miami is in the place it is today.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Did you see this WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Two teenagers were accused of gang raping a woman and forcing her 12-year-old son to join in the attack, then beating him and pouring cleaning solution into his eyes. Police: Boy forced into sex with mom - Yahoo! News (broken link)

South Florida votes liek people in detroit do, by race not by merritt or competence.
Sounds like a typical WPB Story to me...that place has an air of third-worldness to it. Probably the worst crime in the state.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:

South Florida votes liek people in detroit do, by race not by merritt or competence. So if you are hispanic and running for in office against anyone from other races you will win because of your hispanic heritage. This is one of the reasons Miami is in the place it is today.
Pretty good post , although I disagree with your take on Hispanics voting only for their own in South Florida . We know that most Mexican Americans do follow that trend in California , Texas , Arizona , etc , etc ... but in South Florida it seems to be Cubans voting for other Cubans and even more if they are a Cuban Republican . Other Hispanic Americans ( Including Brazilians ) that are citizens and qualified to vote .... never vote for Cuban Americans that run for office down here .... not only because they are not Cuban , but because most Cubans are Republicans and most other Hispanics are Democrats also most other Hispanics can give a rats ass about the situation in Cuba or Castro and his politics , thus do not feel represented by Cuban American politicians . I think Cuban and Hispanic are used interchangeably down here and it is not allways correct to do so . I know several second generation professional Hispanic Americans ( Non - Cubans ) who in fact have left South Florida in disgust at the fact that Cubans run everything especially in Miami . By the way it is only natural for people to vote in bloc for their own kind , i.e. race and ethnicity .... I am sure few "whites " myself included rarely vote for a non white despite better qualifications from a minority candidate , it is just human nature ... some of here may claim that they are blind to color but I do not buy that .

By the way despite many traits and customs that drive me nuts ... I am more bullish on Hispanics than Blacks ... I do not see any end in sight for the problems in the black community , crime , broken homes , poverty , and the race card . It is much worse than within the Hispanic community IMO .

Cheers

MH

I have been here for a year and closely follow politics especially in Miami as it is exciting due to its third world nature and I know of no Dade County or City Of Miami Hispanic currently in public office that is not a Cuban . Can you name one ?

Last edited by Musclehead; 07-07-2007 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I wanted to say Cubans but...I understand it is natural to vote your own kind in, but by doing this we have made Miami the cesspool it is becoming. I vote for whomever is right for the job, I don't care what their background is. I wish the people of Miami would do the same, and maybe it would help this county before it gets much worse. But I don't see that ever changing the Cubans will continue to vote their own in, even if they are corrupt (that third world mentality thing). And the white people will continue to leave, I can't wait till the next census, it will be like 12% white then in Miami-Dade County.

But the issues in Miami are just moving north, my relatives in Broward say they are starting to feel the same issues we are having. They too are thinking of moving out of the tri county area. So it is only time till it in gulfs Broward and Palm Beach (which already has its own issues) I wish we could get a stong major like Giuliani was for NYC. It is truely a sad thing to watch the area I grew up (Miami-Dade County) deteriate.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:24 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
I wanted to say Cubans but...I understand it is natural to vote your own kind in, but by doing this we have made Miami the cesspool it is becoming. I vote for whomever is right for the job, I don't care what their background is. I wish the people of Miami would do the same, and maybe it would help this county before it gets much worse. But I don't see that ever changing the Cubans will continue to vote their own in, even if they are corrupt (that third world mentality thing). And the white people will continue to leave, I can't wait till the next census, it will be like 12% white then in Miami-Dade County.

But the issues in Miami are just moving north, my relatives in Broward say they are starting to feel the same issues we are having. They too are thinking of moving out of the tri county area. So it is only time till it in gulfs Broward and Palm Beach (which already has its own issues) I wish we could get a stong major like Giuliani was for NYC. It is truely a sad thing to watch the area I grew up (Miami-Dade County) deteriate.
I cannot argue with your post ... you are on target . I guess living in Boca and spending most of time between Wellington , Ft.Lauderdale and here does not give me an accurate view of Miami

Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,259 times
I lived in both cities at one time. New Yorkers would not tolerate latins getting out of hand. The Italians and true New Yorkers would kick their butts.
Most of Mahattan residents are tough. Puerto Rico can be dangerous and the locals know that. It is not Disneyworlds Spanish Village at Epcot. There are dangerous areas as their are in major metropolitan cities. I wouldn't want to go for a cheeseburger in the Bronx at 2am. Just like in all Latin cities there are the wealthy and there are the ones that were forgotten in this big plan of give me, give me. You don't think those people would not slit your throat for a five dollar bill.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
There is someone on here that claims that NYC and Puerto Rico are the worst cities in the world as far as crime ....as if no one would dare walk those streets escpecially if they are from Florida or basically anywhere else in the world......who thinks that people in this forum from Miami would be scared to visit NYC or Puerto Rico and why do you think this "Hustla718" says all this stuff about other places even if the statistics prove him wrong?
Your a loser guy. I cannot belive a mod let this thread go on.

Please quote me where I said "NYC and Puerto Rico were the worst cities in the world". Puerto Rico is not a city you idiot.

The O.P. is a White middle class male who lives in a suburb of Miami and is offended by Puerto Rican teens bullying him saying he hasn't seen anything unless he has visited the projects in NYC or Puerto Rico. Just look at his past post.

It was the O.P. that stated Miami was the most dangerous city in the world in the 1980's, murder capital with 800 homicides a year (The city of Miami has never had even close to 800 homicides a year). He learned this from a video called the "Cocain Cowboys" he states.

What I did say was this:

-Although NYC has improved in comparison to the crack epidemic there are still some sections of the city as crime ridden as anywhere in the USA. This is a fact. In the end though, i'll take a house in the ****test part of "most dangerous Florida city Orlando" over a housing project/tenement apartment in the worst parts of "safest city NYC" anyday. The thread was not even about NYC, he brought NYC into the topic. It was a comparison or crime rates in Orlando and Puerto Rico.

-As for Puerto Rico. I mentioned parts of Puerto Rico are some of the most dangerous locations in the world. This is due to drug traffic thanks to PR's "hub" status in the Caribbean. There are housing projects, shantytown slums, and poor towns that have VERY high homicide rates on the island of Puerto Rico. These areas are comparable to high crime drug infested Mexican border towns such as Nuevo Laredo. San Juan, Puerto Rico also has a higher crime/murder rate then the city the topic was comparing it to, Orlando. San Juan, PR averages 200+ murders a year. It has about 2x the population of Orlando, Florida but covers a smaller area. That means San Juan, Puerto Rico has more then FIVE TIMES more murders then Florida's most dangerous major city with only double the population. That means San Juan, Puerto Rico has more then THREE TIMES THE MURDER RATE. If Puerto Rico was an independent nation, it would have one of the highest homicide rates in the world.

Here is the thread for all to read:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...ndo-crime.html

Keep my name out your mouth kid.

BTW, don't think Giuliani did anything for crime in NYC. He just rode the wave. The crack era ended nationwide and the killings slowed. The crime rates among NYC's poorest (African Americans and Puerto Ricans) are as high as anywhere else in the country, including high crime cities. Murders rates 100+ per 100,000. It went from really bad to bad for these people. If NYC did not have a growing immigrant population and just African Americans, PR's, and Whites like it once did, the city would have some of the highest per capita crime and murder stats in the country. I work for the NYPD and i'm telling you, don't vote for that ******* Giuliani.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-12-2007 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibornandraised View Post
i guess because I am a single female, i see things a little more on the half empty side. I live in a upper class area, and we have break ins on a daily basis. also the DEA, and the fed's are always around. just on my block we have three mid level drug dealers, one who lives next to me and one who lives across from me. and those are just the ones we know. we also have judge who lives down the street. we all know the slums are bad, no one can or will argue liberty city, carol city, little havana, or allapatta.....is the best place in the world. but the "safe" "upper class" areas hide just as many dirty and dangerous people. they just hide it better. also remember the wolf in the sheeps clothing is more dangerous than the wolf who is wearing the dredlocks and gang colors. there are some "safe areas" but they are rare and if you were to move in for a spell you too would find out all there dirty laundry.

This is very true....i am a white boy of italian decsent and i lived up in the Hialeah/P.S.N./Carol City/Miami LAkes area...i put all those together because i had many friends/associates that lived in these areas when i was there and i stayed at peoples houses alot.....we bought our weed from places in Opa-Locka and Carol City back then .....sometimes we would stop by "Bootlegger" ....that place off of 37th ave. that you can see driving on the north side of the Palmetto expressway....well i lived in a more suburban type area in Miami-Dade....not the ghetto, but we had people that liked to jump out of cars and rob people for fun because we were bored and i didnt know anyone except one or 2 people that didnt wanna do some drugs or drink when they werent tied up with school..but then again we smoked weed in the hallway while skipping class at "American Highschool"......stealing was the past-time along with street tackle football.....and there was 15 , 16, and 17 year old people i knew that all had a gun for "protection"....and this was the suburbs in Miami......i guess you get used to it when you have lived there.......guess i am desensitezed to things sometimes.....i have matured and really look down on things i "did"....but it is part of my history and i cant change or deny it.....especially when someone hasnt lived in my life and tells me i havent done "this or that" or my city couldnt compare to "this or that"

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 07-12-2007 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Believe what you want...i know there are bad areas in NYC too. I am just saying that New Yorkers "think" they are always the "best" or "worst" when it comes to different subjects ....just because they are in the biggest city in the U.S. .....i would still love to visit NYC but if you move to Miami and think that it's like NYC then you are fooled.....even the suburbs in Miami have things that the innercities of america see on a daily basis.......Hope people on here check the "data" on each city and read up on the history of each city and actually visit or live in each before passing judgement........i never judged NYC until a New Yorker opened his mouth and claimed thier neighborhoods were worse than anything i could see in Florida....it's not true at all.......statistics do prove some things are true about places.......

Miami, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read at the bottom about Miami.....i believe they say that based on FBI reports that Miami is the 2nd most dangerous metropolitain area in the U.S. Behind.....?......not NYC

even though NYC has the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn

well....

what do they say about crime on the next page....?.......

let's see

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami