U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Currently in Oscoda!!
274 posts, read 388,223 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
you know mich things are tough everywhere....I guess its just the way you approach and deal with things. I am having a very tough time in atlanta...Im living from paycheck to paycheck...I am so stressed that I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I think it all boils down to big city living. Traffic, too many people, too hot, crime, bills are skyrocketing etc


I just need to get away from it all
I just moved away from ATL last Wed. I was there for 2 years and that more than enough for me. I am staying here in Oscoda till I get a job. But I have 2 interviews this week and hoping I get one of the jobs!!

Yes as far as ATL goes, it is WAY too hot for me and way too many people. If you decide to make it up this way to the beautiful state of MI you will not be disappointed. The people are friendlier and you can definitely find a nice little town and enjoy nature and a slower pace of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM
 
1,558 posts, read 1,491,529 times
Reputation: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
I just moved away from ATL last Wed. I was there for 2 years and that more than enough for me. I am staying here in Oscoda till I get a job. But I have 2 interviews this week and hoping I get one of the jobs!!

Yes as far as ATL goes, it is WAY too hot for me and way too many people. If you decide to make it up this way to the beautiful state of MI you will not be disappointed. The people are friendlier and you can definitely find a nice little town and enjoy nature and a slower pace of life.
i am seriously considering it...my husband is too.

I am going to start looking for jobs...thanks for the input...i hope to be there soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: NW Lower Michigan=Heaven!
3,839 posts, read 4,690,754 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i am seriously considering it...my husband is too.

I am going to start looking for jobs...thanks for the input...i hope to be there soon
Michigan is a nature lovers, and outdoorsmans paradise. The economy sucks, but if you can make it here and love to be outside during all kinds of weather..there are not many places that can beat Michigan. The farther north and west you go from Flint, the more amazing it gets. Take the bottom quarter of the state and you will find most of the bigger cities, except Saginaw and Bay city which are north of Flint, but the rest of the state is pretty much smaller towns, lakes, woods and rivers. There is so much to do if you love to be outdoors...you will go crazy, and not much heat and humity to worry about....just perfect weather most of the time right up through November. Michigans great lakes are truely amazing with crystal clear blue waters, and some of the best sandy beaches anywhere with 400' high sand dunes. There are hundreds of islands in the great lakes, some if not most are remote and amazing to explore, some have quite a few people living on them. Then there is the U.P of Michigan.....cant be described...you have to see it for yourself. There are many places in Michigan you can go that will cleanse your soul, and maybe even change you. I believe "I want Snow" said it best when she said many places you go will recharge your lifes batteries. I could go on and on but you get the idea.... Michigan is awesome!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,931 posts, read 7,777,737 times
Reputation: 2184
It sure seems that Pure Michigan, maybe working. There have been a lot of inquiries of late on these Threads about people considering a move here. For every one thing negative, there are two things positive. As long as we keep,preserve,cherish, our natural beauty, Michigan will have the upper hand. Jobs do need to go along with it, for all but the retired, I do hope that balance can be achieved sooner than later. Here in Marquette County, there is a lot of effort to improve the job quest. We are trying to strike a balance between industry and environment. Its a struggle, but its starting to work, the Mines are up and running again, this year the commerical harbor shipping is way up, building is happening in Marquette at a good pace ( commercial ), and the new Nickel mine is going forward, despite a considerable protest. Lets hope we can control the progress, and keep the U.P. as the jewel it is. I know a lot of you down staters are depending on that also......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
2,677 posts, read 2,685,497 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
hi I am so considering moving to michigan myself. My husband and I went to Flint this weekend and had a ball. We are from atlanta but we are ready to relocate. I like the low cost of living, the cool summer nights, and my sister in law loves the winters there because she lives right off the lake and its beautiful.


My husband wants to be closer to his mom because she is very sick. Do you think this will be the right move for us?

I know flint is suppose to be a bad area but there were a lot of beautiful beautiful areas surrounding flint.

any feedback would be appreciated

Flint area is tough for work. However if you do find a job, housing is very very cheap. Im not sure where your husbands mother lives, but Lansing has a little bit better economy. Housing is still reasonable there, not quite as cheap as Genesee county. In all honesty if I was moving to Michigan from another state, I would not pick Genesse county, but if your mother inlaw is there I can understand why you may need to be there. Nice areas to consider that are not too far from the Flint area would be, all of Shiawassee county, Lapeer county and southern Saginaw county. To the south of Flint is Livingston county, which is really nice but very expensive by Michigan standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
2,677 posts, read 2,685,497 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It sure seems that Pure Michigan, maybe working. There have been a lot of inquiries of late on these Threads about people considering a move here. For every one thing negative, there are two things positive. As long as we keep,preserve,cherish, our natural beauty, Michigan will have the upper hand. Jobs do need to go along with it, for all but the retired, I do hope that balance can be achieved sooner than later. Here in Marquette County, there is a lot of effort to improve the job quest. We are trying to strike a balance between industry and environment. Its a struggle, but its starting to work, the Mines are up and running again, this year the commerical harbor shipping is way up, building is happening in Marquette at a good pace ( commercial ), and the new Nickel mine is going forward, despite a considerable protest. Lets hope we can control the progress, and keep the U.P. as the jewel it is. I know a lot of you down staters are depending on that also......

Nickel mines are terribly dirty. From what I hear they ruined the city of Sudbury Ontario. I hope this nickel mine does not do the same there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 05:44 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,931 posts, read 7,777,737 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Nickel mines are terribly dirty. From what I hear they ruined the city of Sudbury Ontario. I hope this nickel mine does not do the same there.
Can be very bad. The processing will be done in Canada, that is the real bad part. They will be mining so far in the Yellow Dog Plains, a very remote and wild part of the County. I used to camp there many years ago, I would hate to see the Yellow Dog polluted.
yes , I have seen Sudbury before and after.....today, they have trees again!...it was terrible.... So far Rio Tinto is winning. The 20 mile road in is almost done to the old Humbolt crushing mill. Crushed ore will be shipped to Canada for the real nasty stuff. Nickle is a stregic metal. The U.P. has the only source in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
 
720 posts, read 927,137 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
thanks for the info...i hope i get a chance to share your state one day
i work near flint and its really starting to grow on me. great farmer's market, genuine unpretentious people, decent amount of culture and things to do, diversity, and the surrounding areas are nice. i would never actually live in flint, but plan to live near the flushing area sometime soon. there are alot of great people who live there and are keeping the city alive. there is alot of struggle as well, and that is all you will hear about when you turn on your tv or read 'the flint journal'. you will not hear about the good things, on any television for that matter, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. i'm always rooting for flint, i think it could be another ann arbor but even better. good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 AM
 
Location: NW Lower Michigan=Heaven!
3,839 posts, read 4,690,754 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
i work near flint and its really starting to grow on me. great farmer's market, genuine unpretentious people, decent amount of culture and things to do, diversity, and the surrounding areas are nice. i would never actually live in flint, but plan to live near the flushing area sometime soon. there are alot of great people who live there and are keeping the city alive. there is alot of struggle as well, and that is all you will hear about when you turn on your tv or read 'the flint journal'. you will not hear about the good things, on any television for that matter, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. i'm always rooting for flint, i think it could be another ann arbor but even better. good luck with your move!
Flint has a fantastic Farmers market. Actually, wasnt it named one of the best...or the best in the state?? I'm with you, I love flint and the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Motown
323 posts, read 664,504 times
Reputation: 173
I_Want_Snow, I'm really happy for you that things are working out. I know what it's like to be away from home and realize how much you love and miss it. Michigan is a great place. Yes, the economy is in the toilet, but being positive helps. I wish you the best of luck! And please, keep posting. We need more attitudes like yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top