Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 PM

274 posts, read 998,360 times

Advertisements

i live in kalamazoo. does anyone know any reputable and fair priced moving companies to do long distance (out of state) moves? i'm a single guy currently living in an apartment and do not have much stuff but i prefer using a moving company.

also, if you have had experiences moving, what is a good estimate or tips on price range (i cannot imagine the weight of my stuff being that heavy)? i'm expecting that the movers will box up stuff, pack it in the truck, then leave and drop it off at a specified date at the destination location. i hope the timeframe can be relatively quick once i have the place picked out.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
There is United, Allied, and a few others to choose from. If you decide to have the moving company pack up your stuff as well, thats an added charge. If you dont have that much stuff, i would consider getting the boxes yourself and packing it on your own.
Pricing ranges all across the board. Don't forget once you have it lined out, ask the rating of the driver...this will tell you how "good" of a driver you have. This also shows, how he/she did with deliveries with breakage or no breakage on customer items.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Many people find out that the moving cost can be greater than their stuff is worth.Unless you have a whole house of stuff, your Company is paying for the move , or you have some expensive collectables, art, etc. it is better to just rent a small Uhaul truck...one way... and do it your self. Get some friends to help load, buy your boxes at uhaul along with blankets, and go too it. Even cheaper is to have a garage sale, and trash the rest. Buy new at your new localation. Many times you will find what you have now,won't fit or work in your new place, and you wind up throughing it out anyway.
Travel light, get rid of the stuff you don't need,and if you have only a small amount, just rent a pull behind your car Ulaul, even cheaper than the Uhail truck. Moving Companies are very expensive, most of their business is Corporate, Military moves. Very few people ship their own stuff and pay out of pocket for the move. There are other options, like PODs, and containers, but it sounds like you don't have enough stuff to justify that alternative ether.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM

222 posts, read 811,021 times
Default Two Men and a Truck

I have used Lansing-based Two Men and a Truck several times and found them to be not only reasonable, but also very professional. Depending on the weight of your furniture and the distance you are traveling, it could be expensive though, even using a "cheap" mover.

Having said that, I agree with other posters that you should seriously consider how much your stuff is REALLY worth. If you can sell it, save the cost of moving and buy new or used stuff when you get there, you are likely to come out ahead. How attached are you really to anything beyond your clothes, some family pictures and a computer? Let's say you have $5000 worth of stuff: is it really worth it to spend $3000 to move it? Or would you be better off selling it for $2500, saving the three grand and just buying what you need when you get there?

The other thing to note about long distance movers is that, unless you have a truck full of stuff, you will be on the semi with two, three or more other people being moved. That means they will get to YOUR new location when they get there and it could be days or weeks, depending on where everyone else on the truck lives. Even the best movers will fudge that and tell you "a couple of days" even when they know better. Meanwhile, you're sitting in an empty apartment sleeping on a sleeping bag and cooking microwave dinners at the neighbor's.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,787 times
I moved from K-zoo to FL and used ABF U-pack. It was about $900. Weight don't matter, you rent by the linear foot. I had a lot off stuff but the trailer width is about 110" wide and the trailer ceiling is about 8 or 9' high so you can get alot of stuff in a short amount of linear feet if you pack it to the ceiling. They drop off the pup trailer (about 28' long), give yo a couple days to load they come pick it up and drop it off at your destination and give you a couple days to unload.

The drivers even pulled out the heavy ramps on both ends. You don't pay for any fuel, the rate your qouted is what it is. I'd suggest going down to B&G discount in Schoolcraft and getting a cheap hand truck, some boxes and do it yourself, the ramps are nice and long so it's not labor intensive to wheel stuff up into the truck. ABF costs half as much as PODS, Uhaul, or Penske plus again there are no fuel costs.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I moved from K-zoo to FL and used ABF U-pack. It was about $900. Weight don't matter, you rent by the linear foot. I had a lot off stuff but the trailer width is about 110" wide and the trailer ceiling is about 8 or 9' high so you can get alot of stuff in a short amount of linear feet if you pack it to the ceiling. They drop off the pup trailer (about 28' long), give yo a couple days to load they come pick it up and drop it off at your destination and give you a couple days to unload.

The drivers even pulled out the heavy ramps on both ends. You don't pay for any fuel, the rate your qouted is what it is. I'd suggest going down to B&G discount in Schoolcraft and getting a cheap hand truck, some boxes and do it yourself, the ramps are nice and long so it's not labor intensive to wheel stuff up into the truck. ABF costs half as much as PODS, Uhaul, or Penske plus again there are no fuel costs.
That is a good choice, if , you have enough "stuff" to justify it. Just a correction however, the pup trailer they drop off is not 110" wide. That would be illegal, as the max width is 102" outside ! 900.00 sounds very cheap, I don't see how they can make any money at that rate, but like you said ,you pay by the foot, you probly did not use much footage.That means a lot of other folks were using the same 28' trailer...what a logistics nitemare !.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
I have used Lansing-based Two Men and a Truck several times and found them to be not only reasonable, but also very professional. Depending on the weight of your furniture and the distance you are traveling, it could be expensive though, even using a "cheap" mover.

Having said that, I agree with other posters that you should seriously consider how much your stuff is REALLY worth. If you can sell it, save the cost of moving and buy new or used stuff when you get there, you are likely to come out ahead. How attached are you really to anything beyond your clothes, some family pictures and a computer? Let's say you have $5000 worth of stuff: is it really worth it to spend $3000 to move it? Or would you be better off selling it for $2500, saving the three grand and just buying what you need when you get there?

The other thing to note about long distance movers is that, unless you have a truck full of stuff, you will be on the semi with two, three or more other people being moved. That means they will get to YOUR new location when they get there and it could be days or weeks, depending on where everyone else on the truck lives. Even the best movers will fudge that and tell you "a couple of days" even when they know better. Meanwhile, you're sitting in an empty apartment sleeping on a sleeping bag and cooking microwave dinners at the neighbor's.
I used two-men and a truck for some local moving a few years ago, good local service, and reasonable. Not for long distance, I don't think that would work. They are mostly for moving large household items that you need help with in your area. Sort of like rent-A-truck, but with a driver and helper.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That is a good choice, if , you have enough "stuff" to justify it. Just a correction however, the pup trailer they drop off is not 110" wide. That would be illegal, as the max width is 102" outside ! 900.00 sounds very cheap, I don't see how they can make any money at that rate, but like you said ,you pay by the foot, you probly did not use much footage.That means a lot of other folks were using the same 28' trailer...what a logistics nitemare !.
My bad, lol, I have a CDL A and don't even know how wide a trailer is. I too wondered how they make any money, but the day cabs they are using probably are a heck of lot better on fuel than a full size tractor pulling a 53 footer. I believe they mix household freight with commercial freight and they probably whack the commercial users a hefty fee.

When my trailer arrived all my stuff was in good shape just like I packed it, I was impressed with their service.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 PM

259 posts, read 823,158 times
My sister's ex-boyfriends works for Family Relocation here in Kalamazoo/Portage. Nice company but not sure on rates. Family Relocation Agent For Wheaton World Wide Moving | Kalamazoo Relocation Movers | MI Moving Company

Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM

274 posts, read 998,360 times
thanks guys! i'm thinking of going with the ABF U-pack option as they have gotten plenty of great reviews. the quick 2-5 business day moving really was attractive.

i want to do the self packing option and loading but i'm just one guy so i might pay extra to have them pack and unload too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan