Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 PM

265 posts, read 801,425 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is this state obsessed with making noise or people here just don't care about it? I am referring to any noisy engine:

- loud trucks/cars with either faulty mufflers or "performance" exhausts
- boats/jet skies with over-the-transom exhaust or other loud engines
- motorcycles with loud exhausts
- loud airplanes
- lawn equipment
- snow mobiles

Even though I live in a less-populated part of the state, it's rare I am outside in urban areas and it's nice an quiet without hearing any engine.

There is no automotive or motorcycle inspection in Michigan and there are so many cars/trucks with faulty exhausts. On a nice day walking through small towns, the noise and roar of the cruiser bikes is overwhelming. The main street in Charlevoix or Traverse City are good examples. Ever been on a lake where power boats and jet-skies run around all day? My neighbor just fit his truck with an exhaust you can hear coming a few miles away.

I own a quiet motorcycle myself and don't understand why 90% of the cruisers need to have a loud exhaust. I understand they ride because of the lifestyle and "looking cool" and everything but do they really need to make that much noise?

I guess I am trying to find out if I am the only one who's annoyed about all the engine noise. I lived in California for a while and it was the same there. What's up with the American obsession of making noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:18 AM

449 posts, read 934,293 times
That, I can relate to. Although, there are some instances where the noise is unavoidable such as a jet ski. It does seem that some people make their vehicles loud for no good reason and I think gas powered lawn tools ought to be banned now that we have adequate battery technology. I can appreciate a performance car with a throaty exhaust but there is a limit.

Some of the worst noise pollution these days comes from obnoxious cell phones. People using those Nextel phones in public out to be shot along with anyone with a super loud hip hop song as their ring tone.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
The one thing I hate the most is motorcycle noise pollution.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:20 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,273 times
As someone who has a hearing disorder where noise is a real problem I deal with this every single day. I have two pair of custom made earplugs because loud noise is such an issue. Motorcycles are bad with that constant loud ramping up the engines by the riders. A lot of these folks like making that noise so all the rest of us can do is avoid it as much as possible. Gun fire is my worst complaint, however. People do a lot of shooting just about anywhere out of city limits. Firecrackers is another thing that is country wide not just in Michigan, but I wish people would be more considerate. Loud impact noise is dangerous to anyone.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,772 times
As far as the motorcycles go, "Loud pipes save lives." A lot of drivers never see motorcyclists, and the loud exhaust, while obnoxious, announce their presence, and make them noticeable. If you're out there with no protection other than a helmet, you want to make sure everyone else knows you're there. And it sounds cool.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
Is it just me or is this state obsessed with making noise or people here just don't care about it? I am referring to any noisy engine:

- loud trucks/cars with either faulty mufflers or "performance" exhausts
- boats/jet skies with over-the-transom exhaust or other loud engines
- motorcycles with loud exhausts
- loud airplanes
- lawn equipment
- snow mobiles

Even though I live in a less-populated part of the state, it's rare I am outside in urban areas and it's nice an quiet without hearing any engine.

There is no automotive or motorcycle inspection in Michigan and there are so many cars/trucks with faulty exhausts. On a nice day walking through small towns, the noise and roar of the cruiser bikes is overwhelming. The main street in Charlevoix or Traverse City are good examples. Ever been on a lake where power boats and jet-skies run around all day? My neighbor just fit his truck with an exhaust you can hear coming a few miles away.

I own a quiet motorcycle myself and don't understand why 90% of the cruisers need to have a loud exhaust. I understand they ride because of the lifestyle and "looking cool" and everything but do they really need to make that much noise?

I guess I am trying to find out if I am the only one who's annoyed about all the engine noise. I lived in California for a while and it was the same there. What's up with the American obsession of making noise?
Wulf, I live in the downtown area here in BC. Gotta tell ya, I've never heard a noisier town during the hours of the day and early evening. There is this one kid that drives by without a muffler and it echoes off everything downtown. And the harleys....we wont go there.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwerner View Post
As far as the motorcycles go, "Loud pipes save lives." A lot of drivers never see motorcyclists, and the loud exhaust, while obnoxious, announce their presence, and make them noticeable. If you're out there with no protection other than a helmet, you want to make sure everyone else knows you're there. And it sounds cool.
If they cared about being seen, they would wear highly visible clothing like this.

I have one and you can see me coming from a mile away. Most bikers wear black (including helmet) which makes you nearly invisible. Most don't even wear protective clothing, ride in jeans and t-shirt and have a 1/2 helmet. How's that for not having a brain.

"Loud pipes save lives"... And no, it doesn't sound cool.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,273 times
These folks riding around making this "cool noise" will be lucky if they don't come up with hearing damage by age 50.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM

358 posts, read 1,063,051 times
Last year I drove up to northern Quebec, to James Bay. The silence there is unnerving. All you can hear is the wind in the trees. You would think it would be peaceful, but the first few days at least, I kept waiting for something to happen, but no noise, no movement, no action. Just wind in the trees.

Please humor me as I post some pics from that trip. It is not Michigan, but it is definitely a place where you can get as much quiet as you want.

Baie-James travel guide - Wikitravel
Attached Thumbnails
Can't stand the noise anymore!-dscf6465.jpg   Can't stand the noise anymore!-dscf6753.jpg   Can't stand the noise anymore!-dscf6874.jpg   Can't stand the noise anymore!-dscf6876.jpg   Can't stand the noise anymore!-dscf6945.jpg  

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Last year I drove up to northern Quebec, to James Bay. The silence there is unnerving. All you can hear is the wind in the trees. You would think it would be peaceful, but the first few days at least, I kept waiting for something to happen, but no noise, no movement, no action. Just wind in the trees.
I have been thinking about riding/driving to Radisson for a few years now... Perhaps I may want to stay there.
James Bay Road - Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan