U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM

79 posts, read 353,691 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm taking the family to Traverse City this summer for a week. Is there any good fishing up there? I'm not much of a fisherman, but I definitely want to get away from Metro Detroit for a while. Anyway, just give me ideas about what to do up there. Anything fun and family oriented. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,565,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
Hi all, I'm taking the family to Traverse City this summer for a week. Is there any good fishing up there? I'm not much of a fisherman, but I definitely want to get away from Metro Detroit for a while. Anyway, just give me ideas about what to do up there. Anything fun and family oriented. Thanks!

Yes, indeed, the entire area West of Traverse City over to Empire and Sleeping Bear Dunes is incredible. Pick up a copy of Traverse Magazine at your local Meijer store, which has a lot of neat trip ideas and sight-seeing.

TRAVERSE, Northern Michigan's Magazine

Here's an online version of Destination Northern Michigan - Leelanau Peninsula:

Destination Northern Michigan - Leelanau 2007 (http://www.destinationnorthernmichigan-digital.com/destinationnorthernmichigan/leelanau2007/ - broken link)

Take the tour from Sleeping Bear Dunes, Empire, up through Glen Arbor, Northport, Sutton's Bay and back to TC and you won't regret it. Simply some of the most beautiful areas on the planet (and I've traveled a lot), with private beaches you can hike to and dunes to climb.

The Official Website of the Sleeping Bear Dunes Visitors Bureau

I do however recommend avoiding the Cherry Festival (hope no TC people read this). The city is too small for such a mammoth festival, and it is total gridlock and hard to enjoy, IMO.

Hope that helps virgokid, and any other newcomers to Michigan that haven't experienced the amazing Traverse City area.

Last edited by magellan; 06-20-2007 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 AM

834 posts, read 4,654,878 times
Default family friendly TC

You and your family will love the TC area. There are two or more family-friendly miniature golf courses (one with a pirate/ship wreck theme). You can rent pontoon boats and float around Grand Traverse Bay. The rentals are located adjacent to the Holiday Inn on Front Street. The Holiday Inn also rents an awesome water trampoline that is located out in the bay about 300 feet from the hotel (I think you rent this through the boat rental place). There is also para-sailing on the bay.
Traverse City also has a wonderful bike path that stretches for miles and miles. You can rent bikes and do this. We did this last year and had a blast. You go through the downtown area (we stopped for pizza along the way), go past the beautiful bay, and through the woods. They even have a clean outhouse located about 10 miles from the starting point. You'll pass by beautiful babbling brooks, go over little bridges, etc. Very calming and nice. Wish I could remember the bike rental company name (we found it in the yellow pages).
You can pick blueberries on the peninsula. Also, I've heard the Grand Traverse Pie Co. has wonderful pies.
Strolling along downtown is nice, too. There is also public swimming on the bay everywhere you look, it seems.
Have fun!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 7,096,885 times
Be sure to visit all the vineyards/chateaus on/along the pennisula that sticks out in Grand Traverse Bay. It is called Old Mission Pennisula. There is a old-timey store as legend has it being haunted. There is an old light house on the tip too!

Be sure to visit Cherry Republic. It is the place for you if you like food, pop, ice-cream and everything imaginable with cherry in it somehow.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:32 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,606,085 times
I actually work at the TC CVB and we can send you an area guide if you'd like. 1-800-872-8377. If you call, ask to be sent fishing info as well.

When are you coming? Have you already got your lodging lined up?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM

13 posts, read 40,536 times
Enjoy your trip. I too recommend either bringing bikes or renting at Bricks or McClains. The Tart trail runs along the bay and the Leelanau trail runs toward Suttons Bay but is not paved the whole way. Beautiful though. Fishing is good out toward Arbutus Lakes and there are places to rent rowboats. Be sure to go out to Moomers to get icecream, out Long Lake Road, they even have their own dairy. Downtown is fun, good places to eat but some a little pricey. Hannahs and LaAmical are good for a fancy night out. Cherry FEstival is crazy but tons of free things to do for the whole family. Check out the concerts available at Interlochen for a wonderful northwoods experience. Hearing a loon in the middle of a concert is such a treat. The sun sets behind the stage, you can see fishermen in boats, a very special time.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 18,547 times
Smile Two Days in Traverse City

I'm going to TC for two days next weekend. There are so many things to do that I'm a bit overwhelmed. We are renting a sail boat one day. What should I do the second day?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM

79 posts, read 353,691 times
Apologize for the late reply, but thank you everyone that answered. Sounds like the western part of the state is really nice. I often look at the map of our state, but wish I had more time to travel through it, including the rarely spoken-of U.P. I know it's extremely snowy up there in the winter, but from photos I've seen in the summer, it truly is amazing. People that hate michigan, listen up: there's much more to the state than doom and gloom. Please also find the positives in it. Beautiful scenery sure is one of them.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 AM

Smile Traverse City

Just wanted to follow up on my two day trip to Traverse City. We stayed at the Sugar Beach Villas which were GORGEOUS. Three bedroom, three baths with laundry and a gourmet kitchen. We shopped at Bayside Market which is just down the street and cooked in every meal but one. I bought fish there that I was a little nervous about because it came frozen in vacuum sealed bags but it was awesome. I just bought two of every fish because we had a big group and it was all excellent. We rented a sail boat from Marine East the first day. They were very professional and the boat was top notch. On the second day, we hung out on the beach. There are trampolines in the water in front of the Grand Beach hotel (next door) and my husband and I paid $10 each to jump on them. (It's $10 for the whole day.) It was really fun until my husband got sea sick! There is a stand in front of the hotel where you can rent jet skis or the trampoline. The water is really cold but you actually get used to it really quick and I'm usually a big baby about things like that. We played putt-putt across the streat at Pirate Cove the last night. We played the basic course because we had a five year old with us but it was challenging enough for the adults. Pirate Cove also has a water slide, go-carts and bumper carts. Next year we are definitely going to that place earlier to take advantage of everything! We all had a great time and we had a group ranging in age from 4 to 73. Can't wait to go back!!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Error: we rented the sail boat from Bayview Yacht Charters. They gave us bags from West Marine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan