Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,743 times

Advertisements

just curious, what are your thoughts on this ? do you see this as good/bad/other ??

what would you like to see our state government do about this ? secession ??

if you're in need of more info, PLEASE do your own research. this is what i've found:

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/nationalidsystem.html (broken link)
EPIC - National ID and REAL ID Act
National ID cards on the way? | CNET News.com
National ID Cards: New Technologies, Same Bad Idea - TechKnowledge Newsletter

Last edited by dik909; 06-20-2007 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dik909 View Post
just curious, what are your thoughts on this ? do you see this as good/bad/other ??

what would you like to see our state government do about this ? secession ??

if you're in need of more info, PLEASE do your own research. this is what i've found:

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/nationalidsystem.html (broken link)
EPIC - National ID and REAL ID Act
National ID cards on the way? | CNET News.com
National ID Cards: New Technologies, Same Bad Idea - TechKnowledge Newsletter
The idea makes me nervous. It feels very Big Brother-ish. I see the potential positives, but the potential for abuse seems too great, IMO.

Secession? All I know is that I currently have no health insurance, and I would if I lived there (Canada). Let's go!

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-21-2007 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM

136 posts, read 621,087 times
The very thought of a national "REAL I.D." card has my blood pressure up. The potential for abuse of information, given what I've read from the sites you provide, is scary. Just plain scary. I'm glad to see a number of States have already passed legislation against such a Pandora's Box of even greater Big Brother infringement on our lives.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,731 times
My only experience with it was completelly disgusting. I used to live in Detroit area for 9 years. Then I was transferred to my company's Virginia office and until spring of 2006 I lived and worked near DC area.
In 2006 I was transferred back to Detroit office with promotion. When I needed to get my Michigan Driver's License again.
What I have discovered that I need 3 separate IDs to get it.
Now, more news: not all of the types of IDs that are listed on the SOS site are actually accepted in the SOS offices.
Even as I had non-expired out-of-state Driver's License, I was told that it is not accepted as one of IDs. I was lucky to have enough experience with bureaucracy so it happen that I have brought all documents that I had. I submitted all of them to the clerk. The clerk even did not want to look at the documents that I have brought, just kept telling me that I had to return back. Only after my very insistance she started to review these documents. And the next things that she did not like that some IDs had my full middle name (like social security card), some IDs had my middle initilal only, and some IDs (like passport, yes, I was lucky to have one!) did not have any initial. It is not my problem that every government agency has it's own rules as of middle name, but it kinda funny.
Clerk also aked if I still have my old Michigan Driver License to be present as ID. Well, other states require that your previous state of residence Driver License would be surrendered before you get current state Driver License.
Anyway, I had enough documents, but I had to produce everything, including my birth and marriage certificates.
I just curious if other folks, who happen do not have marriage cretificate and passport, would succeed in getting Michigan Driver License.

The whole experience left me wondering which road the democracy in Michigan is going to. Also, after hearing regarding current gov shortage of the funds for the schools, I am inclined to think that implementation of this "REAL I.D." was one of these useless drains where these funds had been spent.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v117a View Post
My only experience with it was completelly disgusting. I used to live in Detroit area for 9 years. Then I was transferred to my company's Virginia office and until spring of 2006 I lived and worked near DC area.
In 2006 I was transferred back to Detroit office with promotion. When I needed to get my Michigan Driver's License again.
What I have discovered that I need 3 separate IDs to get it.
Now, more news: not all of the types of IDs that are listed on the SOS site are actually accepted in the SOS offices.
Even as I had non-expired out-of-state Driver's License, I was told that it is not accepted as one of IDs. I was lucky to have enough experience with bureaucracy so it happen that I have brought all documents that I had. I submitted all of them to the clerk. The clerk even did not want to look at the documents that I have brought, just kept telling me that I had to return back. Only after my very insistance she started to review these documents. And the next things that she did not like that some IDs had my full middle name (like social security card), some IDs had my middle initilal only, and some IDs (like passport, yes, I was lucky to have one!) did not have any initial. It is not my problem that every government agency has it's own rules as of middle name, but it kinda funny.
Clerk also aked if I still have my old Michigan Driver License to be present as ID. Well, other states require that your previous state of residence Driver License would be surrendered before you get current state Driver License.
Anyway, I had enough documents, but I had to produce everything, including my birth and marriage certificates.
I just curious if other folks, who happen do not have marriage cretificate and passport, would succeed in getting Michigan Driver License.

The whole experience left me wondering which road the democracy in Michigan is going to. Also, after hearing regarding current gov shortage of the funds for the schools, I am inclined to think that implementation of this "REAL I.D." was one of these useless drains where these funds had been spent.
OMG this is sooooooooooo true!!!!! We just moved here last year from SoCal and it took me months to get the proper info together to get my license. My wife still doesn't have hers! We truly couldn't believe bureaucracy.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
I didn't have major problems with IDs, but the wait was terrible at the DMV - something like 3 hours. I believe I showed my passport, out-of-state driver's license, and pay stub with my home address. Despite the fact that the pay stub was unopened and came from a major university in the region, the DMV employee almost rejected it before checking with her boss. I did have my closing documents with me in case, but it never came to that. I went to the location at 13 Mile and Woodward.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,346 times
I dont see a problem with a Universal ID..yeah its a hassle, but other than that,, i dont understand why people are worried,, it may make things easier by making border crossings quicker,, for those with the id's that is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: