Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 AM

760 posts, read 2,439,924 times

Advertisements

I've read of some people planning on taking a week long trip to the U.P. and it made me curious what would be the ultimate trip you would outline for them?

Assuming they are leaving very early Saturday morning and have to be back home the following Sunday night and are driving from the lower LP.

I would recommend they head to the Porcupine Mountains State Park. Spend Sat/Sun/Mon there. Pack up camp and head up to Copper Harbor early Tuesday morning and spend the day there. Arrive at their campsite near Michigamme late Tuesday evening. Camp at Van Riper if they want amenities, stay at Craig Lake State park if they are rustic campers. Spend Wednesday hiking Craig Lake State Park and the McCormick Tract Wilderness. Head east on Thursday morning stopping in Marquette for a few hours...... ending up at Grand Marais Thursday night. Spend Friday there exploring that area. Saturday morning head east to Tahquamenon Falls State Park (a relatively short drive) and exploring the Falls and Whitefish Point lighthouse Saturday afternoon/evening. Packing up Sunday morning and heading on home.

What would you recommend?
(of course I would recommend they extend the vacation another few days.... but in the interest of only having a week and this being a once in a lifetime camping trip... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,102,300 times
Go to the middle of nowhere. Build a cabin, wrestle grizzly bears, live off the land in peace forever!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 AM

760 posts, read 2,439,924 times
LOL!! Ummmm....... good luck finding grizzly bears in the U.P.!! Perhaps you should go to Alaska?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,895,539 times
Man...we are staying at Union Bay Campground for a week, and I cant imagine even seeing enough of the Porks to get my fill in only a week let alone seeing a ton of other things! The main reason we are going, is to explore the Porcupine Mtn. area, but we really need to go to Copper Harbor also. The only bad thing is, we are going like 500 miles one way pulling a 32' RV and wont have enough money to see all we want. Most is going for gas, and if we go to Copper Harbor, its another 200 mile round trip. The ultimate camping trip for me would be to see the Porkies, Copper Harbor, then drive East...maybe make another stop to camp...then continue to the Tahquamenon Falls area and stay a few nights, and explore that area. Hopefully we can do more...maybe even wrestle that elusive grizzly!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,476 times
If taking my wife, we would do a tour of the remote, rustic state campgrounds and seeing all the natural sites that set the UP apart from all other places on the planet.

If by myself, grab the backpack and plan on completing the High Country Trail near to and intersected by the Pigeon River Pathway. I have done two segments of this trail and highly recommend it to anyone that loves to backpack, get alone in very remote areas and live with the wildlife. It's a great getaway.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,102,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
LOL!! Ummmm....... good luck finding grizzly bears in the U.P.!! Perhaps you should go to Alaska?
It was a joke.

...and I wasn't all there.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,930,551 times
You folks all have got it about right. ( our bears are small) Whatever you do up here, in the land of Hiawatha will be memorable, I guarantee it ! Everyone has their priorities, some like to hike, some like to take tours,boat rides, and just hang. We all develop our favorite spots...sometimes they are , or will become very private. Here's hoping you all come and find that place...it may take a few visits to get it right....the way It should be.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,930,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Man...we are staying at Union Bay Campground for a week, and I cant imagine even seeing enough of the Porks to get my fill in only a week let alone seeing a ton of other things! The main reason we are going, is to explore the Porcupine Mtn. area, but we really need to go to Copper Harbor also. The only bad thing is, we are going like 500 miles one way pulling a 32' RV and wont have enough money to see all we want. Most is going for gas, and if we go to Copper Harbor, its another 200 mile round trip. The ultimate camping trip for me would be to see the Porkies, Copper Harbor, then drive East...maybe make another stop to camp...then continue to the Tahquamenon Falls area and stay a few nights, and explore that area. Hopefully we can do more...maybe even wrestle that elusive grizzly!
The Porkies are all about hiking...this time of year. You can, if you are avid hikers ( we are not ), fill all your days there in the woods. You will be missing out on a lot however. There is a campgound in Copper Harbor east of town, now that I know you are not really " camping".... actually, the Huron Mtns. here in Marquette County are just as grand as the Porkies. I have my " special place" on the shore west of the Huron Mtn. Club...but I am not telling..lol.... Big Bay is the starting point...should you decide to see our backyard...another year.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,895,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Porkies are all about hiking...this time of year. You can, if you are avid hikers ( we are not ), fill all your days there in the woods. You will be missing out on a lot however. There is a campgound in Copper Harbor east of town, now that I know you are not really " camping".... actually, the Huron Mtns. here in Marquette County are just as grand as the Porkies. I have my " special place" on the shore west of the Huron Mtn. Club...but I am not telling..lol.... Big Bay is the starting point...should you decide to see our backyard...another year.
Well, we love the U.P and are gonna try to go someplace new every year. Thats one of the reasons we need to move north....just a little too far to go twice or more a year right now.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,074,520 times
Great suggestions all!

Personally, I'd take 2 weeks and do Isle Royale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan