Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 PM

24 posts, read 79,519 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has any sources on the history of Lake County, MI Organized Crime and related topics. Any information shared is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 04:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Try this for a short history of Lake County. Lake County, Michigan - InfoMI.com

It might be a bit difficult to find anything about the Mob in Lake County. It is a very rural county, with small towns, not a real big draw for Organized Crime. I did hear a rumor growing up that Capone had a house there, but nothing more. I grew up in Mason County, just to the West of lake County. Good luck on your search though!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Thank you so much for your input! I was at a work related conference recently in Manistee and one of the main speakers was hinting on crime in the local community and mentioned ever since Capone there has been organized crime in Lake County. Maybe it's well hidden by the locals..

Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Take a drive through Lake county, if there is Organized Crime there; they are pretty dis-organized. I wouldn't doubt that some of the higher ups in Crime make a Summer home there, it is beautiful country. I do know that a couple used to Summer in the Gaylord area, because we did work at their houses. Nuff said! I woouldn't douobt that a lot of the West Michigan counties play host to some bosses during the Summer. Short drive from Chicago, and Detroit and nice laid-back towns.

Good Luck, and let us know what you find.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Good call. All of what you said makes sense and I will do as you requested.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,586 times
I'm exploring the same topic. The only information that I've come across is a small bar in Woodland Park (Woody's) south of Baldwin was started by a guy named Woody from Muskegon who alledgely had ties to the Chicago mob. Lake County does have Idlewild, a black resort community that's seen better days. Driving through it sort of reminds one of a rural version of some of Detroits decimated neighborhoods. The county does have a high crime rate. Not sure if its organized. My best guess is that some organized crime figures (not necessarily mafia) may hide (lay low so to speak) in the area.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Actually Idlewild is trying hard to revitalize itself and is doing a fine job of it for the short time they have had an organized effort. Idlewild African American Chamber of Commerce is a nice place on the web to check into the activities of the area. I think it is very nice that the town is trying to clean up itself and return to a better time for itself.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,451 times
Post Known Active Organized Crime Figures Names in MI

I have a bit of a fascination with organized crime and those within it. They are my favorite movies and documentaries, lol. So thought I would ask, are there any famous/infamous/known organized crime figures within our State, and if so, who are they and where are they primarily located? Don't know why I've never thought to focus on my own State before, lol.

Thanks for any information. Sounds like there are a few of you here that are rather knowledgeable on the subject.

Ron

Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,276 times
A number of years ago I heard a rumor that someone had robbed the locak bank in Baldwin, Lake County. I immediately thought that someone had gotton a little gumption, going after the big money. I later found out that it wasn't the bank, it was the bakery...more like the level of crime in the area. I would say that the area probably has a fairly high crime rate. Poverty is endemic. The average household income is about 35% of the state average. But organized crime, no. I grew up in Lake County and never heard a story about Capone or any other mob figures being resident. Probably just a story to entertain tourists.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 14,325 times
There used to be quite a bit of organized crime in the Detroit Area. The Purple gang was a gang of Jews that did alot of damage. Also the Bonano family was big. I'm actaully friends with some of the younger generation Bonano's.. whose father was murdered as a warning to the old man. As well as the giacalone's, tocco's. If your looking for some more info, pick up the book "Motor City Mafia: A Century of Organized Crime in Detroit" You'll learn a ton of stuff. And dont forget about Hoffa who wasn't in the Mob but sure was involved in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan