Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM

24 posts, read 53,663 times

Advertisements

i pretty much made up my mind in where to move and ...well ya its michigan i have been looking at houses it serveral towns as im doing my process of elimination so i pretty much have the list of towns that i am interested in now my next step before i look for jobs is to look at the crime rate. where would i be able to find some kind of report maybe for different towns or the whole state? i dont want any ghetto or bad city/town,so if i have one listed please dont sugar coat it just tell me cause i know nothing of michigan.

i can post the towns that i am looking at and maybe based on that you can provide me personal info etc.

Michigan cities/towns:

wyoming
North Branch
Temperance
grand rapids
Hamtramck
Engadine
Kalamazoo
Lake City
Beaverton
Cassopolis
Sturgis..
Eastpointe
Romulus
Bessemer
Jackson
Erie
Osseo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM

183 posts, read 465,928 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Table 4 - Illinois-Missouri

I'm pretty sure there are other sites but those two should get you started.

I lived in Eastpointe for about 6 years and never had any problems. A lot of working class people from Detroit are moving into that area so it is pretty diverse. However, if you are African American the police do use racial profiling. I'm an African American female and was pulled over for no reason and was told I needed to be careful driving in that area, WTF! I was living in Eastpointe at that time, lol!! Why did I need to be careful driving in a city I live in it made absolutely no sense to me. The city is currently in the news for some hate letters that was sent to a dozen homes occupied by blacks. You can read the story on fox2detroit.com but other than that I think it's an ok city to live in.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
I think you need to narrow down your options for what you really want in a new city. You have a HUGE range in towns in your list. Grand Rapids to Lake City is night and day. Are you looking for larger city life and amenities? Or are you looking for the small town life? It is kind of hard to take a list like you have seriously because of the wide range of differing town/city types. It almost appears like you pulled a bunch of names out of a hat with little regard to where or what they represented.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 AM

no what i have been doing is fisrt i look for houses and the price range etc. and from that what i do is write them down. so so far from my list there all places that i liked the houses due to price.im really want a smaller city or town but this day in age one cant be to picky.i just wanted to know the crime rate in the cities and then us that info no eliminate more from the list until i only have a few. its not easy deciding where to live.
and thanks browneyes for that info i will take a look at it im sure it will help. im puerto rican but i look african american are any of the towns i listed not really keen to the darker skinned people?as in maybe more racial towards them etc. no disrespect meant an any way

Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM

183 posts, read 465,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrito211 View Post
no what i have been doing is fisrt i look for houses and the price range etc. and from that what i do is write them down. so so far from my list there all places that i liked the houses due to price.im really want a smaller city or town but this day in age one cant be to picky.i just wanted to know the crime rate in the cities and then us that info no eliminate more from the list until i only have a few. its not easy deciding where to live.
and thanks browneyes for that info i will take a look at it im sure it will help. im puerto rican but i look african american are any of the towns i listed not really keen to the darker skinned people?as in maybe more racial towards them etc. no disrespect meant an any way
I really can't answer that question. I lived in Ypsilanti which is near Romulus in 1999 but I can't tell you what the people are like. My sister graduated from Western Michigan in Kalamazoo and never had any problems. I believe Kalamazoo is pretty diverse but I can't tell you for sure since I only visited the city twice.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,257,115 times
We lived in Temperance for 12 years, and it borders Erie, so I can fill you in on those towns. Temperance, along with another town called Lambertville, are blended together into one bigger community that just goes by the name Bedford Township. The schools are called Bedford Public Schools, there is a Bedford Township hall, etc. Temperance in and of itself has no distinct governing body and very little identity other than being a componant of Bedford Twp. It is directly over the border from Toledo, OH and is actually considered a bedroom suburb of Toledo. People in Bedford go to Toledo for their shopping, entertainment, etc. because there is very little shopping/dining available in Bedford, just a scattering of fast food restaurants and a few Mom and Pop type places and a few grocery stores and drugstores. You can't even buy shoes or clothing in Bedford, and it has around 30,000 people, because it is so close to the shopping venues in Toledo. Bedford is predominately white, I can't say what percentage, but probably at least 80-90%, with the balance being made up mostly of Hispanics and a few black families. Basically, Bedford is a whole bunch of subdivisions that all sort of run together and then some more rural areas and farms in the northern part of the township. If you like the idea of living in a subdivision, Bedford is for you, because there are dozens to choose from. We actually lived in the extreme northern end of the township and didn't live in a subdivision, but all of our friends did.

Erie is even more rural than Bedford, with the township being made up almost entirely of farms with the small village of Erie sitting in the middle of it. It is probably at least 90% white, and the people either work in Toledo or work on their farms.

Crime in Bedford is minimal and confined mainly to property crimes, as in, someone gets a bike stolen out of their garage. Once in a while there are break-ins in some of the subdivisions or more isolated homes in the more rural part of the township, but they will go years without something really serious like a murder, and then it is almost always a domestic situation where the victim was related to the perpetrator. Crime in Erie is even lower than in Bedford, except for a couple of mobile home communities near the state line that attract a bad element. Again, mostly property crimes. Bedford grew exponentially in the '80s and '90s, so it doesn't have much of a small town feel, but Erie is still one of those places where everybody knows everybody, which also helps to keep the crime rate down.

Good luck on your move. I hope you find a place that is perfect for you and a job to match.

ETA: I really can't tell you how you would be treated as a non-white in Bedford or Erie, because I have never been in that situation, but I like to think that you would be accepted based on who you are, not the color of your skin. We have had white neighbors, black neighbors, Asian neighbors, Middle Eastern neighbors, and we currently live across the street from someone from Nicaragua. I couldn't care less what a person looks like, as long as they keep their place nice and respect others. Hopefully you will find this to be the prevailing attitude wherever you end up.

Last edited by canudigit; 07-10-2010 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 04:15 PM

thanks canudigit that was pretty good info i didnt know that. and it never really hit me that the small towns where everybody knows everybody helps keep the crime rate down.i never thought of it like that. to me so far from the research that i have dont over all michigan seems pretty low in crime well besides detroit and other big cities which is normal.but compared to where we live in tucson az close to the boarder it use to be so peaceful and nice and now its like LA. i dont want anything fancy etc just a decent town and a small job to pay the bills an easy simple life which is rare nowadays.from what you guys might have heard or read or anything are any of the cities/towns that i listen not recommendable?

wyoming
North Branch
Temperance
grand rapids
Hamtramck
Engadine
Kalamazoo
Lake City
Beaverton
Cassopolis
Sturgis..
Eastpointe
Romulus
Bessemer
Jackson
Erie
Osseo

Old 07-10-2010, 05:59 PM

809 posts, read 1,941,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrito211 View Post
thanks canudigit that was pretty good info i didnt know that. and it never really hit me that the small towns where everybody knows everybody helps keep the crime rate down.i never thought of it like that. to me so far from the research that i have dont over all michigan seems pretty low in crime well besides detroit and other big cities which is normal.but compared to where we live in tucson az close to the boarder it use to be so peaceful and nice and now its like LA. i dont want anything fancy etc just a decent town and a small job to pay the bills an easy simple life which is rare nowadays.from what you guys might have heard or read or anything are any of the cities/towns that i listen not recommendable?

wyoming
North Branch
Temperance
grand rapids
Hamtramck
Engadine
Kalamazoo
Lake City
Beaverton
Cassopolis
Sturgis..
Eastpointe
Romulus
Bessemer
Jackson
Erie
Osseo
There really are no jobs in Engadine because basically there isnt much there. If you want to live in that general area you will need to drive a great distance.....look on the map and you'll see what I mean. Lake City you might find something but it will be a minimum wage job or not much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan