Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,437 times

Advertisements

I'm going to commute between Michigan and St.Louis for the next 2 years....
Okemos High School or East Lansing High School....I did have the opportunity to drive around last summer..I think I like the Okemos area better than the others I'd been to.
My youngest son is going to complete his last 2 years of High School there,
(his brother is at MSU....How did I get talked into this?).
Help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 98,700 times
I was told Okemos Schools are far better than Lansing Schools. Check out the Okemos Public Schools website.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
I think I can give a good perspective here on this. I grew up in East Lansing and graduated from East Lansing High School. First of all, both school districts are much better than any of the Lansing school districts. As far as one vs. the other Okemos is a little bit better than E.L., but not by much and they are both 2 of the top districts in the state. Don't know what's important to you...but that being said, here's a rundown...
East Lansing is more diverse, and MSU has a big influence. Also more of a powerhouse in sports.
I would say for the most part though, both districts are pretty split between the have's/have not's. Real cliquish, but I think your kids could do well in either. E.L. for example is basically broken down into a few areas, there's Whitehills, Whitehills Lakes, the "poor area" across from Whitehills, downtown/campus area, and the rest of E.L. Generally speaking if your from one of the Whitehills you fit in fine, one of the other areas it'll depend on your kids, downtown/campus area it's about 50/50, the "poor area" they are going to be "outcast" unless they are good in sports or something. Okemos is pretty much the same, but different. You will find more extreme because there are poorer and richer areas in E.L. than Okemos. This along with the fact that MSU is there, means as far as getting in trouble, drinking, drugs, etc. is more prevelant in E.L.
I have to say though growing up in E.L. was an experience I would never trade. You're pretty much within walking distance of the MSU campus and downtown from any of the older/core areas of E.L., now that's a couple mile radius, but being 15yrs old and being able to walk to a MSU football game with your friends that is great! Or being able to walk downtown w/friends on a weekend and spend the day going to all the shops, restaurants, walking around campus, etc. when your a teenager is awesome. But at the same time it can also be bad, i.e. sneaking out and going downtown, going to keg parties near campus and getting plastered and your only a sophmore in high school, etc. So it's a mixed bag.

As a kid I would take E.L. anyday over Okemos. As a grown up parent now, if I had any worries my kids might stray/get in trouble given enough outside influence...I think Okemos might be a better choice. For example at both schools they have their normal problems every now and then gangs from Lansing appear, or some kid transfers from some school in Lansing and brings the trouble that follows from the 'hood' in Lansing, and things like that you see much more often in E.L. than Okemos. But still realistically unless your kids are getting involved in it, it won't affect them. Both are still very safe, good schools.

I would also consider perhaps Haslett. That area is kinda like a best of both worlds between E.L. & Okemos.
Okemos more suburban environment, E.L. more urban.
If you can't afford a lot as far as housing, I would look into some of the smaller country areas around there...Potterville, Portland, St. Johns, Williamston, Grand Ledge, etc.

As far as Lansing, really the only good school district would be Waverly, and that's like a bad version of E.L.

But you can't go wrong whether Okemos or E.L.
You will love the area! E.L. is a great city! And Okemos is a great suburb!

Old 08-12-2006, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 21,437 times
Thank You Sooooo much, Talk about helpful information.I think I'm going to stick with Okemos, They were my 1st choice.
He wants to play Basketball and Baseball also and I've spoken with some people at MSU and I know alot of their kids also attend Okemos.
My youngest son don't need any distractions and with his brother playing football at MSU I'm sure he will also appreciate no distractionsas well.
Thanks Againg for the Breakdown I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Glad I could help. Trust me you are going to love the area. Okemos is probably the better choice w/raising kids.
Some realtors I would suggest, Briarwood, Whitehills, Tomie Raines.
Some neighborhoods, Inidian Hills, Tacoma Hills, Briarwood, Spring Lake.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:32 AM

3 posts, read 15,525 times
No to East Lansing and Okemos. A BIG YES TO HASLETT!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,757 times
Man dem schools only let whit ppl in them or yu gotta act white or have money an i think thats wrong i live in da hood but i want to learn like the kids at holt or haslet or okemos be fair it feb black history month ppl my prez iz black

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM FROM DA HOOD View Post
Man dem schools only let whit ppl in them or yu gotta act white or have money an i think thats wrong i live in da hood but i want to learn like the kids at holt or haslet or okemos be fair it feb black history month ppl my prez iz black
Stay in the hood please.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,708 times
Default Fine Arts programs and AP courses

I grew up in the area and went to Okemos High School. Both are incredible school districts that rank very high amongst the nation's schools. The student population is very diverse in both schools. Academically, Okemos offers more AP courses, and there's a slightly higher number of students who take AP courses than in East Lansing. I might be a little out of the loop now to tell you about the sports, but I think boys and girls tennis are consistently strong in Okemos. I don't know enough about sports in East Lansing to tell you about that. Okemos is also well known for its excellent music program, and tends to draw families to the school district specifically because of the strong music program. I've heard of families choosing Okemos over other school districts because they want to join the orchestra, choir, or band program.

Both are excellent schools so you can't go wrong with either one. I had an excellent education at Okemos High School and a wonderful time during my high school years there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan