Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,837 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need help in deciding on a place, we are moving to Wixom by september end and wanted to make some plans before hand. I have some questions like - How is the neighbourhood? How are school districts around? Is wallad lake consolidated sd good? I appreciate any info. shared. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Near Wixom you have New HUdson, Walled Lake, Novi, South Lyon. Northville is reasonably close. Milford is not too far away. Farmington Hills is fairly close.

You can get data on school districts online, but the ranking will vary depending on what they consider and how they value each element.

Northville is probably the nicest of these places and has the best schools. It is also the most expensive.

Novi has unquestionably great schools. Novi is just subdivisions and malls. Not much of a town.

South Lyon has great schools as well. South Lyon has an ok downtown. It was a quaint small town but it got bastardized by "modernization" THat emans that there are cruddy buildings like your typical Sav-on style scattered in amongst the nice quaing olf fashioned parts of downtown. Still it is neater than many towns. (I am partial to it, I grew up there). I think that right now, South Lyon East is a little better than the high school in town.

Walled Lake Schools are also really good schools. Walled lake has some really nice parts. Not much of a town, but a little bit. Walled Lake gets a lot of traffic because a freeway just kind of ends there. It also has a lake (with a wall in it - but you rarely see the wall).

Milford and Farmington Hills both have good schools. Not as good as the other places, but still very respectable and should be good enough if you have good students in your family. Milford is a really neat little town. You will get some traffic because there is really only one main road into and through town. Milford has Kensington Metropark just outside the town (look up Kensington online - great place). The Huron river runs through Milford. It also houses the General Motors Proving Grounds.

New Hudson is a villiage in Lyon Township that borders on Wixom. New Hudson is in South Lyon School district. It is a tiny place and not much is there. There is a wall mart complex by the freeway, a few small businesses along Grand River some churches and some homes. New Hudson is also quite close to Kensington Metropark. New Hudson has a really great Methodist Church. Grand River is a very busy road. Milford road gets quite busy too. However if you are off of those two roads, it is pretty quiet. New Hudson also has a really neat little park built on a very tall pile of garbage. The trash is all covered up with tons of dirt and you would never know that it is there. Lots of kite fliers collect there in nice weather.

If Wixom has their own schools, I am not aware of it and never encoutered Wixom schools. I think that most of Wixom is in the Novi school district.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,837 times
Thank you so much for the info. It was very helpful. I will check out novi, farmington hillsa nd new hudson for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan