Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 AM

45 posts, read 95,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
We looked at both the Soo and Marquette for several years before moving from Jacksonville to Traverse City. We are retired with no interest in working.
Another beautiful area of the state. I know many people who look at the trade-offs between the two areas for not only retirement but making a living. Northwest lower has a really nice climate, well moderated by Lake Michigan, and just as many outdoor opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfinn View Post
Another beautiful area of the state. I know many people who look at the trade-offs between the two areas for not only retirement but making a living. Northwest lower has a really nice climate, well moderated by Lake Michigan, and just as many outdoor opportunities.
And , thats a good thing. If everyone wanted to move to Marquette , it sure would get crowded, quickly !..... I think maybe a lot more depends on having a job up here. Marquette is not cheap place to live, and it does take a little dertimination to move all the way up here. Things are changing now that the retirement folks have found it, as we have never been a tourist destination. I see that as a good thing, not a false economy like places in the AZ. desert with all the problems that go along with the lack in infrastructure.
Marquette is making it one day at a time, doing things right, mostly with middle class folks who come here to work in the Educational/medical/ and Mining trades. Many transfers/ many have stayed after Colledge/ many are moving back to their roots, and now with Marquette being voted top of the top ten places in the Country, the retiries are comming.... I see a boom comming, and soon , however not like a normal boom and bust Florida model.
If I were considering a future here, I would not wait too long to invest , its only going to get more expensive...and harder to find good spots to settle in.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And , thats a good thing. If everyone wanted to move to Marquette , it sure would get crowded, quickly !..... I think maybe a lot more depends on having a job up here. Marquette is not cheap place to live, and it does take a little dertimination to move all the way up here. Things are changing now that the retirement folks have found it, as we have never been a tourist destination. I see that as a good thing, not a false economy like places in the AZ. desert with all the problems that go along with the lack in infrastructure.
Marquette is making it one day at a time, doing things right, mostly with middle class folks who come here to work in the Educational/medical/ and Mining trades. Many transfers/ many have stayed after Colledge/ many are moving back to their roots, and now with Marquette being voted top of the top ten places in the Country, the retiries are comming.... I see a boom comming, and soon , however not like a normal boom and bust Florida model.
If I were considering a future here, I would not wait too long to invest , its only going to get more expensive...and harder to find good spots to settle in.
Your right. My wife and I are really beginning to see that buying a home there and paying more now, may be a very good choice. I am seeing more and more people getting tired of the rat race, and wanting the slower paced life. I think Marquette will only become more desireable in the years to come, but I hope it stays the same also...if possible.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Your right. My wife and I are really beginning to see that buying a home there and paying more now, may be a very good choice. I am seeing more and more people getting tired of the rat race, and wanting the slower paced life. I think Marquette will only become more desireable in the years to come, but I hope it stays the same also...if possible.
I was talking to a local Yooper friend today about all the developement. He spent several years in the Saganaw area and moved back here because of quality of life for his faimly. His last comment was " I'm all for seeing Marquette grow, but I sure hope it don't get like Travese City". What ever that means? ( he is in the building trades).... All I know , is what I see and what I feel , from living all over the Country, big city and small. Being retired here I may come from a different perspective than say a younger person, who is still working, and has to depend on a specfic trade or business to be happy.... I don't want to oversell Marquette, talk is cheap. People should come on up and spend some time, even a week , just gunking around and exploring, before doing anything as drastic as cutting all ties to where they live now.
When we bought our 10 acres, almost 4 years ago now, we could not wait to build, but had to sell first downstate. Land Contracts are a great way to get started, very common up here. ... Anyone interested in seeing what its like should go to Northern Michigan Land Brokers web site for a looksee, its a start. ( I recomend no specific broker,agent, or sale of property, that would constute advertizing and thats forbidden on these threads).

Old 07-31-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I was talking to a local Yooper friend today about all the developement. He spent several years in the Saganaw area and moved back here because of quality of life for his faimly. His last comment was " I'm all for seeing Marquette grow, but I sure hope it don't get like Travese City". What ever that means? ( he is in the building trades).... All I know , is what I see and what I feel , from living all over the Country, big city and small. Being retired here I may come from a different perspective than say a younger person, who is still working, and has to depend on a specfic trade or business to be happy.... I don't want to oversell Marquette, talk is cheap. People should come on up and spend some time, even a week , just gunking around and exploring, before doing anything as drastic as cutting all ties to where they live now.
When we bought our 10 acres, almost 4 years ago now, we could not wait to build, but had to sell first downstate. Land Contracts are a great way to get started, very common up here. ... Anyone interested in seeing what its like should go to Northern Michigan Land Brokers web site for a looksee, its a start. ( I recomend no specific broker,agent, or sale of property, that would constute advertizing and thats forbidden on these threads).
Do you think it would cost more to build say an 1800-2000 sq ft. house up there on a few acres, then to buy? We really havent seen anything we like in our range.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Do you think it would cost more to build say an 1800-2000 sq ft. house up there on a few acres, then to buy? We really havent seen anything we like in our range.
That IS the big question.,it has lots of caveats. So much depends on your needs and what you can be happy with. After all, if you can't find what you want ( choices are limited here) , then one may not have any other choice.
From a bottom line perspective, it cost more to build always then to buy, almost anywhere. Even here houses are not going up in value just yet. You can get some great deals on pre-existing dwellings if you shop around however a lot seem to be ether too far on the low-end, or too high on the high -end. Its possible that there IS a shortage of affordable new or almost new houses in Marquette.
Some folks have choise to rent for a year or two first, than jump in, buy or build. I did not have that time , besides I built, cause I am picky...and am my own general Contractor, that helps. I have found that remodeling, major,costs the most, more than a fresh build. Building materials, even here, are at an alltime low now, so, it is still a good time to build. Labor is about 50 per cent of your cost, so being your own GC will save a bundle.
I favor building, and if you pick the right property, you can come out with a dinamite location. There is still some great property left here, that makes all the difference in the world...remember, location,location,location...the Realtors favorite moto.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:06 PM

351 posts, read 797,103 times
There is a little history of when people say they don't want Marquette to get like TC. This goes back to TC having hotels on the lake and keeping the beach private. Not sure which bay it is but it is all private beach at said bay. Another portion is a State park which of course would cost money to visit. Mqt has went to great lengths at keeping the whole city water front public. Sprawl will be the big issue in the future and there will need to be some sort of "smart growth" policies in place in the townships I think. As a fact Marquette City is quite a bit larger in population than TC at 21,000 and a university of 10,000. TC is only about 14,000. They do get more visitors there and have more summer residents. But where the issue first started out as an open lake issue it is now more of a sprawl issue as the TC area has grown to over a 100,000. Mqt area is about 70,000. Just wanted to chime in on that "don't get like TC" bit. I think Marquette's relative isolation works in its favor at keeping a little less touristy and a bit more rugged, independent, real.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
That IS the big question.,it has lots of caveats. So much depends on your needs and what you can be happy with. After all, if you can't find what you want ( choices are limited here) , then one may not have any other choice.
From a bottom line perspective, it cost more to build always then to buy, almost anywhere. Even here houses are not going up in value just yet. You can get some great deals on pre-existing dwellings if you shop around however a lot seem to be ether too far on the low-end, or too high on the high -end. Its possible that there IS a shortage of affordable new or almost new houses in Marquette.
Some folks have choise to rent for a year or two first, than jump in, buy or build. I did not have that time , besides I built, cause I am picky...and am my own general Contractor, that helps. I have found that remodeling, major,costs the most, more than a fresh build. Building materials, even here, are at an alltime low now, so, it is still a good time to build. Labor is about 50 per cent of your cost, so being your own GC will save a bundle.
I favor building, and if you pick the right property, you can come out with a dinamite location. There is still some great property left here, that makes all the difference in the world...remember, location,location,location...the Realtors favorite moto.
Yes, we have seen some great property at great prices!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, we have seen some great property at great prices!
You were not here long enough to do that !

Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You were not here long enough to do that !
Oh, we picked up some realestate books while we were there. They looked good in the books anyways, and descriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan