Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,013 times

Advertisements

Anyone here on City-Data/Michigan has a good fishin' spot you'd normally visit/go to? If so, would you like to share your story and experience?

I'd be interested to hear where you go and what you'd normally catch in said place.

Reputation points will be given generously!!!

B............G..............F..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:24 AM

999 posts, read 4,512,483 times
Salmon at Rogers City on Lake Huron, and also salmon on the Ocqueoc River near Rogers City. I've caught lots of Steelhead there. Do a google search.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:46 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,196,048 times
Michigan Fishing Report by Greatmich.com (http://www.greatmich.com/cgi-local/report.php - broken link)

The Michigan Sportsman - Hunting and Fishing Michigan

You might enjoy these sites.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:50 PM

17 posts, read 112,472 times
My 20 year old son is fishing crazy! He belongs to the Carp Anglers Group and actually sport fishes for carp! Who knew? He likes to go to Kent Lake in Kensington Metropark to carp fish. But, his 30 lb carp was caught in a secret fishing hole close to home. LOL He also belongs to NBAA and competes in local bass fishing tournaments. His favorite bass fishing lakes are Woodland Lake in Livingston County, Cass Lake in Oakland County, Lobdell in Livingston/Genesee Counties. He likes Cass and Kent Lakes for Walleye fishing. This kid will fish 24 hours a day and has no idea that colleges don't offer "Fishing Scholarships"!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 AM

3,250 posts, read 9,149,696 times
Just DON'T fish near a nuclear power plant!! Gets you in real trouble. Ask a Monroe County Sheriff and a Monroe County Firefighter who did that right after 9/11.

They were fishing in a boat in their normal spot near Fermi when they looked up and saw some M-16's pointed at them. Needless to say they were a tad embarrassed. You see, their old spot became off limits when the perimeter was extended after 9/11. Liz

Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,762,447 times
I'm not a fisherman, but a lot of people in Grand Rapids rave about the Rogue River in Rockford (15 minutes North of GR):

ESPN - MICHIGAN (March 2006): Michigan's Rogue River: Two streams in one

Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,702,294 times
Petoskey has some great areas to fish as well as any of the mid-sized rivers that empty into either Lakes Michigan or Huron. Spring Steelhead, Fall Salmon runs and steelhead runs. Anyplace to get a line wet is great. I live in Maine right now, but was born and raised in Michigan.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM

54 posts, read 258,508 times
I don't care where you are in Metro Grand Rapids, from pristine lakes, to gravel pits your going to have great fishing. I've never been disappointed, even Lamar Park has great fishing. Lamar by the way has some of the largest Karp I have ever seen in my entire life.

I'll spoil my secret spot. If you're in the Metro area I will advise you to seek out Campbell Lake. It's located about east of LaBarge in the SE corner of Kent County. It's just off the bend on 86th St. It's not that big of a lake, probably a thousand feet or so to both sides.

The entire lake is pristine and beautiful during sunsets. Since the areas around it are growing the lake is loosing its character to skeedoos, so fishermen are loosing their fair shake. If anything some of the folks might have banded together to make it anti-wake like it should be as a small boat with a outboard wakes the entire lake.

The only really good way to take from this lake is to use a boat. If you're boat-less there is a fellow by the name of Cushman(sp?) who rents out 15 footers at 5 dollars a day -- on the honor system of course. Just put your five in the box at his back door grab some oars, life vest, hoist anchor and push it out.

If your a gamer I'd recommend heading for the cove which should be on the far south side of the lake.

The great thing about this lake is that it is quite deep and shallow providing many habitats for species. Large species Pike and Walleye frequent the center of the lake about 35-50 feet down. Don't bother dropping anchor it won't hit. We just put our poles out over the sides release and let the line drop about 35-40 feet. Usually on a good day we just drift. We find the wind gives us a trolling effect and usually pick something up.

If your in a cooking mood there are plenty opportunities around the entire lake for small species. For the standard species there is a great area on the western most end under a grouping of Willows. I've pulled good size Blue Gills and Sun from that spot.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM

36 posts, read 174,278 times
Well, if you are going to travel to northern Michigan, Mullett Lake is a Walleye factory. I have fished ther for years and it has never let me down. In spring during the Walleye spawn, the Cheboygan River is EXCELLENT as well.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 27,039 times
Im looking to go to campell lake tomorrow is there still good fishing what should I use bait and lures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan