Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,811,526 times

Advertisements

I think we need to do two things: increase the gas tax, and make sure that the additional revenue stays in the transportation budget (where it's meant to go) and doesn't get put into the general budget. Just opposing taxation for opposition's sake is tea-baggish, childish and unrealistic.

There's no way you can compare roads in Minnesota, Montana and N.D. with Michigan. We have a much higher density of population (in the lower half of the lower peninsula), and we have a lot more suburban population commuting longer distances (which is a problem, but will take decades to change).

Good luck getting all concrete roads. The concrete and asphalt construction associations dictate to the state that they get used evenly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,907,904 times
A large part of the gas tax is Federal. The revenue collected goes into General revenue, not back to the States and to Federal projects.... This has been going on for as long as I can remember. meanwhile the entire infrastructure is falling apart.
If the tax on fuel went to the road fund , like it was intended , there would be funds to keep the repair going. This is both on the State and Federal level. politics plays such a huge role , that fixing our infrastructure seems less important than funding offshore wars....as an example. Public work projects would also help with unemployment.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I think we need to do two things: increase the gas tax, and make sure that the additional revenue stays in the transportation budget (where it's meant to go) and doesn't get put into the general budget. Just opposing taxation for opposition's sake is tea-baggish, childish and unrealistic.

There's no way you can compare roads in Minnesota, Montana and N.D. with Michigan. We have a much higher density of population (in the lower half of the lower peninsula), and we have a lot more suburban population commuting longer distances (which is a problem, but will take decades to change).

Good luck getting all concrete roads. The concrete and asphalt construction associations dictate to the state that they get used evenly.
Yes the population does make a huge difference. Michigan highways have to be made to a higher standard than other states also because of the weight limit. few places in the Country allow 220,000 loads to move at will across the state, the Auto Industry had a big hand in that years ago, for the movement od steel to build cars. Those huge multi-axel trucks ar called " Michigan Trains" by the rest of the transport world.
Up here in the UP , the roads are in great condition, and we get winter plowing on demand....just one of the benifits of having fewer peoples.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,890,683 times
Most of our roads are a heck of a lot better than they used to be, at least around me in Macomb County. I remember roads like 14 Mile being so rough a few years ago they may as well have been unpaved. The repairs on 75 in SW Detroit mean my pickup truck can stay in its lane now...there was one hole on NB 75 at 96 on a curve that would knock my truck out of its lane. We pay enough in taxes already, and I'm not driving a Prius so I'm paying my fair share in gasoline tax, or close to it.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Most of our roads are a heck of a lot better than they used to be, at least around me in Macomb County. I remember roads like 14 Mile being so rough a few years ago they may as well have been unpaved. The repairs on 75 in SW Detroit mean my pickup truck can stay in its lane now...there was one hole on NB 75 at 96 on a curve that would knock my truck out of its lane. We pay enough in taxes already, and I'm not driving a Prius so I'm paying my fair share in gasoline tax, or close to it.

I do not understand these types of responses. Are you saying that since you are ahppy with the condition of one road near you, they should just let the the other roads fall apart?

It is not a question about who is paying their share, it is a question about where can they get money to maintain the roads? Or, what should they do as the run out of moeny? Some people would suggest taht they just stop maintaining some of the less used roads and then close them when they become unsafe. If that were done, I am not sure what the few residents on those roads would do. Maybe the state should buy some of them out, move them, and close the roads.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not understand these types of responses. Are you saying that since you are ahppy with the condition of one road near you, they should just let the the other roads fall apart?

It is not a question about who is paying their share, it is a question about where can they get money to maintain the roads? Or, what should they do as the run out of moeny? Some people would suggest taht they just stop maintaining some of the less used roads and then close them when they become unsafe. If that were done, I am not sure what the few residents on those roads would do. Maybe the state should buy some of them out, move them, and close the roads.
There are lots of private roads , and public roads in the State of Michigan , that are not maintained. Often it is up to the people who live on these roads to repair, plow, and improve them. This makes for some interesting times, with lots of infighting amount neighbors.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,890,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No, I meant that the roads overall in SE MI seem to be in better shape than they were ten years ago. Some of the repairs aren't holding up, but still, I'm a lot happier with most of our roads.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 95,352 times
I don't know what the solution is but I'd happily pay more if it meant better roads. Gas tax, tolls, whatever. I cannot stand the horrible roads in and around Ann Arbor (one example: Ann Arbor Saline Rd, right near the entrance to 94, is absolutely bone jarring to drive upon!), and elsewhere as well. I know it's a fact of life in a climate such as ours, but still... there must be a better way!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 AM

362 posts, read 694,475 times
Oh give me a break with the climate excuse. Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana all have harsher winter weather than we have. Just compair the dalily temps in the winter of places like Bismark or the twin citys to even Marquette and see tha huge difference.

I read a thing years back about the crappy roads in America compaired to roads in Europe which were far better and longer lasting even in the Alps where they have as much truck traffic thru the passes as we have here along with the cold and snow.
It all boiled down to job security.
Why do you think the road builders will not give the sate a warrenty on the roads they build?

Al

Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Oh give me a break with the climate excuse. Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana all have harsher winter weather than we have. Just compair the dalily temps in the winter of places like Bismark or the twin citys to even Marquette and see tha huge difference.

I read a thing years back about the crappy roads in America compaired to roads in Europe which were far better and longer lasting even in the Alps where they have as much truck traffic thru the passes as we have here along with the cold and snow.
It all boiled down to job security.
Why do you think the road builders will not give the sate a warrenty on the roads they build?

Al
Do you have a link on the warranty part??

I do some work for the state and we sign a two year warranty.

Last edited by Driller1; 08-29-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan