Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,872,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeyooper View Post
I have heard that most people from the UP are nice, but that a few yoopers who don't want you to move up there. I have heard it said come visit, spend your money and leave? Is scolls one of those? If so I understand. I would not want all those trolls going up there either! Even though I am one of those wannabe's.
That poster is not a Yooper , far from it. Nether good nor bad, we have all kinds up here , just like anywhere else, only there are less of the negative.... fact is , in the more populated areas there are more folks from other places that are moving here. Second homes, retirees , students, and just those people who came here because of a job transfer....and stayed.
In some County's , like Marquette , the out of Stater's from places like IL. and Mn. may have helped keep prices higher , including homes, and rental apartments. The Union is strong up here also , so wages are on the higher side for the U.P. in general.... The going rate for laborers sees to be around 12.00 to 15.00 per hour. More skilled workers about 25.00. Thats what I am paying these days. Apprentice trades about 50.00 per hour and up , for residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
Default That's not entirely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Here's the area paper Help Wanted - EHEXTRA - Marinette, WI

It's better than what I thought. You can be a school bus driver for $8/HR and get 32 hours a week. Also looks like Menards is hiring. Also the school bus job is in Escanaba which is 50 miles away.

Ive been to Menominee numerous times. I highly doubt there are many people here who live there and will comment. It's the same old thing with you. You say I'm full of **** but you can't post anything to the contrary because you know there aren't any jobs there.
Hate to break it to you, but scolls isn't 100% right . . . .

HE'S 1000% RIGHT !!!!

This place is dead, buried, gone. There is absolutely no work here. The only way to get in anywhere in this God forsaken place is if you know somebody. You CAN NOT make it on $7 an hour working at 40 hours a week, split between 4 jobs and that's if your lucky enough to wait long enough in line to get one of those. I had to step up and commend scolls for saying EXACTLY how it is.

Think he's lying? Think I'm full of it? Hmmm, okay check the census and see how much the population has dropped in the last 10 years for both Marinette and Menominee. If your retired, don't need money, this is a GREAT place to live, if you have free housing, and no living expenses (water, heat, elect, etc).

Let's bring up the companies, and all the other places CLAIMING they need workers. You may get in if you meet these requirements:

1. Are you a female or a minority?
2. Do you know or have somebody working at the company your applying at?
3. Go back to number 1.

Also, it helps your chances if you start a relationship with somebody who already has a job, then you can get in.

As a bonus though, you have a MUCH better chance if you use an out of the area address.

If your looking for work here, don't fall into the nepotimistic trap called Menominee/Marinette. It isn't happening, not even in dreamland.

This is written 5 MONTHS after his post. It's the same now and it was the same 5 years before he starting writing his. If your looking for work, DO NOT COME TO MENOMINEE/MARINETTE!

If you can secure work BEFORE you get here, and you have a much, much better chance of doing so, because an out of towner deserves a chance in their minds, screw the people who already live here, then do that BEFORE you come here looking for work, because it does not exist.

Marinette/Menominee is too small, and all of the people that have jobs will get friends, relatives, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends to fill those positions.

Not sure on hospital positions, but if you plan on getting a job because you got an associate's degree, a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, heck even a PhD, DO NOT COME HERE LOOKING FOR WORK. If your from the UP, you are not an out of towner unless your coming from downstate Michigan (under the bridge), south of Oshkosh,Wi, west of Eau Claire, Wi, or from another state. You will come here and find out REAL QUICK you will not find any work.

Yes you can go on the internet and to local jobfinders, and it's same tired bs and you will get sick of it, and in a hurry. Jobs listed everywhere, and it's crap. You dial until your fingers bleed, have every commendation and degree available, and if you get here, your gonna get stuck in the land of disappointment.

Heed his warning, because it's completely factual.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Well first off, we do not use dial phones anymore up here in the UP. You seem to have a real dislike of the area, a lot to do,I suppose from your job problems. The UP as a whole has the lowest unemployment in Michigan. Its 8.5 % currently. The county with the lowest 5 % is Macknaw County. Barga County is still way up there at 19% , which is better than 26% as it was last year. Marquette County is next lowest in the UP at 8 %. As I recall, Menominee area was also low because of all the Government Contracts for ship building. I also do know they were looking for welders and other trades a while back, and were having trouble finding some skilled workers for some jobs.
Remember , the UP has 1/3rd the State's land mass, and 2 % of the population, so just a few jobs make a big difference sometimes. I would say Marquette County is growing the most, and has the need for the most jobs overall due to the population and services up here. We are growing at a rate of 2 per cent a year, I was told. These are mostly new numbers, so, some maybe off a little . It would take an intense survey to cover all the jobs, industries, service,medical,academic etc. and how they apply. For the most part, I do not recommend going any where with out a job in the bag. Maybe Williston, ND. may be different. The problem there is housing, not jobs.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,982,094 times
The UP has low unemployment because it has a lot of retirees who are not seeking employment, has people who are underemployed, and because most high school students who aspire to be more than a day laborer leave the area for college or other better paying jobs.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The UP has low unemployment because it has a lot of retirees who are not seeking employment, has people who are underemployed, and because most high school students who aspire to be more than a day laborer leave the area for college or other better paying jobs.
Then explain why there is a shortage in some trade jobs. Not every kid goes away. NMU is right here in Marquette. WE have a shortage of Doctors, especially those in special specific medicine.Construction Companies are hiring, but they complain about finding tradesman and experienced workers..25.00 an hour is not bad up here. These are not University students ether, that are seeking to learn a trade, serving their apprenticeship.Not all want to go to higher education. The mines are hiring, but getting a job directly from Cliffs, Rio Tinto, and other smaller mining supporting jobs is a long wait and process.The benefits are very good in these mining occupations.If you want to work, Marquette County is the place to be for many young people.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 AM

302 posts, read 764,079 times
I went to Menominee back in October, it seems like a nice little town. Compared to what I was expecting, I was impressed.
There arn't a ton of good jobs in the Upper Peninsula, and there isn't as much to do up here compared to Chicago, living up here isn't for everyone. But I feel that the towns in the UP have a certain charming character all their own, the people friendlier and more down to Earth then in many other places.
Though I think all in all I'd rather be in a bigger city with more going on, I prefer Sault Ste. Marie (another town in the UP) over a place like Portage MI, a town with no central downtown, composed of little more then strip malls and no real identity of its own.

If you are going to be in Menominee after April 1st or so, be sure to visit the DeYoung zoo in nearby Wallace, MI. Its a small privately run zoo that focuses on big cats. I found it to be just as enjoyable as some of the zoos in bigger cities I've been to.

DeYoung Zoo - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeverett55/sets/72157627954298246/ - broken link)

Samson the Lion roaring | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeverett55/6276876577/ - broken link)

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
I went to Menominee back in October, it seems like a nice little town. Compared to what I was expecting, I was impressed.
There arn't a ton of good jobs in the Upper Peninsula, and there isn't as much to do up here compared to Chicago, living up here isn't for everyone. But I feel that the towns in the UP have a certain charming character all their own, the people friendlier and more down to Earth then in many other places.
Though I think all in all I'd rather be in a bigger city with more going on, I prefer Sault Ste. Marie (another town in the UP) over a place like Portage MI, a town with no central downtown, composed of little more then strip malls and no real identity of its own.

If you are going to be in Menominee after April 1st or so, be sure to visit the DeYoung zoo in nearby Wallace, MI. Its a small privately run zoo that focuses on big cats. I found it to be just as enjoyable as some of the zoos in bigger cities I've been to.

DeYoung Zoo - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeverett55/sets/72157627954298246/ - broken link)

Samson the Lion roaring | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeverett55/6276876577/ - broken link)
Portage , Mi. ? Where is that? There is Portage, In. Yes Chicago is the place to make your fortune, save your coins, and move back to the UP later in life. That's what I did. Marquette is the best city, cause its a real city. I was over your way for a Concert a few weeks back, ( Canadian side) its a much larger place than the US side, which we did not stop at . Not much to see or do as I recall a few years back. Its all on the Canadian side.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Portage , Mi. ? Where is that?
Portage, MI is just south of K-Zoo. I'd pick Menominee over Portage as well, and I even have relatives that live in Portage... and I like them .

Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Portage, MI is just south of K-Zoo. I'd pick Menominee over Portage as well, and I even have relatives that live in Portage... and I like them .
O' I knew that, been there many times, a very good restaurant there . I was just confused by the message posted, out of the blue. I agree, I would pick Menominee as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM

629 posts, read 767,960 times
Yes, Marinette Marine could probably use a guy with a CNC background. I mean he wont be running a machine but an industrial background in a shipyard would be desirelable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan