Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,783,560 times

Advertisements

Michigan is still a major bellweather for the national economy, despite those who have written us off (although serious economic development officials in other states know better).

Although we are nowhere near the level of economic output we were just five years ago, the momentum (mainly driven by manufacturing output) is growing. According to the Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank, Michigan's economic growth for the last 4 months was twice as fast as the rest of the country:

Economic Expansion Underway in Forty-Six States | Construction Industry News | Reed Construction Data

More analysis at Blogging for Michigan:

http://www.bloggingformichigan.com/d...-rest-of-the-c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,869,550 times
Surprise..surprise!...let the negative nellies chime in!
Those of us who know...knew Michigan will and would be back. Sorry, but Michigan has too many positives to be held down for long.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,647,960 times
I think that a few of us has being saying this for sometime and have been bullish on Michigan's future...vis a vis'.....the national economy.

I am rather doom and gloom about the economic prospects of the nation as a whole. However, I think going forward the future of this nation is dependent upon the type of economy that Michigan has, which is durable goods products that can be exported as well as used for domestic consumption. Labor cost are down and buying American patriotism is up, as well as, the consumer reports on Big 3 vehicle quality and reliablity. Now the state has movie production and "pure Michigan" generating more tourism......plus....the ace in the whole....FRESH WATER...the future oil.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,733,599 times
If Indiana's growth is 6% and that is twice the national average then MI at 9% is 3 times the average. About time we were on the top of a list that is GOOD for the state.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,869,550 times
A lot of things are helping Michigan, and I believe one of the biggest things will be..and is, the movie industry, and the stars who come here. I was reading about how David Arquette absolutely loves Michigan. So much so he designed a tee-shirt after it, and had been tweeting all his followers about how much he loves it here and has been posting pictures of all kinds of things including sunsets. It may seem like a small thing, but its more publicty and gets people to come and spend money. Also ashton kutcher was tweeting how much he liked it here, and then there was Kathy Lee. I know you ask, well what does this have to do with the O.P's original topic? Well, its all about image and feeling good about yourself that draws good things to you. The same can be said about a state. If you follow the "Pure Michigan" page on Facebook you can also feel the good vibes there. Over 118,000 followers and growing like crazy everyday. You hear all sorts of great things about this state from the people who live here and tons of people who are and have visited and just love it here! I can just feel a great vibe going on in this state that I havent felt in a long time. All This combined will definitely contribute to our steady climb up... in many different ways.

Last edited by michmoldman; 08-09-2010 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,647,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
A lot of things are helping Michigan, and I believe one of the biggest things will be..and is, the movie industry, and the stars who come here. I was reading about how David Arquette absolutely loves Michigan. So much so he designed a tee-shirt after it, and had been tweeting all his followers about how much he loves it here and has been posting pictures of all kinds of things including sunsets. It may seem like a small thing, but its more publicty and gets people to come and spend money. Also ashton kutcher was tweeting how much he liked it here, and then there was Kathy Lee. I know you ask, well what does this have to do with the O.P's original topic? Well, its all about image and feeling good about yourself that draws good things to you. The same can be said about a state. If you follow the "Pure Michigan" page on Facebook you can also feel the good vibes there. Over 118,000 followers and growing like crazy everyday. You hear all sorts of great things about this state from the people who live here and tons of people who are and have visited and just love it here! I can just feel a great vibe going on in this state that I havent felt in a long time. All This combined will definitely contribute to our steady climb up... in many different ways.
The thing about Michigan that works against it is the fact that it is not generally on the route to someplace else. If you are driving on the highways in Michigan its because you are going somewhere in Michigan and not simply passing through to some other destination. Hence, people don't get to see what Michigan has to offer as they take road trip vacations or travel. That is why people who come to the state and explore.....are surprised and impressed.

Side note: More states are starting to copy Michigan by offering tax breaks to movie producers. Georgia is the latest state. I hope Michigan can do something to continue to make Michigan a better choice than elsewhere.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The thing about Michigan that works against it is the fact that it is not generally on the route to someplace else. If you are driving on the highways in Michigan its because you are going somewhere in Michigan and not simply passing through to some other destination. Hence, people don't get to see what Michigan has to offer as they take road trip vacations or travel. That is why people who come to the state and explore.....are surprised and impressed.

Side note: More states are starting to copy Michigan by offering tax breaks to movie producers. Georgia is the latest state. I hope Michigan can do something to continue to make Michigan a better choice than elsewhere.

Michigan was just copying other states withthe tax breaks for movie makers. However Michigan's tax breaks far exceed those offered by any other state. If the location is suitable, it makes no sense to make movies anywhere else. The state pays for something like half of the movie.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,783,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Michigan was just copying other states withthe tax breaks for movie makers. However Michigan's tax breaks far exceed those offered by any other state. If the location is suitable, it makes no sense to make movies anywhere else. The state pays for something like half of the movie.
The State actually gives a cash rebate for 40% of costs incurred to make a movie here. The problems happen when film producers start adding in new Maybach's and jet boats as part of the film costs.

However, I don't think the film industry or the tourism industry is what is driving Michigan's comeback right now. I believe, according to the article, it's directly related to the upsurge in production, primarily in products being shipped overseas and the uptick in domestic auto sales.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
I hope that this is sustained. Interesting that this comes from a construciotn industry oriented journal. I work almost exclusively with construction related busiensses and none of my clients have seen any sign of an uptick. They all say that it stopped falling, but has not picked up one iota. The problem is that loans for construciotn are almost not available, especially for residential projects. With no loans, very few owners/developers can finance any new construciotn. Most of the work going on is maintenance with a few new projects scattered in here and there. If it does not swing soon, we may not have many construction companies left to build things when it does pick back up.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,571,090 times
Quote:
The State actually gives a cash rebate for 40% of costs incurred to make a movie here. The problems happen when film producers start adding in new Maybach's and jet boats as part of the film costs.
Can a knowledgeable person explain to me why this is called a "tax break?" If we are paying for production costs with taxpayer dollars, it seems like it should be called a "tax give."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan