Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,367 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Dallas, TX and are considering moving to Holland, MI. My wife is a nurse and I'm an accountant. We love nature and have two young childern (2yrs and 6 months). We want to move where we can enjoy the four seasons and let our boys enjoy nature (and not get attacked by fire ants!). We also enjoy Chicago and like the fact of being close to a big city.

I have read lots of posts about Holland, and like what I have read, but I have a few questions:

1) How is the job market in Holland and would working in Grand Rapids be too far of a commute?

2) I would like to live somewhere where parks or running/biking trials are within walking distance?

3) Any contributors to the forum who were once in our shoes, considering moving to Holland, and have made the move have any insight?

Thanks for your resonses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 PM

57 posts, read 206,769 times
The economy is not doing too good in Holland like most of the State the current unemployment rate in Holland is 16.10%.
I agree its a beautiful place, it would be about 30-40 minutes traveling to Grand Rapids maybe a little more maybe a little less depending on where you end up working. I have lived in Michigan all my life. I have lived in Michigan all my life and love it except for the cold winters so I hope thats not something you mind. Now fire Ants are not that common in Michigan (I don't know about them in Holland) but I have seen a huge nest of them a few times visiting my aunt in Ann Arbor but they were along a trail and out of the way, and there were some in Birch Run, and Midland, and Macon but I only saw them a few times so its not something you will likely ever have to deal with. I do want to let you know though before you get there that holland is a very conservative and religious (no offense intended if thats what you are) community so if you are more liberal you would probably want to look elsewhere and would do better either in Grand Rapids or in South East Michigan somewhere. I know there are plenty of running and biking trails in Grand Rapids but I don't know about Holland you can find out here holland mi - Google Maps just click the bike checkmark and it outlines trails in parks and around town.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:58 AM

382 posts, read 1,053,452 times
Michigan is a great choice for you.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,367 times
Thank you both for taking the time to help my family and I in our decision!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM

117 posts, read 367,611 times
While it is possible that some have managed to find their way to Michigan and made a nest, it is pretty unlikely that fire ants would be able to survive a winter in Michigan. I've never heard of anyone getting stung by them in Mich.
However, I'd definitely recommend visiting before you move. Holland is a pretty small place. I've been there for the Tulip Festival and I think it is a pleasant place to visit. However, I would be bored to death if I lived there full-time.
Now Grand Rapids is the 2nd largest city in Michigan so it does have its share of entertainment/restaurants/etc. but it is still not that big compared to a huge metropolis like Chicago, so make sure you have a realistic idea of what it's like before you make a commitment to move. Good luck to you.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,163 times
Holland Hospital is growing rapidly--lots of hiring going on. Getting a nursing job shouldn't be too difficult.
I think you'd like the area. Have you seen the video? Holland Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan