U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,654,466 times

Advertisements

I know you mentioned about the ocean, and since i cant comment on places south of me here, i'll hit on that. I too grew up on the east coast at the ocean. But since moving to michigan almost 2 years ago and being right at Lake Michigan, it's got its own waves. I dont miss the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 27,505 times
Someone showed me this link, all about public transportation in MI and where to find it:
MDOT - Public Transit Providers

See any obvious towns in there to avoid?

Also, what does monthly electricity go for in Ann Arbor? Looking through apartments I see they don't usually include electrical.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 PM

3,024 posts, read 3,035,274 times
Flint is not one of our better towns, I would not move there at all. Lots of crime, very few jobs and it would be a huge let down to you. If your a twenty something moving here from out east, I would choose Lansing or Grand Rapids. Lansing obviously has MSU, and all the college culture around east lansing. Grand Rapids area has several smaller Christian colleges and Grand Valley State University (a very good school). Grand Rapids has a much younger population than many Michigan cities, and its close to Lake Michigan (40 min ride). The job market may be better in GR as well. One poster mentioned Ann Arbor, a nice town but very liberal for a midwestern town, and its very expensive compared to the rest of the state. Just make sure you are ready for the massive climate difference as our winters are far colder, and the epic culture shock that you may face moving out here from the east. In most of this state its all fishin, huntin and pickup trucks. We love the outdoors and the woods. Oh and life anywhere in the midwest involves driving and owning a car, it really is a must have. I know many east coast folks dont own one. If you choose to make the leap, then welcome to Michigan.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,402 times
East Lansing and Ann Arbor are both culturally and ethnically diverse communities surrounded by two incredible universities. Michigan State University has a beautiful campus which is smaller than University of Michigan, but is stunning in all the seasons and the pride the students show for their school is absolutely unbelievable. Spartan Pride is almost a tangible thing on campus that runs straight through from the students to the faculty to the staff. MSU students study hard and play hard. University of Michigan is huge, but also has an incredible campus. Kids who graduate from U of M have to work for it so they too play hard. Athletics are big at U of M, just like at MSU. U of M has an amazing medical school and hospital that brings people from all over the world and the culture included in the area is truly impressive.

In Kalamazoo Western Michigan University is a much smaller campus when compared to MSU and U of M, but it is racially diverse. There is a gigantic population of students who transfer from other countries to Western to complete their college education because it's less expensive comparatively speaking. The communities in and around Kalamazoo are not "hick" towns and are diverse in all ways. College housing especially is very diverse. Western does have mediocre academics, but at any University the education is what you make of it.

Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo is smaller than Western, but on the academic scale is the top of the line. The campus is fantastic and they encourage and in some programs of study require travel to other countries for a semester. Kalamazoo College does have athletics, but a majority of the focus is on academics. It is pricey, but they do offer scholarships and work study programs.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM

56 posts, read 58,542 times
Flint is bad.

Another option to consider is Wayne State University which has a very decent engineering school, medical school, school of pharmacy etc. It's located in downtown Detroit, but most of my friends who went there commuted from suburbs. If you go to either that school or UM-D you can live in suburbs. Most middle-class Detroit subs that I can think of are fairly ethnically and racially diverse. Southfield has a large black population and is affordable, Oak Park has a large black / Jewish / Christian Arab populations and is also affordable. Farmington Hills is a bit more pricey but is also very diverse. Troy, Rochester / Rochester Hills are nice, probably a tad less diverse but there's a number of black people living there as well, plus Indian, Chinese etc. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems / weird looks in any of the middle class communities here. Regarding segregation, with all due respect - and I don't want to start a flame war - in my opinion, it's largely self-imposed. In this economy you should be able to find good rentals pretty much anywhere.

However a car is absolutely required.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM

736 posts, read 994,249 times
i would definitely say ann arbor.....but that might be TOO liberal for you...
grand rapids if you don't like pot smoking :}

Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM

117 posts, read 224,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGood View Post
I meant by the hicks thing that for one I'm black and don't want to be in a rural town where they don't even see black people on TV. One of the only things about New York I like is the cultural diversity, I can't get along with people who live by cultural stereotypes or where I would even more likely get turned away from jobs because they judged me by my skin or whatever first.
Honestly I would say that Michigan has more than its share of racial tension, with the possible exceptions of Kalamazoo and Ann Arbor (two areas that are pretty racially diverse and not extremely segregated in my opinion). There is a lot of historical resentment and hostility between black people and white people in the area. Detroit is one of the starkest examples of "white flight" to the suburbs, and it has created a lot of tension between the mostly-white suburbs of Detroit and mostly-black Detroit itself. You may want to spend more time feeling that out before you make the move. It is different than NYC.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 PM

3,934 posts, read 4,074,121 times
Don't write off Flint. Downtown Flint is on the rebound and is actually very nice. However, jobs are scarce everywhere in Michigan, and this includes the cities.

Ann Arbor is vibrant, but not particularly urban.

Also, the poster who said Ann Arbor and Ferndale were the only gay-friendly places in Michigan was completely off the mark. There are plenty of gay-friendly places in Michigan.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM

910 posts, read 2,069,432 times
Royal Oak seems like it could suit HG pretty good. You could find a cheap place too live there, go to Oakland Community College, find a job, and if you keep up the studies, get a scholarship too University of Michigan. But it is gonna be a lot of work for ya. But only true city-boys can do it. I feel ya brother. I'm the same way

Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 PM

24 posts, read 27,505 times
Anybody have anything to say about Holland, MI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan