U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Kingsley, MI. Can anyone tell me anything about the village? Crime rate being priority, I know I could read the statistics but I would rather hear it from the residents. Are there residents there year round, grocery stores etc...? Churches or basic needs services? All replys are appreciated . This is my first time posting so I hope this comes up right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:20 AM

4,108 posts, read 7,557,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybear View Post
I am considering a move to Kingsley, MI. Can anyone tell me anything about the village? Crime rate being priority, I know I could read the statistics but I would rather hear it from the residents. Are there residents there year round, grocery stores etc...? Churches or basic needs services? All replys are appreciated . This is my first time posting so I hope this comes up right.
I believe Kingsley is a very small town, I am just guessing because of the area, and the small towns around it. But I have heard the schools are very good, and the home prices are amazing! This being because there are probably almost no jobs there. I would imagine the crime rate would be pretty darn low being such a small town. Again, I do not live..nor have I ever been there, but I have been looking at houses up in that area. The area is beautiful and close to all the great places in northern lower MI.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,643,790 times
Kingsley....been through there a few times for wrestling season. Our wrestlers always had their hands full with these guys. Though I dont know about the student body or the faculty I cant comment on that but will say the high school complex is fairly new.

The town is a village. Not much there. Many will drive to nearby TC for jobs. Crime rate? That would be the very least of my concerns and should be yours too. If you come from an area where locking everything up for fear of loss of life, limb and property you will find Kingsley very refreshing in that regard. Typical up north small town living. If you need something you can drive in to TC and get it, then retreat back to the rurals of Kingsley. You just might like it.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,358,917 times
I dont live too far from there and experienced the drive through last weekend. It's a small little village. I'm not sure on a grocery store, but i did see a dollar general and an ice cream place. lol. A friend of mine's daughter lives there, and she likes it. There are churches located there. And it's not really that far to Traverse, or to Chums Corner's where there is a grocery store, and Menards, Walgreens, etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
I'm originally from Cadillac, which would be the next biggest town to the south of Kingley, as where Traverse City would be to the North.
I always considered kngsley as a township.
There are many other small towns within the 50 miles between Cadilac and Traverse City. Kingsley, Buckley, Manton, Mesick, Harrietta,Tustin,Boon,and many more.
I have kinfolk in Mesick and my mother was laid to rest at Mesick cemetery.
I went to school for a small time in Boon.
These are all very friendly towns. Some are alittle bigger than Kingsley, some are even smaller.and most of them have a good school system and crime is next to none..
People help one another in these towns so there's no need for crime.
Everything mentioned included Kingsley.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM

1,399 posts, read 3,615,433 times
I have never lived in Kingsley, and, frankly, would never want to. I have two old friends who have lived there for years, on old farmsteads, who like being there. But I think neither one would pick it as a place to be, given the options.
It's a very small town..little in the way of shopping or services, though the people are very nice. Crime? Almost a silly question. You have to have population and some wealth for criminals to find something interesting to do, and Kingsley has little of either one.
Nice folks...very nice...and some good points to it like most tiny, slowly dying N. Michigan towns. But being close to Traverse City and cheap land/house prices are the only things, IMHO, to recommend it.
Apologies to my Kingsley friends.....

Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I have never lived in Kingsley, and, frankly, would never want to. I have two old friends who have lived there for years, on old farmsteads, who like being there. But I think neither one would pick it as a place to be, given the options.
It's a very small town..little in the way of shopping or services, though the people are very nice. Crime? Almost a silly question. You have to have population and some wealth for criminals to find something interesting to do, and Kingsley has little of either one.
Nice folks...very nice...and some good points to it like most tiny, slowly dying N. Michigan towns. But being close to Traverse City and cheap land/house prices are the only things, IMHO, to recommend it.
Apologies to my Kingsley friends.....
No offense, but your just not a country person like alot of us. There's nothing wrong with "not being into the country life".
It's all just a matter of lifstyle.
example:
I was raised on a Dairy farm in Cadillac,Mi. I've left the country a few times, but the country has never left me.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM

1,399 posts, read 3,615,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
No offense, but your just not a country person like alot of us. There's nothing wrong with "not being into the country life".
It's all just a matter of lifstyle.
example:
I was raised on a Dairy farm in Cadillac,Mi. I've left the country a few times, but the country has never left me.
Oh yes...not a "country person"...born and raised in urban Leelanau County, beneath the skyscrapers looming over the cherry orchards in NW Michigan
. Worked on those farms for years, almost all my childhood friends were farm kids, what would I know about the country life?
My point was that there are a lot of limitations to Kingsley, as my friends still residing there cheerfully admit.
This does make for some attractive home prices, especially if you like doublewides, and the schools in Kingsley are pretty good, all things considered.
Kingsley....gateway to Mayfield!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan