Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I totally agree that this summer has been near perfect (for me). I don't need extreme heat and it seems the majority of the weekends have been dry and sunny without extreme humidity. Just spent 4 days up north in the Gaylord area and I experienced nothing to dispel my notion that Michigan is the place to be! Even the bugs seem to be on vacation.
Agreed, and yet people here on C-D will continue to tell us (you know, those of us who actually live here and experience Michigan first hand) that we are wrong, that Michigan has terrible weather year round. 6-8 months of bitterly cold, gray, miserable, snowy weather followed by a few months of bugs and humidity. LOL. If they only really knew what it's like here! I wouldn't trade Michigan for anywhere in the Sunbelt, especially Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM

485 posts, read 966,286 times
Well, it's true there's some nasty weather occasionally and we don't have 300 days of sunshine like some places but you get too perfect and you get inundated with people. I would rather have more space and less people.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Well, it's true there's some nasty weather occasionally and we don't have 300 days of sunshine like some places but you get too perfect and you get inundated with people. I would rather have more space and less people.
I would also rather have more space and less people, but I don't think anywhere has perfect weather. Along with those 300 days of sunshine come sweltering summers, and the sun in places like Florida and Arizona is much hotter and more intense than it is here. We lived in Phoenix during the summer once and it really gets to the point where you just want to see some clouds. The sun beats down like a laser beam from early AM until dark and it gets to be just as tiresome as clouds and snow.

I don't really understand why people, at least on forums like these on C-D, tend to downplay the miserable attributes of the weather in the Sunbelt and exaggerate the miserable attributes of the weather in the Midwest and Northeast. I don't mean that you are doing that, I'm talking about various people on the various state forums here, especially in the "General U.S." forum. It's just sort of assumed by many that we have terrible weather and they have wonderful weather and everyone must agree with them or we are obviously "lying to ourselves", which are the words that one poster used to describe me because I stated that I am happy in Michigan and don't mind the weather here. God forbid I would have an opinion that doesn't match his.

It just gets tiresome!

Last edited by canudigit; 08-12-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:25 PM

485 posts, read 966,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I would also rather have more space and less people, but I don't think anywhere has perfect weather. Along with those 300 days of sunshine come sweltering summers, and the sun in places like Florida and Arizona is much hotter and more intense than it is here. We lived in Phoenix during the summer once and it really gets to the point where you just want to see some clouds. The sun beats down like a laser beam from early AM until dark and it gets to be just as tiresome as clouds and snow.

I don't really understand why people, at least on forums like these on C-D, tend to downplay the miserable attributes of the weather in the Sunbelt and exaggerate the miserable attributes of the weather in the Midwest and Northeast. I don't mean that you are doing that, I'm talking about various people on the various state forums here, especially in the "General U.S." forum. It's just sort of assumed by many that we have terrible weather and they have wonderful weather and everyone must agree with them or we are obviously "lying to ourselves", which are the words that one poster used to describe me because I stated that I am happy in Michigan and don't mind the weather here. God forbid I would have an opinion that doesn't match his.

It just gets tiresome!
Well, we all come with some bias, especially when we are pretty happy with where we live and Michigan takes a beating in public opinion for some reason. Some people want to simply stir up trouble just for the sake of it. Yes, ANY constant weather will make us thankful for a change and I think the awesome summers (Spring and Fall can be great too but unpredictable) we have here are amplified because it is a CHANGE from the sometimes oppressive winters. Shoot, even winters can be made enjoyable depending on your outdoor activity preference. I try to enjoy each season as it comes then pick and choose a time to go elsewhere for a week or so to enjoy the best other states might have to offer.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:35 PM

14 posts, read 15,484 times
Quote:
300 days of sunshine? No thanks.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 48,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
too late. Moved here... next month will be 4 years..have never looked back. I love the Great Lakes
What city did you end up moving to?? That's awesome that you've been there for 4 years and never looked back

Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseylatelyyy View Post
What city did you end up moving to?? That's awesome that you've been there for 4 years and never looked back
I live in Grand Blanc and thanks for asking

Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
Quote:
One pro that is huge for me is the relative ease of getting around and the lack of bottleneck congestion such as is a daily occurrence in places like Atlanta, Phoenix, Houston, and Orlando.

As bad as last winter was in terms of cold and snow, when we visited Florida in late February I was ready to come home before the week was up. It was warm, sunny, and green. It was also filled with wall to wall people, traffic gridlock, and lines of people everywhere we went. Ironically, I have never appreciated my beautiful Michigan more than when I was in a place that is supposed to be "paradise".
The same thing happen to me. I visited Atlanta for about a week but in 2 days I was ready to head back up north The heat engulfed me and the traffic...well you guys know how traffic is in Atlanta

Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
The same thing happen to me. I visited Atlanta for about a week but in 2 days I was ready to head back up north The heat engulfed me and the traffic...well you guys know how traffic is in Atlanta
My husband talked briefly last winter about moving to an outlying suburb of Atlanta, just because he thought it might be a nice place to live. We were there in February, as I probably already mentioned, and the traffic was beyond belief, it was so backed up and congested. Everywhere that we went in the Atlanta Metro was basically bumper to bumper gridlock (It didn't help that it was 9:30 AM when we ventured out, since I'm told that rush hour in Atlanta lasts almost until lunchtime). He has not mentioned moving there again, lol, but last night we happened to be on eastbound Washtenaw Ave. in Ann Arbor during rush hour and he began to gripe about how bad the traffic was. I reminded him that had we moved to Atlanta it would have been about twenty times worse than that and he was like, "Yeah, what WAS I thinking????". LOL.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:40 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Quote:
I don't really understand why people, at least on forums like these on C-D, tend to downplay the miserable attributes of the weather in the Sunbelt and exaggerate the miserable attributes of the weather in the Midwest and Northeast.
The sunbelter's defense of their weather is laughable at times. Deep down they know the criticism has merit but simply don't want to admit it. In defense of heavy traffic I don't see the problem ... traffic means jobs and MI remains stuck at #4 in highest unemployment after all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan