Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 16,877 times

Advertisements

Curious what the protocol is in the UP regarding living next to public land of any sort - county, state or federal or land owned privately that is open to the public (if that applies). If I were to purchase land/home next to or near said land, would I be able to access it out my backdoor, so to speak, for recreational purposes (skiing, hiking, running, etc) or do you have to drive to a formal trail head every time you want to go skiing or hiking? Just to clarify, I'm only interested in access issues - I'm aware of seasonal issues involving hunting, snow depth, etc. Would love to hear from any avid recreationalists with a hardcore bushwhacking/backcountry mentality. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,236 times
As long as your land abuts up to the public land, you can just walk on over anytime. Or even if it's just down the road, as long as you're sure of the boundry.... you can walk on any time.

Be warned tho, many people who use the public land do not pay close attention to boundry lines (or no trespassing signs) and may wander onto your property. Make sure it's very well marked.

That's not just the U.P. either but the entire state.

Edit: After further thought, some sensitive areas may have trails marked and ask people to stay on the trails due to a "delicate ecosystem". But that is really quite rare when considering the amount of public land out there open for use.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
My brother lived in a home that abuts public land in the LP. He had to move out during hunting season. Once in a while a random bullet would come through the house. Sometimes they did not even hear the shot, just a crack as the bullet came through the wall. It was rare and they were almost always up high (above head level), but he did not want to take a chance on being home when one came through. He just moved out during hunting season. Luckily he was renting so he was able to move to another place fairly quickly (although I think that he was there for at least two seasons).

Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manco219 View Post
Curious what the protocol is in the UP regarding living next to public land of any sort - county, state or federal or land owned privately that is open to the public (if that applies). If I were to purchase land/home next to or near said land, would I be able to access it out my backdoor, so to speak, for recreational purposes (skiing, hiking, running, etc) or do you have to drive to a formal trail head every time you want to go skiing or hiking? Just to clarify, I'm only interested in access issues - I'm aware of seasonal issues involving hunting, snow depth, etc. Would love to hear from any avid recreationalists with a hardcore bushwhacking/backcountry mentality. Thanks.
Aside from the public lands and the standard rules , there is a lot of private lands that are used for recreational purposes. Sometimes its only accessible through other land owners active property, and sometimes its via the many two tracks that criss cross the U.P. The Logging roads were used fo many years, some still are every 10-20 years for logging. There is a lot of loose rules when it comes to using the Forest roads here in the U.P.... I have 2,000 acres behind my house, mostly owned by " investors" from who knows where, that never see the property. I use it everyday, so do my neighbors.
That said , a lot of the private land was and still is , owned by the mining companies and by Michigan land trusts. Some of its traded,some of its off limits , but most of its used by hunters and off road folks. A lot of the Land Trust properties are large tracts and the only way for the owners to afford the taxes is to put them in these trusts. Often the boundary's are very hard to determine, only those that are heavily posted and access roads cabled, are respected by the locals.... There is just so much land , and so few people who want to buy it, when , they can use it for free. Besides , many of the parcels are in 80 to 400 acre lots, some less , like 40 acres, with the hope that someday a developer will come along with the cash.I am aware of several 30,000 acre tracts that are in land trusts, and have been for over 50 years, when the mining company closed and the land was sold off to Wall Street investors and relatives of the original owners.
The problem here is the cost of dividing property. Road access is expensive and townships have lots of rules for dividing property, based on this access to main county and state highways.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM

362 posts, read 695,597 times
My UP property is nearly all surrounded by public land. The feds own the biggest chunk, it doesn't see much use by any one other than people who come to my deer camp as it is accessed thru cramberry bogs and people just don't handle them well. There is a chunk of Michigan state land along one side. That was a little problem for a while as people considered the area a dump and shooting range even in the wee hours of the night. The state has since blocked the area off to wheeled traffic.

We are 2500 feet from the nearest power company line. They want $8000 to $12,000 to run power to our cabin. Thanks but no thankswe can buy a lot of gen. for that kind of money.

Al

Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
My UP property is nearly all surrounded by public land. The feds own the biggest chunk, it doesn't see much use by any one other than people who come to my deer camp as it is accessed thru cramberry bogs and people just don't handle them well. There is a chunk of Michigan state land along one side. That was a little problem for a while as people considered the area a dump and shooting range even in the wee hours of the night. The state has since blocked the area off to wheeled traffic.

We are 2500 feet from the nearest power company line. They want $8000 to $12,000 to run power to our cabin. Thanks but no thankswe can buy a lot of gen. for that kind of money.

Al
I am only 4 miles from Marquette and I had to pay 5,000 for electric to be run up my mountain. I am not complaining however as they upgraded to 400 amp, for free and the rates are very reasonable. I have an all electric house, its cheaper than gas or propane, which I could not get any way.No cable ether, but we do have wired phone lines for our business and satellite for everything else except Internet which is by air card, works great.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,877 times
thanks all for the info, interesting stuff.

how are the bugs there, had a frost yet?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manco219 View Post
thanks all for the info, interesting stuff.

how are the bugs there, had a frost yet?
Bugs are gone mostly by June 15th. Only flys now, if you are somewhat near the Lake. No frost . Very hot summer, record breaking.( 85-95 ) Will be in 60-70 daytime and 44-50 at night for the next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan